The intcal13 dataset: The best evidence I know of for C14 dating.

by bohm 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• bohm
    bohm

Carbon 14 dating is often dismissed as relying on the assumption the C14/C12 ratio in the past has been comparable to the present, however what is rarely acknowledged is this assumption can be checked. 

The way the assumption is checked is by finding a system which admits dating independent of C14. Popular choices are dendrochronology, where tree-rings are counted and by matching variation in tree-ring width across trees it is possible to build a chronology stretching back 12000 years, or varvas, where yearly variations in sediment deposits in lakes admit chronologies to be build stretching back tens of thousands of years. By C-14 dating either the tree in a tree-ring chronology, or microfossils of plant remains in a varva chronology it is then possible to check if the C14-date match the estimated calendar date.

I was curious how close this match was and what the actual data looked like. I therefore went to http://intcal.qub.ac.uk/intcal13/ and downloaded the full intcal13 dataset which i have plotted in the figure below. Each point represents a specific sample which is dated using an external method (the x-axis) and by C14 (y-axis), and the different colors represents 23 different datasets roughly corresponding to multiple dendrochronological datasets from multiple regions and involving multiple tree species, the famous lake Suigetsu varva chronology (the green dots from dataset 9 which appear almost like a solid line!), various coral chronologies and chronologies from speleothems (cave stones). 

If the WT interpretation of genesis is true, all C14 dates must refer to ages less than 6000 years, and properly less than 5300 years reflecting noahs ark. The question is now why all these systems agree with the C14 date; the only explanation is they, though being composed of vastly different processes,  for some reason experienced an explosive growth at just the same rate as C14 was being created in the atmosphere, however why all these systems should behave the same way is clearly a mystery. 

Here is a close-up for the past 10000 years. Can anyone spot the effect of noahs ark?

• bohm
    bohm

Hm. It appears the forum re-scale the pictures. here are high-resolution versions:

http://www.filedropper.com/myfig1

http://www.filedropper.com/myfig2

• bohm
    bohm

Tried the cd and this is how the wt responds to the topic:

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/s/r1/lp-e?q=varve&p=par

Anyone tried this argument irl?

• bohm
    bohm

gh-res versions as PNG (see above for PDF):

• konceptual99
    konceptual99
    Great work.  You have forgotten though that the C14 ratios were all mucked up cos of the flood.  Der brain.
  • prologos
    prologos
    Das Brain? 
  • konceptual99
    konceptual99

no... der brain - it's a slightly unpc, childish way of referring to someone of below average intelligence.

Think schools kids taking the mickey out of each other.

• bohm
    bohm
    konceptual99: Yah i get the "noahs flood f#cked up c14" would be the standard response, but i wonder if anyone has tried asking if noahs flood is really supposed to have mucked up dendrochronology, varves, corals and speleothems and this is just counting the standard C14 callibrations. Seems like it would sound far fetched to even a true believer. 
  • kaik
    kaik

C14 is not only the one that is used in radiometric dating and commonly used for dating material under 50K old. There are dozens others that can be used to measure Earth's age and even estimate the age of the universe. Either way Earth is much older than 6000 years.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Bohm - even some very intelligent dubs I know are completely dismissive of c14 science.  They could not care less about the verification processes.  As you have pointed out the publications don't even address this side of things so many dubs have zero knowledge of it.  I was the same when I was mentally in. 

The fact that the WTS have hardly mentioned many aspects of science fir years such as C14, common ancestry and other areas where the current evidence is overwhelming says it all to me.  

They want us to accept ever changing new light but not consider how far science has come in 30 years. 

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit