Washington Post 78 yr old JW Katrina victim kicked out on the Streets

by JT 3 Replies latest jw friends

• JT
    JT

<a href= http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/13/AR2005101301957.html> 78yr old JW Katrina victm kicked out on the streets</a>

this was in the Metro section on friday here in DC, so after i read this article i could not beleive that out of all the congos here in DC MD VA no one made arrangements to help this old 78 yr old jw out as the article says she had dwindling options, why there are over 20,000 jw here in WAshington DC area

-

the article is interesting in that she got booted out of 2 jw homes and No one else picked up the slack

so much for taking care of widows and orphans

as i looked at the title of the article it is sad to think that a jw becomes the "POSTER CHILD" for Uncertainty of ones future

Uncertainty's Second Wave

Hurricane Katrina Evacuees Face Life After the D.C. Armory

By Theola S. Labbe Washington Post Staff Writer
    Friday, October 14, 2005; Page B01

The shelter for New Orleans evacuees at the D.C. Armory was about to close, but Stella Oselem wasn't worried. After weeks of kindness from strangers, Oselem, 78, decided to accept an offer to live in a private D.C. home with someone who shared her Jehovah's Witness faith.

But soon after she moved in, her host went on a trip and put her with another family. Then, about a week later, the second host told her to leave to make room for out-of-town family members, Oselem said.

alt
    Stella Oselem, 78, arrives at her new hotel room in Rockville, emergency housing made possible by the American Red Cross. Stella Oselem, 78, arrives at her new hotel room in Rockville, emergency housing made possible by the American Red Cross. (Photos By Kevin Clark -- The Washington Post)
    Complete Coverage on Hurricane Katrina including video, photos and blogs
    INTERACTIVE MAPS:
    Rita's Aftermath | Katrina's Aftermath
    spacerFULL COVERAGE:
    Latest News, Videos and More
    spacer

Katrina Photos and Video

Hurricane Katrina Hurricane Katrina brought unprecedented destruction to the Gulf Coast. View the Post's multimedia coverage of the disaster. (Reuters)

In Focus -- Accountability

This collection showcases Washington Post reporting on the debate over the government's response to the Gulf Coast Hurricanes and pre-storm planning.

Who's Blogging?

Read what bloggers are saying about this article.

Full List of Blogs (1 links) ยป

With dwindling options, she found herself this week at a walk-in center for Hurricane Katrina evacuees at D.C. General Hospital. She clutched a white slip of paper, a referral for a hotel in Rockville.

"Thank God I got it," Oselem said of the 14-day hotel voucher sponsored by the American Red Cross. Her social worker said she would try to get Oselem's name on a federal housing list for a senior citizen apartment.

For many of the dozens of hurricane victims who moved out of the armory shelter in the final days before it closed on Oct. 4, the adjustment to post-shelter life has been problematic.

They were living in a cocoon at the armory, a 24-hour facility where social workers and volunteers were always on hand to help them stitch together their tattered lives. There was a daily menu of social outings and free tickets to football and baseball games. Strangers become friends, volunteers like family.

With that phase now over, many of the evacuees say they are thinking about their prospects with a greater sense of urgency while feeling less certain of who will help them sort out their future. Those living in hotel rooms relish the comfortable beds, cable television and privacy. But without the camaraderie of the shelter, their isolation is palpable.

On the second floor of the Travelodge hotel on Bladensburg Road NE, Nathaniel Williams, 52, was in his pajamas about 11:30 on a recent morning, and the television was tuned to CNN, which flashed images of New Orleans. He said he was thinking about staying in the Washington area and finding a job. But he still had not received the $2,000 in disaster relief funds that the Federal Emergency Management Agency was supposed to provide to evacuees, he said, and he planned to go to the walk-in center to find out why.

When he arrived on the hospital campus, the FEMA representatives had left. He also had missed his caseworker.

"Another day, wasted," Williams said as he left.

Of the 659 hurricane survivors who have received public services at the armory or elsewhere in the District, 88 have been placed in hotels in the Washington region, 60 in the District, 22 in Maryland and six in Virginia, according to the D.C. Department of Human Services, which is tracking their cases.

Cameron Ballantyne, spokesman for the local Red Cross, said the nonprofit organization will be reimbursed by FEMA for the cost of 14-day hotel stays, which can be extended if there is no other housing option. The job of helping the evacuees find permanent places to live falls to city social workers.

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl

They should be ashamed of themselves. That's how they show love?

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

78 years old? Maybe she moves in then starts accusing everyone of spying on her. Where the hell is her family? She must have a grandchild or neice or something out there.

• Cady
    Cady

I think someone else posted this story earlier and I think the consensus was that there's got to be more to it. e.g., One family I met in the Astrodome I linked up with a family who'd offered their home in Dallas. The man drove all the way from Dallas to Houston (about 3 hours), arriving at 11 p.m., picked up the family and drove them back. I got an email the next morning saying the woman evacuee had started violently throwing up and the host family had taken her to the hospital. Later that day I got another e-mail: they were taking her back to a shelter. How evil! How dare they! Where is the love?

Except for the fact that the woman evacuee has diabetes, which means she checks her blood twice a day. And the host family has an 18-month old baby in the house. The problem? The woman evacuee is also HIV positive.

Cady

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit