The facts on crucifixion, stauros, and the "torture stake"

by Leolaia 175 Replies latest watchtower bible

• VM44
    VM44

"Nothing taught by the Roman Catholic Hierarchy can be accepted as the truth."

Not surprising that the "Demon Possessed", "I know so much" editor of The Golden Age magazine, Clayton J. Woodworth, would say such a thing.

• marsal
    marsal
    I'm posting here so it will be easier for me to find in the future.
  • R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

Human sacrifice has been relentless through millenia of human existence as some way of controlling people with belief in a deity who needs justice with payment in life! Some people used to be hung on a tree till they bled to death as a ritual to a god!

http://www.answers.com/topic/human-sacrifice

So Jesus was another example! Maybe he was used as some form of 'one sacrifice for all time' to alter beliefs about the need for human sacrifice for whatever reason?

Why did he need to die? It is to suggest huma or animal sacrifice is necessary to justify flaws inherent in us! I do not believe such a premise!! If one human is to die to apease the life of another human then why not let that human die and the innocent remain? There is lots of flawed thinking with the whole idea of 'death for life' IMO and so whatever Jesus died on becomes an irrelevance if you feel the same way!

Many cultures have slaughtered countless millions unecessarily and so the notion a 'Jesus' figure is essential in changing everyones feeling is flawed. Humans are quite able to align with nature and compassion and peacefull living by looking within themselves and working with life to preserve and enhance what already exists.

The idea someone who lived thousands of years ago is our only way to a great holiday in the sky means we become slaves to whichever 'brochure' appeals most to us!

• Eliveleth
    Eliveleth

Leolaia,

WOW!!! I am so impressed with all the time and energy that you put into the research for this

article. I have done a lot of research for my own personal benefit and I know it can take many

hours. I copied and printed this out for my husband to read. He is not a computer person.

I copied into Word and narrowed the margins, filled in the gaps, enlarged the print a bit because

his eyes are not that great. (he is 81). It printed out to 48 pages. I think you asked how many in an

earlier post.

Thank you so much for this. It is the best research I have seen on all aspects of the cross.

Love and hugs,

Velta

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

*sticky note*

• NanaR
    NanaR

bookmarked

• anon17
  • Chalam
    Chalam

Hi,

The main thing to consider is why is it the "torture stake" so important to the WT?

IMHO it is because they want to put as much distance between JWs and the church as possible.

All the best,

Stephen

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Hi Leo,

One of the current discussions at Topix is on the Cross. Hope you can visit. Scroll down.

http://www.topix.net/forum/religion/jehovahs-witness

• wary
    wary

Leolia,

I am impressed by your research and intellectual approach to this and many other subjects you have commemented on and posted here.

Although I am a newbie ,I am awakening from my cultic coma, and reading your posts has helped me, arose my own thinking ability.

I think you should consider publishing a book or a series of papers.

If you got together with the sarcasm of Farkel you could have a best seller to rival the little blue book!

wary

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit