Daniel and politics

by Ozner 2 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Ozner
    Ozner

Dear Friends,

The bookstudy 2 weeks ago was about the political function of Daniel. He was at that time overseer of all the regional kings in Assyria. It is funny to see how the writer of the Daniel-book openly writes about the political function of Daniel, although we as JW's now can and should not operate in a political function. Did you read it also?

Ozner

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Hi Ozner,

I have been blissfully free from WT material for almost 20 years so I didn't read that.

However this is a very interesting issue and I too wonder how the WT rationalises it.

Political responsibility assumed by a Jew in a pagan court is a common feature (among many) of at least three Bible stories (almost novels): Joseph (Genesis 37ff), Esther and Daniel. All of them reflect the problems and dreams of the settled Jewish diaspora long after the Babylonian exile. They interestingly imply, of necessity, a much more open stance than the exclusivism of the Jerusalem returnees (as echoed in Deuteronomy, Joshua or Ezra-Nehemiah). For instance, Joseph and Daniel are associated with "pagan" divination, Esther marries a pagan king -- all things that would be frowned upon in Jerusalem.

• M.J.
    M.J.

I asked a somewhat related question to my wife---why is King Cyrus called "Jehovah's Anointed" by Isaiah, when the rulers of the nations are Satan's?

Her reply, which I assume is the standard one, was that he was being used by Jehovah for his purpose...in that capacity he was His anointed...

But then again, the same could be said of Pharoah of Egypt.

So I deduce that the WTS somehow rationalizes Daniel's political involvement in a means to an end sort of way.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit