Official WTBTS JW Chat Room

by Corvin 13 Replies latest jw friends

• dmouse
    dmouse
    Did they also 'ban' CB radio when it was a fad?

They don't ban things as such, just demonise 'em so any self-respecting JW would 'choose' not to use them.

Awake 1977, 3/8 5-9

**************************************************************************************************************************************

Also, in view of the sound Biblical principle that "bad associations spoil useful habits," can one say that because many of those who use CB equipment are not lawbreakers, foulmouthed and immoral, one is justified in spending a lot of time on the air with them for other than purposeful information? Would you pick up a telephone, dial any number at random, and associate with whoever answered??1 Cor. 15:33.

It is worth while to consider the practical outlook of the Bible on this matter: "Someone will say, ?I am allowed to do anything.? Yes; but not everything is good for you. I could say that I am allowed to do anything, but I am not going to let anything make me its slave." Hence, one would not want to become enslaved to one?s CB equipment any more than to a television set or to any pursuit that can squander valuable time.?1 Cor. 6:12, Today?s English Version (1976).

If a person has a CB radio for his personal or secular business?fine. But why not use it as a tool, not a toy? "If the individual CB user would be a little more polite, a little less talkative, not trying to hog the airways," says the FCC?s head of CB operations, "it would make our problem less severe. You know, there?s a lot of people who don?t want to talk indiscriminately; ?they have installed their units for a very specific purpose." Certainly this is the view that a Christian would take.

******************************************************************************************************************************************

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Well... they may have twisted their way outta/through that one... but...

CQ... CQ... CQ... DX....

Ham radio operators always use this to prefix their calling - at random - for ANYONE to respond - as far away as they can get. They don't 'screen' them with

CQ... CQ... CQ... JW... DX....

I have known several JWs who were Ham Radio operators. Of course... this was ages ago - prior to the modern cell phones, etc.

Regards,

Jim TX

• Happy Guy :)
    Happy Guy :)

I mean how many places will let 19 year olds opperate billions of dollars of machinery with the capability of killings 1000s of people every day and only pay um a few 100 bucks a month.

XQ, just because the WT has billions in cash does not mean they used it for the JW cult in purchasing billions on machinery for Brooklyn publishing. In fact, just the machinery itself used to publish the magazines in N.Y. (and I now understand that publishing will be shifting to Canada), is worth millions and to be more specific probably well under 40 million.

By the same token we are not talking about a nuclear bomb here. In the event of a mishap, it might kill a couple of people. Even if there was a fire there would be alarms and evacuations and automatic sprinklers etc.

Where do you get this "billions of dollars of machinery" stuff and "capability of killing 1000s of people". You may not realize this but we are not talking about a U.S. aircraft carrier.

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

HG GD it I was talking about a US aircraft carrier! I have to learn how to write, or others need to take time reqadings. Probally the former, and not the latter.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit