British Museum

by fleaman uk 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Mutz
    Mutz

The first time I visited the British Museum we were still allowed to wear ordinary clothes, the second time orders came from on high to wear a suit and tie, I just wore the tie with normal trousers and a shirt.
    The last time I visited was when my ex was over from Italy and we spent two days there. It's a far more interesting experience when you study a little bit about the exhibits beforehand.
    It's far better too without the blinkered, narrow viewpoint of the WT Society guiding you.

• Dansk
    Dansk

Hi Fleaman UK,

Here's a great website put up by an exJW I've had the privilege of meeting.

http://www.607v587.com/

This is taken from his website:

I started my research by telephoning the British Museum and spoke to Mr Walker, the Assistant Curator of Babylonian Antiquities. He became pivotal in my researching of the Society’s teaching.

I exhaustively questioned Mr Walker about all the evidence that I had already come up with in support of the 587 BCE date and went on to ask him why historians favour this date over the Society’s 607 BCE date.

In response, he explained that there is numerous evidence to back up the 587 BCE date, and thus, directed me not only to all the artefacts available, but also to all the books I should study in order to make up my own mind.

I know you already realise 607 BCE is baloney, but the point is there are many artefacts at the museum to PROVE it! Go to the museum (perhaps it's best to telephone beforehand so that they can be ready to show you what they've got) and ask to see the evidence. This evidence is quoted in Carl Olof Jonnson's book The Gentile Times Reconsidered. I couldn't put the book down, even though it's a bit heavy in parts. Most of the tablets disproving the 607 BCE date are, I believe, not on public view but are stored below in a vault.

All the best,

Ian

• City Fan
    City Fan

Dansk,

Most of the tablets disproving the 607 BCE date are, I believe, not on public view but are stored below in a vault.

I recently had some correspondence with Dr John M Steele who is currently working at the museum transcribing and analysing many previously unpublished tablets. It's thanks to the work of scholars like him that we have so much evidence for the chronology of the Neo-Babylonian period.

Here's a link to a description of his work: http://www.royalsoc.ac.uk/page.asp?id=1559

His Chronology Scholarship is from the Caeno Foundation whose site explains among other things VAT 4956: http://www.caeno.org/

(I contributed a little to the VAT 4956 analysis myself. )

• fleaman uk
  • fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

Ian and City Fan

Thanks for the info Chaps.Much appreciated!Its certainly given me food for thought.I will go there in the New Year (i love the place anyway)and continue with my own research too.

I just wish Mum and Dad would come with me.Sigh.

• Dansk
    Dansk

Fleaman UK,

You're very welcome. Mum and Dad may join you one day!

City Fan,

Thanks for the info!

I contributed a little to the VAT 4956 analysis myself. )

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Reading some of your Ancient Bible History posts shows your profound knowledge of your subject and I salute you!

Ian

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

When I lived in the South I had the dubious honour of organising several congregation outings to the British Museum, where we worked through the Meander Company's list of tours. At the time we thought they were wonderful , but now I know that they were full of inaccuracies (That is being polite)...A lot of fun though and the museum was wonderful. I would love to go back and see the recent improvements.

Like others I have pondered on the fun that could be had by tagging along and raising a few pointed questions from what we know now.

Incidentally, we used to envy the guides who were pioneers counting their time. A great way to get in your ministry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit