The facts on crucifixion, stauros, and the "torture stake"

by Leolaia 175 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Alleymom
    Alleymom
    Leolaia wrote:

It is no secret that Watchtower founder Charles T. Russell and his followers esteemed the cross as a symbol of Christ's redemption of mankind from sin, publishing the cross-and-crown image (a symbol of the Millennial Kingdom) on Watchtower covers and wearing it as a clothing pin. Carey W. Barber, later a member of the Governing Body, described the pin: "It was a badge really, with a wreath of laurel leaves as the border and within the wreath was a crown with a cross running through it on an angle. It looked quite attractive and was our idea of what it meant to take up our ‘cross’ and follow Christ Jesus in order to be able to wear the crown of victory in due time" (1975 Yearbook, p. 148).

Here is a picture of the cross-and-crown pin.

As Leolaia noted in her essay, this image of the cross-and-crown was used on the cover of the magazines until 1931. It is also carved into the faces of the 9-foot memorial pyramid found at Russell's grave site.

In an article in the May 1, 1989 Watchtower, the Society acknowledges that the early Bible Students wore the cross as a lapel emblem.

May 1, 1989 Watchtower pp. 3-5 "Babylon the Great—Fallen and Judged"

"In the early part of our 20th century prior to 1919, the Bible Students, as Jehovah’s Witnesses were then known, had to be released from a form of spiritual captivity to the ideas and practices of false religion. Although having rejected such false teachings as the Trinity and the immortal soul, they were still tainted by Babylonish practices." [...] "The cross was still prominent in their thinking. Some even wore a cross-and-crown lapel emblem, while others sought the respectability accorded Christendom. Then, in 1917, shortly after the death of Russell, a significant change began to take place."

Note that they say "some wore a cross-and-crown emblem" but they don't tell you that the cross-and-crown pins were sold by the Society.
    I recently bought one of the older WT's on ebay. It's the November 1, 1927 issue of the Watch Tower. On page 335 there is a price list for the cross-and-crown jewelry sold by the Society.

The 5/8 inch cross-and-crown pin was $1.50. The 1/2 inch version was a real bargain at only $1.25. Cross-and-crown pendants, with and without chains, were also listed for sale. If anyone is interested, I'll try to scan in an image of the price list for the cross-and-crown jewelry.

The cross-and-crown image is also prominently displayed on the front cover of my 1927 magazine, as was the practice until 1931.

IMO, the May 1, 1989 WT article then goes on to imply that by 1919 the cross-and-crown image was no longer in use, which is not the case. After saying that some of the Bible Students wore cross-and-crown lapel emblems, the article states:

"Then, in 1917, shortly after the death of Russell, a significant change began to take place."

After several paragraphs about what happened in the years 1917-1919 in the organization, the section concludes with:

"False religion still continued to flourish and function, as it had done in ancient Babylon, but in relation to Jehovah’s Witnesses, Babylon the Great had fallen in 1919. They were free from Babylonish restraint!"

I think the average reader would read this article and conclude that "prior to 1919, the Bible Students, as Jehovah’s Witnesses were then known" were "still tainted by Babylonish practices." The cross was "prominent in their thinking" and "some even wore a cross-and-crown lapel emblem." But after 1919 "they were free from Babylonish restraint!"

Wouldn't the average reader take this to mean that after 1919 the cross was no longer prominent in the Bible Students' thinking and there were no longer any who wore the cross-and-crown emblem?

But, in actual fact, the cross-and-crown jewelry was still being offered for sale in the November 1, 1927 Watch Tower.

And, as Leolaia pointed out in her essay, the cross-and-crown image was used on the cover of the Watch Tower until 1931.

Speaking of Rutherford, Leolaia wrote:

He perceived the cross as nothing more than a pagan symbol, as a long-time Witness recalled: "This to Brother Rutherford's mind was Babylonish and should be discontinued. He told us that when we went to the people's homes and began to talk, that was the witness in itself" (Ibid.). It took Rutherford eight years to purge the Bible Students of the cross. His first move against it occurred in 1928, when he instructed his followers at a Detroit convention to discard the "objectionable" and "unnecessary" jewelry. Then in 1931 the emblem was removed from the Watchtower covers. At that point the cross symbol became non-biblical, non-Christian, and ungodly -- and was relegated to the forbidden trappings of Satan's organization.

Marjorie (edited because I can't get the formatting right.)

• Alleymom
    Alleymom

November 1, 1927 Watch Tower, page 335.

• Alleymom
    Alleymom

November 1, 1927 Watch Tower. Scan of page 335. The price list for the cross and crown pins, pendants, and accessories is in the right hand column.

• Balsam
    Balsam

J ust a thought here, but I cannot help but wonder if Rutherford was so determined to distance his organization from Russell that he use the rejection of the cross as one of those ways, like the holidays, and other various things that the Bible students didn't have a problem with. I've never seen it said anywhere, but from the attitude Rutherford had about the Russell and his desire for power and eleminating the Bible students who were still loyal to Russells teachings, it made me wonder. Perhaps that the idea of Jesus dying on a cross was just another of Rutherford's ax jobs.

Balsam

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Where's Scholar?? lol

• observador
    observador

Thanks, Leolaia. That was really good.

Observador.

• jula71
    jula71

Leolaia..WELL DONE!! Like many others, I saved it as a word file to pull out later when I start putting a letter together. I believe early on, the dubs were desperate to find anything to make them look different from other religions. Hence, they grabbed the “torture stake” issue simply for something to point to. And I hate the blanket statement they make, with no evidence, to support their doctrines.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Alleymom....So the WTS was selling cross-and-crown pins just the year before Rutherford told the Bible Students to get rid of the objectionable jewelry? Do you know when those ads stopped appearing in the mags?

Balsam, jula71....I wonder too whether it had something to do with the breakaway Russellite sects who continued to use these distinctive emblems and maybe more than wanting to distinguish himself from Christendom at least (from which they were already pretty distinct), Rutherford's motivation was more with breaking from established Russell tradition. This was the time Rutherford was also getting rid of many Russellite doctrines that had lingered on into the 1920s (e.g. the pyramids, Zionism, Russell as the F&WS, chronological matters, etc.). That was the time when these competing sects posed a threat to the WTS. Nowadays, they are of no concern to the WTS but idiosyncracies such as the cross doctrine do continue to set JWs apart from the rest of Christians, which for JWs can reinforce the belief that they alone have the "truth"....

• Alleymom
    Alleymom

:Alleymom....So the WTS was selling cross-and-crown pins just the year before Rutherford told the Bible Students to get rid of the objectionable jewelry? Do you know when those ads stopped appearing in the mags?

Leo ---

Sorry, I don't know. One way to find out would be to look for someone on ebay who is selling an issue dated after Nov. 1, 1927 and email him to see if the ad is in his issue.

Incidentally, as I took a closer look, the picture I posted appears to be one of the cross-and-crown pendants rather than one of the lapel pins.

Marjorie

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

The Cross and Crown pins were first advertised in the Sept. 1, 1906 Watch Tower. I included info on them at the following link: but my cut off date was the death of Russell in 1916.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/80788/1.ashx

I'm sorry to say that the link to the catalog offering the pins for sale is no longer available.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit