Iraq insurgency and Jehovah's Witnesses

by troucul 7 Replies latest jw friends

• troucul
    troucul

After talking with these folks, the issues they talk about ring a familiar bell. The insurgents are still convinced that Saddam is going to return to power. They will continue these attacks until he is dead. (Whether he will be jailed for life or executed is up in the air.) They still think there is hope for his return. People also believe that if the situation worsens, Americans will put Saddam back into power to deal with the insurgents. (They have a point, the ruthlessness of Saddam and the Ba'ath party is well-documented) The insurgents do not want to be considered disloyal to Saddam while he was absent. Many here have said that at least 50% of the insurgency will end upon his death.

JW's continue despite all the evidence pointing in the opposite direction.

I wish I could expound on this but I have little time. I hope you get the point. Feel free to ask me to clarify.

• Toronto_Guy
    Toronto_Guy

Yes, please clarify more.

I supported the US led invasion, and am still hopeful for a bright future for the people there.

But are the insurgents really fighting for Saddam? From what I've read, the majority of them are not even Iraqi's, and the ones that are are acting mostly out of bitterness toward losing power to the Shiite majority. Also the tenets of Islam and Quran and the need to fight "infidels" also comes into play. Am I right in this? If i'm not mistaken, you are stationed in Iraq, so I'm sure you know much more about the situation than I do.

toronto_guy

• alreadygone
    alreadygone

That is because JW's take Hebrews 11:1 to the extreme. "Faith is the assured expectation of things not yet seen." I have to admit faith is a very strong motivation, but when the evidence continues to mount that it just aint gonna happen, you gotta bail.

With the Iraqis, as long as he (Saddam) is alive, I can see where they will have faith that he is coming back. They don't know any other way.

• Gerard
    Gerard

Saddam Hussein believes he will be back in power and compares his case with that of Nelson Mandela!

• troucul
    troucul

Alreadygone, you doing some Bible research or somethin'? I think hell just froze over.

Toronto, this issue is dynamic. First, you have many people emplacing IED's for money. No more. People are paid X dollars to emplace an IED, and some financiers require a film of the attack before payment is made. Some financiers will pay the family of a person killed in an attack. That was one of the first things I learned upon getting here. For these people, there is no Jihad, it's just a paycheck.

Foreign fighters? Where I am, I haven't seen any. Perhaps further north. Believe me, these jerks get prosecuted to the maximum just for entering the country. Normally it's between 7-20 years just for crossing the border. Yeah, they don't catch them all, and there is corruption at the border, but again, it's all about the Benjamins. Local nationals are the insurgents of choice for the financiers. Not so much foreign fighters.

The Quran? It's not so much the Quran, it's these dickhead mullahs misinterpreting the Quran. (Sound familiar?)

What I was trying to say earlier is that people were so brainwashed into thinking that Saddam is the ruler, that when he did come back, all those who were disloyal would be punished. He did it at least twice. I'm sure you heard the current charge he was facing regarding the 150 or so Shia that he slaughtered when they tried to assassinate him...and some other stuff I am not allowed to discuss.

An interesting story: As of six months ago, Americans would meet people in the western desert, who had no access to television, phone, etc. Dirt poor. Farmers. Mud huts. But they knew Saddam. These dirt poor country people said to Americans, 'Look, we appreciate what you're trying to do, but, if you don't get out of here, Saddam is going to kill you!'---Mind you, this is well after the fall of the government, and well after Saddam's detention.

Iraq is doomed. I may have mentioned it before, but on top of a 30% illiteracy rate, incest is a common practice. Not just second cousin mariage, but first cousin, and sibling marriage. How do you fix this? I ain't gonna worry about it, I'm coming home soon.

Thanks for asking, Toronto

• Celia
    Celia

Hi Andrew,

Yes, come back home soon, in one piece !

Take care

Celia

• alreadygone
    alreadygone

Yeah I figured the only way to get Oki at her game was to find out what she was talking about.

• troucul
    troucul

Unfortuneately, it sounds as if she doesn't know what she's talking about.

Anywho....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit