If I could go back in time and stop myself from being a JW!

by inquirer 4 Replies latest jw friends

• inquirer
    inquirer

I wish I had a time-machine, to visit my old self and bring myself into the "Internet era" (around 1994 -- that was when yahoo came out anyway) and show sites like these and others and warn the "original inquirer" what I would get myself into.

If only I had a TARDIS! That would do wonders!

Being a Christian, I couldn't do this literally, but I could imagine someone else doing it [no judgment here], go back in time and shoot Charles Taze Russell and Rutherford (just to be sure) in the head and then there wouldn't be anyone affected today. :) Or at least provide information about this cult in the form of books and fliers and so forth... Because there's always 2 sides to the story right? :D

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

i would have never been born if russel wouldn't have founded the watchtower society... that's why i'm glad timemachines and "what if" scenarios don't exist.

and... killing jesus didn't prevent christendom from happening either. could have been stopped back then.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Have a tardis.

• Gill
    Gill

Though I can understand why you would feel that way, Inquirer, I like to turn it around.

We look at our situation like this, if we hadn't been JWs we would never have met and married. We would never had five great kids. We would never have finally been kicked out of our stupor, (husband first) by our 'rebellious' , older children. They saved us from ourselves being 'too scared' to get out of the WTBTS.

We wouldn't get to sit here laughing and sympathising with others experiences in dub land.

We would never have learnt so much about history, bible history, propaganda, brainwashing, heard some great 'experiences', some great jokes and had such great answers to JW crap that is occassionally thrown at us.

All in all, for the good and the bad sides, it has expanded our minds and characters. We understand how the JW mind ticks and how other high control groups work. We're probably the most skeptical, fun loving people we know.

Myself, having been affected my whole life by dub lies and fear, have finally discovered my own real character. I laugh at 'almost' everything,including myself.

So, it's been BAD for all the years we were J dubs but in the end....it was worth it. What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger...in the end.

I know there are some who have lost their lives over WTBTS policy and had worst happen to them because of the WTBTS stupidity and for those....well, they're the ones we really have to think of. Those who have survived WTBTS need all the support they can and one day, hopefully they too get the choice of whether to stay here and try to help the faders or finally feel they can walk away for good from the Watchtower nightmare.

• Frog
    Frog

heya inquirer...if you could go back in time & stop yourself from being a JW...then you know, you wouldn't be you and wiser for it:) I think you can forgive yourself for experimenting in life. It's all trial and error at the end of the day, a long and colourful accumulative experience. frog x

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit