"You Can Be Happy No Matter What"?

by AhHah 6 Replies latest jw friends

• AhHah
    AhHah

In my response to Path's post "It's been kind of dead around here lately", I mentioned a book written by Richard Carlson, Ph. D. entitled "You Can Be Happy No Matter What".

I am wondering if anyone else has read it or one of his "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff" books -- if so, what did you think of it?

It helped me put some things in a good perspective and has helped me to take responsibility for and control of my thinking and my feelings so that I have more control of when I feel happy. There are many remarkable insights in the book.

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

I haven't read those particular books, but I have read others dealing with relationships with active alcoholics (my husband). I learned that I am the only one who can control my thoughts and emotions. Getting upset with him changes nothing and only serves to blacken my mood. I have a choice as to how I want to feel. It helps a lot to know this.

• Tigger
    Tigger

I havent read either of those, but a good book IMHO is The Road Less Travelled. by M.Scott Peck.
    It helped me get my head around a lot of things and I feel a lot more settled in my self now.

• waiting
    waiting

Hey AhHah and Tigger,

AhHah! Come Back!

It helped me get my head around a lot of things and I feel a lot more settled in my self now.

I just finished "The Orwellian World of Jehovah's Witnesses" and it had the same affect on me.

I'm now rereading Orwell's 1984 with a new perspective. Believe it or not (!) my old grandmother-in-law (devout jw) gave me that book in 1969, we both read it - and never made any connection. But we were both jw's, so maybe that's our excuse. She was a neat, old woman, btw. Five foot tall and kept her husband in line.....

waiting

• AhHah
    AhHah

Thanks for the recommendations. I just ordered both of those books ('The Road Less Traveled" and "The Orwellian World of Jehovah's Witnesses").

"1984" is one of my favorites. So is "Animal Farm". I intend to reread both of them again soon, through my new eyes of perception.

Edited by - AhHah on 1 October 2000 17:28:15

• waiting
    waiting

Hey AhHah,

Where did you order "Orwellian World of Jehovah's Witnesses"? I tried at Amazon about 4 mos ago, and they said it was out of print - not going to get anymore.

My son, who is at an University, got it from their library.

If you do know of a place to actually buy it - please post so that I can obtain a copy. Really a good book. Would like to have my own copy of I can use my trusty highlighter at will....

AF on his Reseach on the Tower site, does a good breakdown of the book and the WTBTS.

I also like Animal Farm. I think everyone knows the quote: "We're all equal, just some of us are more equal."

waiting

• AhHah
    AhHah

I just ordered both books from Barnes and Noble (bn.com). I checked Amazon as well. I believe that they had it in paperback only, though. In stock, and ships in 24 hours from bn.com.

BTW, good to be back. Thanks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit