Cheesy Books: What's Up in the WT Bindery?

by Room 215 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Room 215
    Room 215

Hi all,
    Does anyone out there have a clue to why all of Brooklyn's latest books are paperbacks? It can't be that aggradizement, property acquisition and construction are superceding book publishing, can it? Whatever happened to the oft-quoted scripture about offering the Almighty ``lame sacrifices'' on the altar?

• nytelecom1
    nytelecom1

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

• joelbear
    joelbear

Cheaper to make
    Wear out more easily and need to be replaced
    Good business sense

• philo
    philo

It came in the UK with the change in the contributions charging system, and scare stories about WTBTS poverty. 'see how poor the organisation is, they are making paperbacks'

Yes it was all about maximising profits.

"It could make a million for you overnight" Paperback Writer (Lennon MaCartney)

philo

• metatron
    metatron

I can't remember the exact figures - a pressroom Bethelite quoted
    them to me but they figured out the cost savings down to the last
    penny on each book.

Brother Knorr hated the thought of paperback books.
    It is literally 'over his dead body' that they made the change.

Gives you a clue about other changes - that were once thought
    unthinkable.

metatron

• BoozeRunner
    BoozeRunner

I agree with Joelbear-PLANNED OBSOLESCENCE. Folks will be buying new books at an increased rate due to paperbacks wearing out quicker.

Boozy

• Room 215
    Room 215

I for one applaud the new cheedy books. They offer mute but nonetheless eloquent testimony to Brooklyn's current priorities.
    What a comedown from the production values of Rutherford! (Remember those thick, heavily embossed and illustrated covers?)

• granny
    granny

My J-Dub FIL told us the Society was forced to go to the paperback books because they were not recouping the cost of printing on the hardbacks. Which I think we all know is not true.

• Vienna
    Vienna

Well, I think the Society is getting a lot less money since the donation arrangement (I mean, I was broke and never put much in the box for the amount of literature I got after that). They are used to a certain "quality" of living, so to speak, and I figure they need to make up for it in as many ways as possible.

Today it's cheaper books, tomorrow it's Bethel food with the WT spin:

Brother 1: "Hey, why aren't they giving us milk anymore with our breakfast cereal?"

Brother 2: "We don't need it! The Society says we can speed up the work and start our daily assignments eariler by eating the cereal right out of these little boxes! It's our new, simplified arrangement!"

• Flip
    Flip

quote]Cheesy Books: What's Up in the WT Bindery?[/quote]

Once again the WTB&TS has translated the meaning of the popular Christian slogan by thinking erroneously, “…everyone should learn how they too can have Cheeses in their lives…”

Flip

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit