Review: Draw Close to Jehovah Book

by Sirona 27 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Sirona
    Sirona

I read the Draw Close to Jehovah book because a Jehovahs Witness told me that it had some ?deep? spiritual information in it. The book appears, at first glance, to be all about knowing Jehovah God and his attributes. The book is divided into sections, each of which relate to different things that the bible tells us about God. Is its true purpose purely to help us to be close to Jehovah God?

I have never read a Watchtower publication whose true purpose is so cleverly shrouded. This book?s sole purpose is to leave the non-JW reader with an embedded belief that they didn?t have before:

Jehovah God = Watchtower
    Watchtower = Jehovah God

This may sound extreme, but I intend to show you how I reached that conclusion. The writer uses various strategies that are designed to disarm the reader and gradually begin to influence them.

Strategy One: A new format

The format of this book is designed to subtlly influence. Other Watchtower publications (such as the ?Live Forever? book for example) have clearly defined ?sections? which are loosely arranged as ?here is the doctrine? then (at the end of the book) ?here is what we think you should do about it?. With the Draw Close to Jehovah book the writer uses an entirely different strategy.

The entire book is presented as purely providing more information about Jehovah and how we might draw close to him. What the reader doesn?t realise is that it is also littered with the suggestion that there is something ?more? required and that ?something? is not drawing close to God, it is drawing close to the Watchtower organisation. Because the suggestion is hidden within the other ?scriptural? information, it is difficult to identify and guard against.

Strategy Two: ?Relax. We?re Christian just like you?

Basically the first chapter lays the groundwork by saying absolutely nothing that is controversial. It talks about Jehovah as a Loving Father who wants to be close to us all. This chapter would be seen as a favourable summary of God the Father by most Christians, and it would be a comforting introduction for the non-religious person. However, it does not answer the question that the book is supposed to be answering ?How do we ?Draw Close to Jehovah??

The fact that this question is not answered yet serves the purpose of 1. building anticipation in the reader for this secret of how to know God 2. puts the writer in a position of power (the writer has, up until now, quoted scripture and suggested that ?he? has a special knowledge of God).

This second point leads us to the next strategy used:

Strategy Three: ?We know something you don?t?

The very first page of this book is presented as a letter to the reader: ?May this book help you to draw ever closer to Jehovah God, to forge a bond with him that will never be broken, so that you may live to praise him forever.?

This letter hints that the writer knows how to help you draw close to God himself.

The next chapter entitled ?Can you really ?Draw Close to God??? mentions briefly that Jesus is involved. The paragraph is entitled ?Jehovah Has Opened the Way? and says ?Yes, Jehovah arranged for Jesus ?to give his soul a ransom in exchange for many? (Matthew 20:28) Our faith in that ransom sacrifice makes it possible for us to be close to God.?

Christians would agree with that, also the following section which mentions the benefit of bible reading. Now the reader feels secure that this is a book which is based upon scripture, a Christian reader will note the mention of Jesus and be comforted. Then and only then do the Watchtower writers begin to hint that theirs is the only way. It starts with the paragraph ?A Study Aid to Help Us?

?Searching for Jehovah involves coming to know his qualities and ways as revealed in the bible. This study aid that you are now reading is designed to help you in that endeavour?.

Isn?t it revealing that the Watchtower is telling the reader that they might actually need more than faith in Jesus and bible reading? Why would a Christian need any further ?help? in the matter?

As you read on, the book becomes more and more littered by these ?subtle? suggestions that faith (In God and Jesus Sacrifice) alone isn?t good enough.

Strategy Four: ?There are true Christians and there are False Christians?

Up until now the Christian reader thought that all faithful Christians were approved of by God.

One sentence in the fourth chapter begins introducing the idea that there are Christians who don?t know these ?important? things:

?Yet, few in today?s world truly recognise God?s power. Still fewer view it properly?

Then here another subtle hint at an ?approved group of Christians? in paragraph 9

?Jehovah also exerts power through his authority as Universal Sovereign. Can you imagine having millions upon millions of intelligent, able subjects eager to do your bidding? Jehovah wields such power. He has human servants, often likened to an army?

It is notable that the writer immediately goes on to talk about angels rather than expanding upon the army of human servants. Again, this shows how the writer uses the strategy of telling the reader this information in as subtle a way as possible ? in between the scriptural information about God.

Strategy Five: ?Questions for Meditation?

Each chapter has ?Questions for Meditation?. These questions reveal a lot about the true purpose of the book. They are what the watchtower want you to remember from the information. Interestingly, the questions do not relate to any particular paragraph. They also each have one scripture reference (presumably which offers the answer to the question raised).

In chapter two we are asked the question ?What conduct is essential if we are to maintain a close relationship with Jehovah??

A christian might answer ?love of God and neighbour? to that question, but note that the watchtower give this scripture as a reference:

2 Corinthians 6:14 to 7:1
    14Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? 15What harmony is there between Christ and Belial[2] ? What does a believer have in common with an unbeliever? 16What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols? For we are the temple of the living God. As God has said: "I will live with them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they will be my people."[3]
    17"Therefore come out from them
    and be separate, says the Lord.
    Touch no unclean thing,
    and I will receive you."[4]
    18"I will be a Father to you,
    and you will be my sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty."[
    1Since we have these promises, dear friends, let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God.

This scripture isn't about good conduct, it is really about not being part of the "unbelievers". Again this is a reference to "there are bad Christians and we'll show you how to be a good Christian"

This is a review of just the first few chapters. I will review the rest of the book where time allows. The book does continue to exert more influence upon the reader until they feel that simple faith in God and love for others isn?t enough and they must be part of the Watchtower organisation. Towards the end of the book it is suggested that preaching the "good news" is also what Jehovah requires, aswell as attending meetings to "worship Jehovah". Hence the Watchtower introduces the idea that if you don't follow the Watchtower you are not following Jehovah.

Jehovah = Watchtower.

• ellderwho
    ellderwho

Thanks for the review,

I recall reading this book a couple of years ago and getting the same impressions. Please continue.

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Sirona,Thanks for that review, very good, thanks for taking the time to do it.Looking forward to the rest of it.

Blueblades

• Poztate
    Poztate

Thanks for taking the time to do this review. It certainly gives us an insight into how the WT manages to control and manipulate persons through subtle comments to equate Jehovah with the Org and how we need to mindlessly obey them to gain approval with god.

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3

About the format of the book:

There are four sections of the book that deal with "Jehovah's qualities" (love, power, justice, wisdom). JWs must have a patent on the qualities because I don't hear other Christians touting this specifically.

Each section is divided by chapters. The first 3 or 4 chapters deal with Jehovah specifically.

Then a chapter is devoted to Jesus' application of that particular quality.

Then a chapter is devoted to personal application.

Most JWs still don't know what to do with the "meditation" scriptures - most scratch over the surface topics, lost without a formal question.

Here is an example of the stellar reasoning found in the book:

*** cl chap. 18 p. 186 Wisdom in "the Word of God" ***

In contrast, when we make a careful study of the Bible with a sincere heart, we come to see Jehovah in the context in which the Bible as a whole presents him. Hence, we are not disturbed if a particular account raises some questions to which we cannot find immediate answers. To illustrate: When piecing together a large puzzle, perhaps we cannot at first find a particular piece or we cannot see how a certain piece fits in. Yet, we may have assembled enough of the pieces to grasp what the complete picture must look like. Similarly, when we study the Bible, little by little we learn about the kind of God Jehovah is, and a definite picture emerges. Even if we cannot at first understand a certain account or see how it fits in with God?s personality, our study of the Bible has already taught us more than enough about Jehovah to enable us to see that he is unfailingly a loving, fair, and just God.

Perfect circle, how tidy. Translation: "If you don't understand the WTS explaination of the Bible, don't worry. Since you already believe we have the truth, you don't need to understand anymore!"

Here's another gem:

*** cl chap. 18 p. 181 Wisdom in "the Word of God" ***

What, though, if that Law had never been put in writing? Would Moses have been able to remember the precise wording of that detailed code and to convey it flawlessly to the rest of the nation? What about later generations? Would they have had to rely solely on word of mouth? That would hardly have been a reliable method of handing down God?s laws. Imagine what would happen if you were to transmit a story to a long line of people by telling it to the first person and then having it relayed from one to another down the line. What the person at the end of the line heard would likely differ considerably from the original. The words of God?s Law were in no such danger.

Hmmm... How about these stories told by word of mouth until Moses supposedly wrote them down:

1) The creation account 2) Adam and Eve 3) Rebellious angels and the Nephilim 4) Noah and the flood 5) Job's trial by Satan

Did Jehovah "protect" these oral accounts or are they Jewish fairy tales??

• Sirona
    Sirona

Thanks Ezekiel,

Great quotes there! Definately shows what they're *really* doing.

Sirona

• minimus
    minimus

Sirona, that was excellent! Blondie might start getting nervous!

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Ez,

Thanks for posting some of the book.

Don't you just love the way the Society like to tell people how to think.

Similarly, when we study the Bible, little by little we learn about the kind of God Jehovah is, and a definite picture emerges. Even if we cannot at first understand a certain account or see how it fits in with God?s personality, our study of the Bible has already taught us more than enough about Jehovah to enable us to see that he is unfailingly a loving, fair, and just God.

They make it look like we should naturally feel God is always fair and loving even when in the Bible,, God is shown destroying people that don't satisfy his offended ego. God, according to Isaiah, views all the people on the earth are just a drop from a bucket or dust on the scales. The Bible God has even ordered the Isrealites to murder men women and children and not to feel sorry for them. And soon this God will wipe out the whole world of mankind and only spare his Witnesses because they are truley in fear of him and so do exactly as he has commanded them through the faithful and discrete slave.

So then we should naturally just overlook these thing about Jehovah and only think nice thoughts about him or else we might piss him off. That's how the bible scares us to beleive.

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3

The next time I hear about a JW child abuse scandal, I'll think:

Since I don't understand why Jehovah methodically murdered throughout the OT, and I don't understand why the WTS would protect child abusers, that must mean that I will have to wait on Jehovah because He is a loving God.

Not funny? You bet, but that's how JWs think.

• shotgun
    shotgun

Nice Job Sirona...that's Job not Job...you know what I mean damn it.

I picked the book up a couple times but could not force myself to read it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit