Enjoying Making My Own " Moo Goo"

by banished1 6 Replies latest jw friends

• banished1
    banished1

Do you like yogurt? I like to eat a little of it everyday. It is kind of expensive and a hassle to deal with all the containers in addition to getting to the grocery store which is 15 miles away.

So I wanted to make my own yogurt!

Where I rent has a small gas oven and stove. On the top where the burners are, there is a warm spot.
    I call it the "sweet spot" on the stove where I make my "moo goo", or yogurt.

Its so easy! The key is that sweet spot!

I take a glass quart jar or huge drinking glass and fill it 3/4 to the top with cold milk, low fat or regular.

Then I take a scoop of store bought plain yogurt (good kind with lot of bacteria in it) and plop in it and stir it around. I use only a plastic or wooden utensil to stir the mixture.

Then I take about a 1/4 cup of Non Fat Dry Milk and stir it in for the bacteria to eat.

Then I place a small wash cloth on top of the jar and place it on the sweet spot for 10 hours.

At about the 9th hour it is still runny milk, then during the 10th hour an amazing change happens.
    The accidophillus grows rapidly and takes over the milk turning it into a thick creamy goo that I've read is so healthy for the human gut!
    Then I just place it in the frige and chill.

When you get down to the last bit, use it to start your next batch. You never need to buy store bought yogurt again!
    Just buy milk on sale and you have an unlimited inexpensive supply of wholesome yogurt!

One time I cooked something in the oven below while I was making the moo goo on the sweet spot above and the whole oven got too hot and I killed the culture and bacteria.

But other than that one time I have had complete success every batch. I have now made gallons of delicious plain yogurt. I am dieting and on a meatless diet now for a month so this yogurt is a wonderful addition to my whole grains and fruit and veggies.

Other ideas:
    You could add a dollop to a fresh fruit bowl, or in a fruit smoothie, or on top of cream soup.

Thought I'd share,

Banished

• exjdub
    exjdub

banished1,

Thanks for the recipe. My wife and I have always wanted to make our own yogurt and your method sounds straightforward and fairly easy. I am going to copy and paste this on to a Word doc and save in a file. Thanks!

• banished1
    banished1

Hey ExJDub, your avatar! I love it! I have a little dog who looks just like that! I love him sooooo much!
    Is that your dog????

Back to yogurt, yeah, you can make yogurt in any glass container.
    I even made a batch in a large glass vase!!! (Didnt have a clean jar to use)

Its incredible and fun. I kind of view my bacteria as a pet or something.
    And I view the jar on the stove as a nursery of sorts.
    Everything must be kept very clean, i.e. the wooden or plastic spoons used to stir it occasionaly.

I made a batch when I got home from work last night from the remnants of yesterdays yogurt.
    At 1am. it was thick and creamy and I covered the jar with saran and placed it in the fridge.

Now I am smelling the homemade bread from the bread maker. It is almost done. Delicious whole wheat bran bread.
    Lady Lee the other day ran a thread about bread makers. I just got mine about a month ago and am enjoying making homemade bread as well.
    Next goal is soap.
    I want to make my own soap. I downloaded a recipe off the net and will be trying to make my own scented soothing soap!

Glad you enjoyed the moo goo recipe!

• dezpbem
    dezpbem

Interesting. I make my own herbal spa treatments. Body wraps, facials, hair and scalp treatments, etc.

I don't use them on myself though.

I've been thinking of candle making, mosaic, and other home made stuff. I love all things creative.

• LDH
    LDH

so let me get this right, you don't turn the stove on, it's just a 'warm spot'?

• Frog
    Frog

Moo Goo?? If it wasn't for the intriuging title I'd never have come on to this thread! Sounds pretty yum, and good acedpholis for your tummy. I try to steer clear of too much moo anything, I tend to think that milk lactose is for baby cows. But I won't argue that moo goo (especially home made) tastes great frog x

• chrissy
    chrissy

...and i thought you were talking about moo goo gai pan.

homemade yogurt? hmmm.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit