What are the baptismal vows, then and now?

by avishai 6 Replies latest jw friends

• avishai
  • under74
    under74

I don't know. I was never baptized.

But....BTTT

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

The questions at the time of baptism, from Freeminds:

In line with these sentiments, in 1985 the Society changed the baptismal vows such that new Jehovah's Witnesses committed themselves not only to God, but to the Watchtower Society. This is evident from the baptismal vows published over the years. The baptismal questions from the Aug. 1, 1966 Watchtower (p. 465) were:

(1) Have you recognized yourself before Jehovah God as a sinner who needs salvation, and have you acknowledged to him that this salvation proceeds from him, the Father, through his Son Jesus Christ?

(2) On the basis of this faith in God and in his provision for salvation, have you dedicated yourself unreservedly to God to do his will henceforth as he reveals it to you through Jesus Christ and through the Bible under the enlightening power of the holy spirit?

The May 15, 1970 (p. 309) and May 1, 1973 (p. 280) issues printed slightly revised vows. The newest baptismal questions were set forth in the June 1, 1985 (p. 30) Watchtower:

(1) On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?

(2) Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah's Witnesses in association with God's spirit-directed organization?

Note how different the second vow is from the earlier versions. The Society has managed to get newer members to, in effect, join a worldly club from which their membership can be terminated at any time by the Society (disfellowshipping) while at the same time convincing these newcomers that they have only dedicated themselves to their Creator. Can any actions be more devious?

• geevee
    geevee

Hi, I signed up under the old questions.....am I free?

• Sunspot
    Sunspot
    Hi, I signed up under the old questions.....am I free?

HAH! Fraid not!

I clearly remember sitting at the assembly when the "change" was made in 1985, I had just bent over to retrieve a pen that had fallen as this was being read. It sounded so awkward and different somehow, and I recall sitting bolt upright at that moment and going over it in my head and wondering what was going on.

Being a good little JW, just ended up shrugging it off and heading down to lunch. After I left in '99 nad actually SAW the changes ad all the rest of the sneaky deception of the WTS, this made me even more angry!

I was (and still am) upset that for something as important as a life-changing event as baptism---that those of us who were baptized in the past would not have any say in these changes that would affect us. Funny how so many others must have done the same, just shrugged it off and went forth as obedient sheep.

Annie

• rebel8
    rebel8
    am I free?

That makes me wonder about something else. When I was preparing for baptism <skin crawls>, I was instructed to call the Catholic church where I was christened and to demand my name be taken off the rolls as a Catholic. I did so, and ashamedly, I was rude <hangs head, skin still crawls>. The church refused to remove my baptismal record. The elders said I was free and clear because I did my best <vomit slowly rising in throat>.

So. What if I call the dubs and similarly demand my baptismal record be removed? What would they do?

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool
    I was (and still am) upset that for something as important as a life-changing event as baptism---that those of us who were baptized in the past would not have any say in these changes that would affect us.

I was very angry about this too. As far as I was concerned, no man or group of men had the right to change the terms of my personal vows to god.

Walter

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit