Was Johnny Carson pro JW?

by HappyDad 33 Replies latest jw friends

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Does anyone remember one of his shows from the late 1970's when John Denver was on the show? I never saw the show but heard about it in the JW circle (urban legend??)

It was known that John Denver hated JW's and during their bantering, Carson asked Denver about his asking JW's to leave during his concerts. When Denver confirmed this was true, Carson said: "I have an Aunt who is a JW" and see that cameraman there? He is a JW and one of the finest people I know.......so now I'm throwing you off of my show". And from what I heard at the time, Denver got up and left.

Is any of this true......or just more JW legend?

HappyDad

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

Lets hope its not true HD....... I just read a thread where everyone here was saying what a loss his death was........ they'll be kicking themselves if this were true.

• Stefanie
    Stefanie

I heard the same thing, and always wondered if it was true.

Anyone know?

• seawolf
    seawolf

I've heard the same thing. I do remember Johnny making several JW jokes though. One in 1989 was when he would hold up a picture and then say a funny caption for it. The one he held up was a man kicking open the door and Johnny said "the world's most persistant Jehovah's Witness."

• seawolf
    seawolf

I looked into this more.

According to John Denver's page at imdb.com, he was on "The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson" 16 times from August 1972 through October 1990. This incident , to my knowledge, would have happened long before 1990. I find it really hard to believe that if this did happen John Denver would ever go back on there.

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

Well it is true. And I shoud know, I'm Johnnies Aunty. and I'm still at Bethel

Aunty Carson (aged 106)

• seawolf
    seawolf

Why are you reading this site instead of reading your fine spiritual food in your magazines?

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

I may be 106.....but I'm ambydextrious.......I can do both. Be off with you, you young whippersnapper, else I'll set the camera man on you.

• seawolf
    seawolf

Actually, I am the cameraman. How ya doing auntie?? I still remember that special night we shared after John Denver was on. That really brought us together.

• peggy
    peggy

Scoobysnax,

Why would ones kick themselves just because it is possible that Johnny respected his aunt and cameraman? I have no idea if this is a true story or an urban ledgend. The point is that all people who deserve respect, should receive it, no matter what religion, race, gender, or age. Believe it or not, there are JW's who are deserving of respect, and many who are not.

If John Denver hated ALL JW's based on a bad experience, would he hate ALL black people, gay people, young people, so on and so on........because he had a bad experience? That would in fact be very close minded.

I have very good memories of entertainment from JOHNNY! I respect his ability to perform. I don't know the man.

RIP Johnny!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit