The Awake magazine: In A Realm Beyond Dumb?

by metatron 23 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

I hold in my hand a typical Awake magazine (Jan. 8, 2005) - entitled "Can Planet Earth Be

Saved?". Of course, it trots out the usual formula of half truths that has brought the Watchtower

Society so much success in prophesying imminent doom - across 120 years!

Never mind the success of antipollution programs, never mind the huge increase in forestation

in the US brought on by industrialization ( which returned huge farming areas to nature),

never mind that Canada may have 400 years worth of oil sands and thereby what could be

the second largest reserves in the world, .... I could go on and on .. but wait! the Awake

is building to a climax!!!!!

Can Earth Be Saved? Well, the article concludes:

"Under God's direction, the earth will also be cleansed of pollution and mankind will learn

how to live in total harmony with the environment. How can we be sure of that?

The Bible says that the earth "will not be made to totter to time indefinite or forever"

(Psalm 104:5)." (pg. 11)

This is in a realm beyond dumb, isn't it? The "guarantee" says that the earth might exist

for an indefinite period of time - or it might last forever. The so-called "guarantee" in the

New World Translation doesn't exist because they have stuck "time indefinite" into every

text that speaks about the earth's ultimate fate! THERE IS NO GUARANTEE!

And while we're talking about DUMB, let's consider the brief article on page 29

called "Church Doors Closing". While you are considering this negative report about

some Catholic churches in the US, you might want to know that Jehovah's Witnesses

in Japan shut down 639 congregations there between 1999 and 2004. ( see yearbooks)

Does that rafter in your eye ever feel sore, Brother Awake Editor?

metatron

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

I know - they firstly claim that mankind is ruining the earth; and then they also absolve the complacent dubs of doing anything to stop it by shucking all responsibility onto God.

I mean, I believe in God, but I also believe in people. I don't buy into the doom and gloom claims of extremist eco-groups; but I at least can respect the desire for action. They believe, and act in accordance with those beliefs. But the dubs just wave theri hands, say its hopeless, and promptly go back to reading their mass-produced four color magazines on glossy paper pulled from the finest American trees.

Morons. If they really believe that things are as terrible as they say, then why don't they do something about it? Why do they look evil in the face and say, oh goody, it means god is coming.

CZAR

• Tigerman
    Tigerman

The Awake . . .'Can Planet Earth Be Saved?'

Be saved from whom, the extraordinarily negative inducing mindset of a group of men who's driving force in life is to plant seeds of doubt so they may harvest the fruit brought forth from those very seeds?

• Poztate
    Poztate
    I hold in my hand a typical Awake magazine (Jan. 8, 2005) - entitled "Can Planet Earth Be

Saved?". Of course, it trots out the usual formula of half truths that has brought the Watchtower

What I find really annoying is the fact that they ALWAYS ask everything as a question.

If they are really god's org they would state that we believe the planet earth will be saved.

On the other hand the 6 billion people now on the face of the earth will perish since they didn't sign up.

What a bunch of crap...

• Tigerman
    Tigerman

I mean just look at that title, ' Can Plane Earth Be Saved?' It immediately produces in the recipient a sense of ,"Gee, I don't know ! Can it ? Maybe if I look inside this magazine it will tell me HOW the planet will be saved? And , of course, although I'm not very well educated, I DO have a good heart and I so want this person in front of me to know I care ( and I won't seem too dumb to them ). Sure, give it to me."

The beginning of the end.

• Quotes
    Quotes

The "Bad Watchtower Science" is an trend of longstanding.

I just received a copy of the "Golden Age" magazine (i.e. early Awake!) from August 17, 1932.

Guess what the lead article, "GRAVITATION AND ELECTRIC ENERGY" is about????

Give up????

Let me tell you: It says that the planets are held in orbit by ELECTRICAL ENERGY, *NOT* gravity. That's right, you heard if from Watchtower publishing first: GRAVITY IS WRONG!!!!

Oh, it also says that "electrons" from the sun striking the earth cause it's rotation.... no, I am NOT kidding.

I will be scanning and adding this to my Watchtower Quotes site in the near future -- hopefully before Har-Mageddon! ;)

Sorry, didn't want to hijack the thread, I just thought that the Watchtower's analysis of science is really, really bad, and has been for a long time!

~Quotes, of the "Not even Maxwell's Equations could prove this electric charge, not gravity" class

• Panda
    Panda

Ya' know minimus ALWAYs asks questions

• MungoBaobab
    MungoBaobab

In the December 22, 2004 Awake they found some poor marine biologist who agreed to be interviewed about seahorses a Dr.Keith Martin-Smith, presumably of Australia. Decent enough fluff article until the last paragraph. After a doom and gloom prediction from someone described only as a "researcher," they quote Dr. Martin-Smith saying "There is definately goodwill out there among people. Our job is to make more people care about the earth's living creatures. When that happens, change will occur. Perhaps if we can save the sea horses, we can also save the seas." Then Awake condescendingly adds, "Pehaps. Happily, though, there is a more reliable source of hope.-Revelation 14:7" So some unwitting scientists actually takes the time to do an interview with "Awake! Writer in Australia," probably for free, and what attitude does the writer take with him? "Yeah, yeah, yeah. Just tell us about sea horses, and we'll just discredit anything you say that we don't agree with."

• Maverick
    Maverick

The WTS is very good at presuppositions. "Can Planet Earth be Saved?", presupposes that the Earth is not in a safe state, that it is understood that the Earth is well on its way to ruin. They do this a lot! One needs to question their very questions and assumptions to qualify whether those questions are even worth answering (valid). Mav

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41
    And while we're talking about DUMB, let's consider the brief article on page 29

called "Church Doors Closing". While you are considering this negative report about

some Catholic churches in the US, you might want to know that Jehovah's Witnesses

in Japan shut down 639 congregations there between 1999 and 2004. ( see yearbooks)

Does that rafter in your eye ever feel sore, Brother Awake Editor?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit