Disaster preparedness

by ElderBerry 75 Replies latest jw experiences

• Mikejw
    Mikejw
    Yes, if it’s a localized disaster it might work. But, if it’s a big or national disaster, it won’t help them

If it’s a huge disaster it will take longer to organise but the idea is JWs just outside the affected countries will take in displaced JWs. Yes internationally if needed but as close as possible. It could be a long way away.

The branch offices have disaster relief committees set up and they all have trucking departments ready to bring aid or bring people out. Even flights or boats. The transport department is experienced at getting fast visas and papers for all missionaries who sometimes need to be moved quickly.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Mikejw: every year they have to replace with new supplies

her group overseer and his assistant will look after her if disastrous events happen

she may be asked to take in other JWs displaced by whatever happened

I honestly can't tell if you're being serious or sarcastic. I find it farcical, tragic and infuriating to think of my old Mum being frightened and manipulated like this.

So much for mainstreaming.

• Mikejw
    Mikejw
    Thus if I have to evacuate, my plan is to bug out with one or two well chosen small family groups, people with a similar basic mindset as me, who already have enough to care for their own immediate needs ... but can add something to the collective. However if they are not ready when its time to go, then I'm leaving without them.

Yes this is my plan. I’m a group overseer and my assistant is very capable. Him and his wife have good jobs and spend a fair bit on survival preps.

As a congregation we regularly do camping trips and a little bit of survival training.

We will get a balanced view of older ones and what is best for them. Most times they will choose to stay even if it means they will die, they don’t want to be a burden on younger ones.

There was a JW prepper book series called Flee by EK Jonathan. It was very good actually.

https://youtu.be/lNpGRllxwuk?si=epNsH8GtoVw6UTS3

The local branch offices go to a lot of effort having brothers meet JWs along the way giving food and fuel, repairing vehicles as needed.

The disaster relief committees have things very well planned out. But the very sensitive issue of older and infirm ones being left behind to die is covered in a dignified way. These ones don’t want to be a burden on others and they don’t want to to leave. Give them the choice.

• Mikejw
    Mikejw
    I find it farcical, tragic and infuriating to think of my old Mum being frightened and manipulated like this.
    So much for mainstreaming.

You sound very selfish. You should be grateful that your mum is being looked after in the event of a disaster. How is she being manipulated by being asked to get a go bag ready and be aware of plans in event of emergency? She doesn’t have to go with the congregation. If you or other family members want to take care of her then that would be the best option. Or she may decide to stay if or when the congregation decides to bug out.

the group overseer and assistants just has to make sure she is ok and if there is anything she needs. She will be asked to have a go bag ready and months worth of medication using the oldest first.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Mikejw, there is no disaster coming to rural Buckinghamshire that justifies instilling this fear of catastrophe in an old lady.

She's at the point in her life when she just needs to relax, enjoy the grandchildren and great-grandchildren and be taken care of by her husband and family.

Of course she's being manipulated! These insidious tactics are used simply to engender loyalty and dependence on the cult. How can you not see that?

• LV101
    LV101

Mikejw - Mormans have been prepared for decades for emergencies and have more resources/relief plans, personal protection and most likely most medical/dental professionals on their teams to care for humans than any religious group. Mainstream and Catholics have their fair share of professionals, also. Mormans also claim to be the first relief team during disasters, however, the Baptists have been reported to be so that's something religions crow about. Everyone is number uno (one).

Longy - I agree with you and wouldn't rely on JWs for anything. Thinking about JW membership is manically depressing and would send me into an 'episode' and I'm not bipolar or suffer from depression. Not a good survival plan at any age -- I'd rather face the odds.

• ThomasMore
    ThomasMore

The whioe GoBag avenue was a ploy to keep the sheep stirred up - nothing more- period.

Previously they featured fearful JWs in bunkers hiding. Then they were in open field surrounded by soldiers armed with machine guns, then came the GoBags.

Shame on WTC for trying to frighten the ones they control. It is disgusting!!!

• no-zombie
    no-zombie

MIKEJW:

With respect, I think that you have been watching too many Watchtower 'Watching the News' videos. Yes, it is not hard to get a few people in to a country to have a look or to patch a few roofs, but it a completely different matter to set up a refugee camp to care for 10,000 people and provide them with food and water for months on end.

What the Society is good at however, is passing their problems onto the UNHCR, Red Cross, Oxfam and other NGOs or getting the Brotherhood to just care for Witness refugees personally, while claiming they themselves are some kind of international relief agency.

Because sadly Mike, I don't think that you understand how the Society really runs. You see the Governing Body has compartmentalized each country into individual business units, so that when one goes bust for whatever reason, the contagion doesn't spread outwards. That is why we see money only flow into Warwick and not out. Which means you are not going to see Witness aircraft flying into countries like the West Berlin airlift of 1948, if your part of the world goes under. Why in my city alone, there is 20,000 witnesses. Do you really believe that our disaster relief committee is going to be able fuel all our vehicles, for us to relocate in an emergency?

In Australia, we say ... "you're dreaming, Mate"

So believe me when I say, if something really bad happens, you'll be more alone that you can ever imagine.

• Mikejw
    Mikejw

It’s better to have a go bag and not need it than to need a go bag and not have it

• blondie
    blondie

The whole gobag thing originated with Hurricane Katrina, when the WTS lost all track of some members who used it to fade away. Congregation elders did not have or had out of date lists of phone numbers and addresses of the rank file....the go bag thing started shortly after that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit