Read the bible (NWT) in one year

by unbeliever 9 Replies latest jw friends

• unbeliever
    unbeliever

I was looking at the jw list that NikL posted and I came across this:

Read the bible in one year. The guy broke it down day by day. If you follow it you will have read the whole bible in a year.

http://members.cox.net/dwsilver/BibleReading.doc

I cannot imagine taking the time to put that list together.

• boa
    boa

Been there, done that at the Big House. (bethel)

Its called punishment by god for being so stupid so as to throw your life away for a publishing corporation.

We had a laminated card with the whole year broken down as well. I didn't follow it since I finished 4 mnths early.

Thank whatever powers that may be, reading the bible in that first year is what gave me the push to realize the wts is full of hoo haw and I needed to get out!

boa...

• FairMind
    FairMind

I read the Bible from cover to cover after an Elder asked in a public talk "how can you call yourself a Christian if you've never read the entire Bible?” I took my time (about four months) and feel I benefited tremendously. Down through the years the scriptures have allowed me to discern WT hypocrisy.

FM

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I hated the NWT, even when I was a dub I thought that the translators must have been the most soulless people on the earth, lifeless doesn't even begin to describe it.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

I actually read it cover to cover through these little programs about 6 times

The last time was right before I signed off for good. About half way through I stopped and was just thinking all I'm doing is speed reading 3-5 chapters a day... I don't even THINK about what I'm reading I'm just burning hours... whats the point?

I'm getting ready to start again and this time I'm going to read it slow and MEDITATE on what its saying! (fyi I don't think that it's the word of god but I think that with so many BELIEVING that it is we should be well "versed" in it :-)

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I still read it daily -although I have the NWT on my shelf, I rarely read it. With the WTS emphasis on use o a single scripture here and there to prove doctrine - I have found their scripture index easy to use. Also since the phraseology is familiar it helps me to find particular verses - but I do my reading mostly in the NKJV or the NIV.

I do view it as the word of God - please do not deluge this thread with attacks on that issue.

Just My Opinion

Jeff

• Dawn
    Dawn

If you do decide to pick up a bible again - take a look at the translation called "The Message" - it's a lot easier reading. I like it. I wouldn't use it as my ONLY reference, but it is good for general bible reading.

• mineralogist
    mineralogist

Hi mkr32208, i did it 5 times after getting hold of that schedule and even invited some of my congregation to the the same (one sister did it, but she is also out of the borg now). I even read it the first time for the first months in english As you wrote: sometimes i just got to read a couple of chapters to keep on track.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208
    one sister did it, but she is also out of the borg now

I wonder what percentage who actually READ the bible end up leaveing the borg? I know that everyone in SAYS that they read it 24/7 hell thats all they do! I just have to wonder, now that I think about it I never really got the impression that they ACTUALLY wanted me to read it from cover to cover! They SAID they did but they really only wanted you to read about 50-75 scriptures over and over and over!

• jwsons
    jwsons

That's my first year in Bethel (compulsory)

jwsons

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit