What if "IT" was all just a dream?

by titch 11 Replies latest social humour

• titch
    titch

I'm not really sure as to what category that I should put this into, so I'll just try, and put it here.  This is based upon a posting that I saw and read on Facebook recently.  And, the question is:  What if life---as you know it---was just one big dream?  And, when you die, you wake up. 

Hmmmm.  Interesting concept. So, how would you feel if you woke up---after dying---and discovered that your entire life---your entire existence---had been just one huge dream? 

Myself, I would say that it's been one hell of a dream.  And, I must have been "tripping out" on some hallucinating mushrooms before going to sleep and "dreaming" all of THIS as happening. 

How about you?  What would you say?   Best regards, everyone!

• Captain Schmideo2
    Captain Schmideo2

That sounds like the plot for the movie "Inception".

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Since when do dreams last a lifetime? And a coherent one? Also, at what age do you wake up?

That aside I wish it were true because I would have learned more than enough to change my life to the better.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

All things around "me" could be electric stimuli applied to my brain to distract or entertain me. Or I could be a computer program. Yadda Yadda Yadda. 

It matters not. This life is all I know so I must live it as if it is the only life I have and as if "you" are all real.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

I believe this can be entirely possible but in many other fashions.  

For one, when you dream at night, you don't know you are dreaming.  Unless you become lucid, you can be in a crazy world that defies rationality and logic and you think it's completely normal.  

For those who believe in the eternal soul, if beings of spirit or energy, life like this could be almost like a game, you don't remember like in a dream, live is to experience the universe, when you die you wake up in a sense and remember just like when waking up from a dream, then pick another life, etc. 

Or a very advanced virtual reality.  

I agree with OTWO though. 

• Ucantnome
  • Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers
    Your present consciousness is your only shot at this life.  Don't waste time believing that there is something more. be here, now.
  • titch
    titch

OK, thanks for the replies so far.  And, Ucantnome, that is an interesting article.  And, good advice Separation, to "be here now."    Best Regards to everyone...

Titch  

• Twitch
    Twitch

Yes, what is it, to be?

Who or rather, what are you?

The most fundamental question one has to answer, really.

Who would want the random and irrational existence that is a dream?

Were I a butterfly who dreamt I was a man, methinks it better to be a butterfly

Regardless, you won't find the answer of an afterlife until you're dead

So as has been said, carpe diem

• Brokeback Watchtower

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit