Daniel's Prophecy, 605 BCE or 624 BCE?

by Little Bo Peep 763 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Alwayshere
    Alwayshere
    the context of Jeremiah's letter convincingly demonstrates that the seventy years are of the exiles and not of Babylon's

Scholar,go get your book "Isaiah's Prophecy Vol.1" page 253 par.21.It plainly states the 70 years represent Babylon's World Power. This agrees with History also. For once they told the truth. Now look in your Daniel book page 50, par.9 and see how they contridict their self saying Nebuchadnezzar reigned for 43 years and that dynasty continued for 43 more years, until the death of Belshazzar in 539. they are saying Babylon had World Power for 86 years. On page 131, they say Babylon had WP 607-539, that is 68 years. Now get your Vol. 1 Insight book page 205 under "The fall of the Empire" par.1 states the Assyrisn Empire came to an end in 632. So this would make Babylon the next WP. 632-539=93 years. They not only contridict themself but God's word, look on page 87 of the Daniel book. Daniel plainly says the Tree in Daniel 4:17 represents Nebuchadnezzar and his rulership was to the extreity of the earth. But Society says the Tree represents Jehovah and his rulership. Who do you choose to believe ,God's word or some man who thinks he knows more than God? The next par. 11 Daniel says 7 times would pass over NEBUCHADNEZZAR'S RULERSHIP. but on page 94 par.24 Society says the 7 times is to pass over God's rulership. That is not in the Bible.But Society twists the scriptures so it will look like they know it all. But at least thry are fullfilling Bible Prophecy. 2 Peter 3 16 "the untaught and unsteady are twisting the scriptures to their own destruction."

• AlanF
    AlanF

scholar pretendus cum mentula flaccidus said:

: Excuses, excuses is your pathetic response to my request of you to provide a chronology of the OT and a scheme for the Divided Monarchy.

You're such an idiot. I told you: Thiele gives an acceptable scheme.

Talk about excuses! You offer nothing but excuses. You almost never deal with what a poster actually says, but ramble on as if nothing was said and drag red herrings all over a discussion to try to hide the fact that you have nothing but excuses.

: If it be the case that your Neo-Babylonian is accurate then with all this evidence it should be possible to make an attempt or have a go at least.

How stupid can anyone be? I and other posters have told you over and over that a complete chronology of the OT is irrelevant to Neo-Babylonian chronology because the latter is established by ancient evidence independent of the Bible. Even more irrelevant is the precise date of Jerusalem's destruction. What is relevant is that Neo-Babylonian chronology proves that the Watchower Society's claim of 607 B.C. as the date of Jerusalem's destruction is wrong by some 20 years. Whether it's wrong by 19 or 20 or 21 years is irrelevant, since the WTS date is two decades off. And the importance for this fact is that it proves that the Watchtower's must fundamental teaching is wrong.

You always fail to explain why you claim it's necessary to have a complete OT chronology. It's of no more relevance to Neo-Babylonian chronology than is a chronology of Gaul. This is just another of your red herrings.

: It seems that WT scholars are superior to your scholars because we have a scheme that works, that enables a Bible student to make sense of history and for a Christian to have faith in the prophetic word.

Not at all. What you have is a grand scheme of self-deception -- for which you yourself are a poster boy.

You can't find any Watchtower material whatsoever about the impossible scriptural problems that I've brought up. You can't find any Watchtower discussions of why "le-babel" ought to be translated as "at Babylon". You can't find any secular scholars who support this translation. You can't provide details of the Watchtower's chronology, or show how the Society "solves" the many serious problems in the Bible itself. All you can present is a couple of charts, for which no complete set of supporting evidence has ever been printed. You can't explain why the Society agrees with all of secular historians' assignments of successions and lengths of reign of all the Neo-Babylonian kings, yet differs by some 20 years with the simple process of adding up those successive lengths. Clearly, Watchtower "scholars" can't even manage to do simple sums. That's why intelligent people know that the Watchtower's "scheme" -- which is a very good word for their nonsensical, unhistorical ideas -- is unworkable and antithetical to building real faith in the Bible.

In short, you make many claims, and drag all sorts of red herrings around, but are incapable of actually explaining anything.

You mention "faith in the prophetic word", as if the 607 - 1914 chronology somehow supports such faith. How can it, when every prediction the Society has ever made based on it has failed?

: It seems that all that your Jonsson hupothesis has done for you is to convert you to atheism or agnosticism and you expect to be taken seriously in matters of biblical exegesis.

On the contrary: Jonsson's writings pulled me back to belief in God for a time. It was the Bible's own internal problems that later turned me into an agnostic.

As if that has anything to do with this discussion. Yet another red herring from you -- a sad little cult member with nothing but excuses to explain why he's in his nasty cult.

AlanF

• scholar
    scholar

elderwho

Frankly, WT scholars are not that interested in trying to harmonize Neo-Babylonian chronology. At best we have 624 for the beginning of the dynasty which ends in 539, a span of some 84 years. The regnal data for this period is not reliable but you can try to fill in the pieces yourself using what data is available in our publications. We are more interested in the biblical reigns and those pagan reigns that intersect biblical history.

If the Babylonian gap cannot be filled by means of WT research then that is too bad. Too bad.

scholar JW

• scholar
    scholar

Awayshere

WT scholars have never denied the fact that the seventy years do not refer to Babylonian supremacy as World Ruler. Clearly, its supremeacy lasted for at least 70 years from 607 until 537 whilst the exiled Jews served in Babylon and the land remained desolate for seventy years. This interpretation alone accommodates all of the facts of secular history and the seventy year biblical texts.

scholar JW

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

Frankly, who the hell are these WT scholars? And where did they get their degrees?

• scholar
    scholar

Alan F - Jonsson's boy

At last a chronology for the Divided Monarchy is grudgingly admitted. If Thiele's scheme is acceptable them am I to conclude that you are in full agreement with Thiele's dates.? Yes/No?

The issue of the alleged accuracy of the Neo-Babylonian period is of no great interest to WT scholars and we are not interested in trying to solve impossible questions or harmonization. We have a complete and workable chronology that is simple and covers the entire OT and the Divided Monarchy and we are happy with what information has been provided by the FDS. If you are not happy with this then you do your own research and provide your own chronology for the OT and the Divided Monarchy.

It is important to have aOT chronology because of history. We would like to know the year of Adam's creation, the year of the Deluge etc.The seven times -607 until 1914 is relevant because this is the Gentile Times which points to events fulfilled in our era when we believe prophecies have been fulfilled and yet to be fulfilled.

It is fine that you now admit the influence of the Jonsson hypothesis had on your atheism but has not yet cured your agnosticism. If you are perplexed by the Bible's internal problems how then can you have any biblical chronology or any certain interpretation of the seventy years. If you are having difficulties I suggest that you turn to Jehovah in prayer and study the Bible and not be persuaded by works of higher criticism. I believe that the Jonsson hypothesis is a classic piece of higher criticism because it is loyal to men rather than God.

scholar JW

• Alwayshere
    Alwayshere
    Babylonian supremacy lasted 607-537?
    the land remained desolated 70 years? Watchtower has never denied that the 70 years do not refer to Babylon's supremacy.

You idiot, Babylon was conquered in 539. It sure hurts you to admit the truth,doesn't it? No where in the Bible does it say the land remained desolated for 70 years. If Babylon's supremacy lasted down to 539 it could not have had power in 537. Did you even look up those pages in the Daniel book and the Insight book that i posted? That proves they did deny that the 70 years do not refer to Babylon's supremacy.And what about the contradiction they made of Daniel :4 17 in your Daniel book on page 87 and par.24 on page 94? add 70 years to 539 =609. History says Jehoiakim begin to rule in 609 and the Bible says he ruled 11 years so 609-11=598. Zedekiah ruled next for 11 years. 598-11=587. Jerusalem was laid desolate in 587. 587 down to 537=50 years. Jerusalem laid desolated for 50 years. So simple but like so many have said you are controlled by that cult. If you don't care about your life, stay in there and serve that cult that doesn't care for you or anyone else. They love that money and that is their God.

• ellderwho
    ellderwho
    elderwho

Frankly, WT scholars are not that interested in trying to harmonize Neo-Babylonian chronology.

Doesnt 607 mean a little bit to your doctrines?

At best we have 624 for the beginning of the dynasty which ends in 539, a span of some 84 years.

Is 624 important to harmonize your doctrine?

The regnal data for this period is not reliable

Then 624 is not reliable.

but you can try to fill in the pieces yourself using what data is available in our publications

Your publications are not reliable and do not fill in the gaps. Thats why Im asking you to do it.

We are more interested in the biblical reigns and those pagan reigns that intersect biblical history.

Not by the emphasis the Wt puts on Nebuchadnezzars reign

If the Babylonian gap cannot be filled by means of WT research then that is too bad. Too bad.

This is my point you need the date of 607 not me, and it cannot even by reconciled by your own literature.

• AlanF
    AlanF

scholar pretendus said:

: At last a chronology for the Divided Monarchy is grudgingly admitted. If Thiele's scheme is acceptable them am I to conclude that you are in full agreement with Thiele's dates.? Yes/No?

I will answer that after you answer the question that Alleymom has been asking you for a long time:

Do you fully agree with the Watchtower's assignment of dates to the reigns of the Neo-Babylonian kings?

Your handling of this will demonstrate your hypocrisy.

: The issue of the alleged accuracy of the Neo-Babylonian period is of no great interest to WT scholars

Really. Then why does the Society disfellowship people for disagreeing with its false claims about the period?

: and we are not interested in trying to solve impossible questions or harmonization.

So you admit that Watchtower writers can't handle the facts -- facts which all proper scholars of the period have no trouble at all incorporating into a harmonious whole.

: We have a complete and workable chronology that is simple and covers the entire OT and the Divided Monarchy

No you don't. You merely claim it to be complete, and you ignore a great number of pieces of data -- in particular, scriptural data -- that unassailably disprove your claims.

: and we are happy with what information has been provided by the FDS.

Uh huh. And you'd be happy to drink cyanide-laced Koolaid if those idiots provided it.

: If you are not happy with this then you do your own research and provide your own chronology for the OT and the Divided Monarchy.

I've already done it. That's why I know that Watchtower chronology is bunk. You know it, too, but are too braindead to admit it. You know it, because all readers can see how all of your arguments have been destroyed, and you've now retreated to a dreary repetition of masturbatory generalizations.

: It is important to have aOT chronology because of history. We would like to know the year of Adam's creation, the year of the Deluge etc.

All irrelevant to the fact that accurate Neo-Babylonian chronology disproves the most important "pivotal date" in Watchtower chronology.

: The seven times -607 until 1914 is relevant because this is the Gentile Times which points to events fulfilled in our era when we believe prophecies have been fulfilled and yet to be fulfilled.

You forget your Watchtower history, and you neglect the fact that everything the Watchtower ever predicted, based on its interpretation of "Bible chronology" and "Bible prophecy", has failed.

C. T. Russell picked up the date 1874 from Nelson Barbour along with many other dates, including the 1914 date. Barbour had falsely predicted 1874 as "the end of the world", and 1914 was one result of his attempt to salvage his false prediction. Russell went on to make many predictions about what would happen in 1914. Not a single thing came to pass. Until 1943 the Society, according to its own literature, taught that the critical period of "the Gentile times" ran from 606 B.C. to 1914 A.D. Obviously, people who cannot do simple arithmetic cannot be trusted to decipher hard things like Bible chronology and Bible prophecy. Until 1926 the Society taught that Jesus had invisibly returned in 1874, at which point it decided that he had returned in 1914. Eventually, all of Russell's dates were abandoned. This proves beyond dispute that nothing Russell taught about Bible prophecy, or supposedly prophetically significant dates, was right. In view of this history of false interpretations, and the massive amount of secular chronology that disproves the 606/607 date for Jerusalem's destruction, there is nothing left of the Watchower's date system.

As to events supposedly fulfilled in our era, there are none. You cannot point to any. You know it, and you won't even try. The Society has systematically been abandoning its claims about "the composite sign" based on its false claims about Matthew 24 and related passages. The likelihood of dying in an earthquake was at least 2-4 tmes lower in the 20th century than in all previous centuries for which records are available. The likelihood of dying by pestilence or famine was far lower. The likelihood of dying in war was almost the same as in most previous centuries. The fact that the world's population increased at an ever-faster rate during the entire 20th century than in previous centuries proves that these traditional killers were operating on a lower level. Thus, 1914 was not a prophetic turning point in the way the Society claims. Thus, your desire to have "the Gentile times" calculation point to 1914 as a signficant date in Bible prophecy is proved to be a pipe dream.

: It is fine that you now admit the influence of the Jonsson hypothesis had on your atheism

What do you mean, "now admit"? I've publicly stated this for years on various discussion boards. I've told you this many times. Your stupidity continues to amaze me.

: but has not yet cured your agnosticism.

Jonsson has nothing to do with my agnosticism. The Bible itself has everything to do with it.

: If you are perplexed by the Bible's internal problems

I'm not, any more than I'm perplexed by the Koran's internal problems.

: how then can you have any biblical chronology or any certain interpretation of the seventy years.

I've already explained this: any competent reader can take note of what a piece of literature says, and make conclusions based on that. It is not necessary to believe that a piece of literature is true in order to understand what it says and draw conclusions from it.

This is one of your incredibly stupid red herrings. Jonsson fully believes in the inspiration of the Bible, yet you discount his ideas.

Point is: the viewpoint of commentators is irrelevant to their ability to comprehend what they're commenting on. You know this, and the fact that you attempt to use my viewpoint to discount what I say is a transparent ad hominem designed to throw stupid readers (of which you are the most prominent by far) off the track.

: If you are having difficulties I suggest that you turn to Jehovah in prayer and study the Bible and not be persuaded by works of higher criticism. I believe that the Jonsson hypothesis is a classic piece of higher criticism because it is loyal to men rather than God.

Nonsense. Jonsson's work is loyal to his God and to good scholarship. The Watchtower is loyal to neither. You yourself are a fine example of this disloyalty, because you lie and lie ane lie, proving that you have no respect for the one the Bible calls the God of truth.

As I said you would in my previous posts, you failed to deal once again with any specific facts that I brought up in my previous post. That proves your intellectual dishonesty. You offer only lame excuses, never any real explanations for anything you claim. Obviously you're going to continue on this self-destructive course.

I find it amusing that every poster on this thread has made mincemeat of your claims, and you ignore pretty much all of their disproofs of your silly claims.

AlanF

• scholar
    scholar

Alan F - Jonsson's boy

You have not yet provided a chronology of the OT and nor have you provided a chronology of the Divided Monarchy except by claiming that Thiele' is acceptable, which is a meaningless statement. Your so called Neo-Babylonian is in fact for all practical purposes useless.

WT chronology is complete a workable framework completely suitable for Christians and those loyal to God's Word. There are no pieces of scriptural data that conflict with it. Put your claim to the test and provide a list of texts that conflict with it.

I have already provided a tentative list of the Reigns of the Neo-Babylonian dynasty as described in WT literature.

scholar JW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit