Paster Russells defends self against accusations of his wife 7/15/06 WT

by frankiespeakin 19 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• RR
    RR

No Frankie, the problem lies with trying to defend what I believe with someone who doesn't believe. Why should I go into Pastor Russell and the Divine Plan, if you don't even believe in the Bible, it's fruitless. We would have to go to the basics, to the word of God, proving it is. Now if you've decided to throw the baby out with the bathwater because of your bad experience with the Society, that's not my problem.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

RR,

No Frankie, the problem lies with trying to defend what I believe with someone who doesn't believe. Why should I go into Pastor Russell and the Divine Plan, if you don't even believe in the Bible, it's fruitless.

Yes it would be fruitless for "you",, but not for me,, or the readers of this thread who have an open mind. If we can clearly establish Russells impure motivations,, the whole foundation for the WT's claim to be God's channel crumbles,, if we show him to be delusional we help others to be more critical and thus avoid the path you have choosen,, namely following a delusional man which is what most Mind control cult do.

We would have to go to the basics, to the word of God, proving it is. Now if you've decided to throw the baby out with the bathwater because of your bad experience with the Society, that's not my problem.
    Yes it is not your problem but feel free to post on this thread,, for while you may get nowhere in your defense of Russell you are at least offering a defense that is easily demolished and that serves a good purpose to free other from this cult.
  • frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I would like to invite anyone to take some clips from the above articles and post what you think it reveals about C T Russell's personality.

• RR
    RR
    Yes it would be fruitless for "you",, but not for me,, or the readers of this thread who have an open mind.

I'm not going to debate with a bunch heathens, who have no life.o you keep on posting!

RR

• ESTEE
    ESTEE
    I conclude that I am adapted to no one, and that no one is adapted to me--except the Lord! I am so thankful that He and I understand each other and have confidence in each other.

Excuse me, sir! The Lord has adapted to Mr. Russell ...???

What a pompous pri*K!!!

'scuse my french ...

ESTEE

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Estee,

Yes,pompus to the extreme. Russell claims God never spoke to him personally, and that he was never inspired,, and yet he makes statements that indicate God is speaking to him or else how would he know:

I conclude that I am adapted to no one, and that no one is adapted to me--except the Lord! I am so thankful that He and I understand each other and have confidence in each other.
    Russell continually makes statements about his relationship with God and Jesus that have no basis in reality and reflect a delusions of exaltation from God.
  • frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

One thing I find unusual is the way Russell in his writting refers to himself many times not in the "first person":

When the next day the husband took the witness stand and swore that he had never used the language (and never had heard of it before) all reasonable people concluded that only an idiotic person would make such an uncomplimentary remark about himself. They concluded, too, that even an ordinary woman, seeking a charge against her husband for thirteen years, could imagine wonders and create the living and real in her own mind. This is the most charitable view possible of such an oath.

All through his defense as he is referring to the court proceedings he does this. I think this may be because it give the appearence of unbiased court reporting.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I find this statement of CTR incorrect:

Those possessing back numbers of the WATCH TOWER upon examination will find that Mrs. Russell's name as Associate Editor first disappeared from the 2nd page of the TOWER in the issue of Nov. 1st, 1896. Fearing that this might be understood as some indignity to my wife I referred to the matter in the Dec. 15th issue, page 301, the "Tract Society's Annual Report," in these words: "The withdrawal of our 'associate editor' has been noted by some, so we explain now to all that this was granted at her own urgent request. She prefers to appear as a correspondent over her own signature, MRS. M. F. RUSSEL

1892:

TOWER PUBLISHING COMPANY, "BIBLE HOUSE" ARCH STREET, ALLEGHENY, PA., U.S.A.

C. T. RUSSELL, EDITOR.

1893:

C. T. RUSSELL, EDITOR; MRS. C. T. RUSSELL, ASSOCIATE.

1894:

C. T. RUSSELL, EDITOR; MRS. C. T. RUSSELL, ASSOCIATE.

1895: no mention of editor or associate

::page 253::

VOL. XVII. NOVEMBER 1, 1896. No. 21.

----------

CONTENTS.

----------

Special Items.....................................254
    View from the Tower...............................255
    Poem: Cowper's View of
    Restitution Glory...........................257
    The Authority of Divine Truth.....................257
    "He Giveth Quietness".............................259
    Questions of General Interest.....................260
    God's Blessing Upon Solomon.......................261
    Rewards of Obedience..............................262
    Encouraging Letters...............................264

::page 254::

SUBSCRIPTIONS AND BUSINESS COMMUNICATIONS
    --ADDRESS TO-- TOWER PUBLISHING CO., BIBLE HOUSE, 58 & 60 ARCH ST.,

ALLEGHENY (NORTH PITTSBURG), PA., U.S.A.

SUBSCRIPTION PRICE, $1.00 A YEAR, IN ADVANCE, INCLUDES A SUBSCRIPTION TO "THE OLD THEOLOGY TRACTS"--QUARTERLY. MONEY MAY BE SENT BY EXPRESS, N.Y. DRAFT, MONEY ORDER, OR REGISTERED. FROM FOREIGN COUNTRIES BY FOREIGN MONEY ORDERS, ONLY. SPECIAL TERMS TO THE LORD'S POOR, AS FOLLOWS:

Those of the interested, who by reason of old age or accident, or other adversity are unable to pay for the TOWER will be supplied FREE, if they will send a Postal Card each December, stating their case and requesting the paper.

----------

WHAT SAY THE SCRIPTURES ABOUT HELL?

THIS pamphlet of 80 pages, a special issue of the OLD THEOLOGY QUARTERLY, examines every text of Scripture in which the word "hell" is found, and related passages. Extra copies furnished to subscribers at ten cents each, or seventy-five cents per dozen, or six dollars per hundred,--postpaid.

----------

TABERNACLE SHADOWS.

Many of the truths of the Gospel were "preached beforehand" in the types and shadows of the Jewish economy. In the service of the tabernacle in the wilderness were embodied the principles of the entire plan of salvation, based upon the sacrifice of Christ, as represented in the bullock whose blood, sprinkled upon the mercy seat, made atonement.

The significance of each article in the tabernacle, as well as of the sacrifices made therein, is set forth in TABERNACLE SHADOWS OF BETTER SACRIFICES, a pamphlet of 104 pages, leatherette bound illustrated. Price 10 cents, postpaid; 75 cents per dozen.

----------

POEMS AND HYMNS OF DAWN.

This volume contains a very choice selection of 150 Poems and 333 Hymns, purged, we trust, from much of the too common, erroneous, hymn-book theology: 494 pages, good print, cloth binding only. It is the Gospel of the Kingdom in verse, by the pens of many of God's dear saints of all centuries. It is a companion to MILLENNIAL DAWN, and sells at the same price as the cloth-bound volumes. It is designed to lead the mind aright in meditation and worship.

----------

ALLEGHENY CHURCH MEETINGS.

Our meetings are held in Bible House Chapel, Arch st., Allegheny Pa. Friends will be warmly welcomed. Preaching every Sunday at 3 P.M.

====================

::R2077 : page 301::

WATCH TOWER BIBLE AND TRACT SOCIETY.

----------

REPORT FOR FISCAL YEAR ENDING DEC. 1, 1896.

----------

ALTHOUGH the above has been the recognized name of our Society for some four years, it was not until this year that the Board of Directors took the proper steps to have the name legally changed from ZION'S WATCH TOWER TRACT SOCIETY to that above. The new name seems to be in every way preferable.

Although disinclined to make frequent reference to the work centering in the TOWER office, lest it might be misunderstood to be boasting, we are nevertheless glad to avail ourselves of the opportunities offered us in connection with this our annual report, to lay before our interested and sympathizing Brethren and Sisters, for their encouragement, a brief summary of the work itself, as well as of the moneys expended in the propaganda. If the following statement even seem to a few to savor of boasting and show, nevertheless, it is our duty to those who have contributed the means which have permitted the work: and they represent in the aggregate a large proportion of our paying subscribers;-- and the letters from those who receive the WATCH TOWER free as "the Lord's poor" indicate that many of them are equally deeply interested in the work, in its every feature. Many of these, although hindered by poverty from sharing in this work financially, have efficiently cooperated in the work as tract-distributers, etc.

The work divides itself into the following departments.

(1) The WATCH TOWER Editorial Department, to which three proof-readers lend efficient aid. Each reader must judge for himself respecting the Lord's blessing upon this department. We trust that the study of the TOWER by its readers gives them even half the blessing enjoyed in its preparation. The withdrawal of our "Associate Editor" has been noted by some, so we explain now to all that this was granted at her own urgent request. She prefers to appear as a correspondent over her own signature, MRS. M. F. RUSSELL.

The growth of the TOWER list is one of the best evidences of the progress of Present Truth for which it stands as a defender and servant. Our friends will be glad to know that notwithstanding the money pressure of the past year the TOWER lists show an increase of the interest--although of course some "fall away" as we are forewarned to expect.

(2) The Correspondence Department,--with which is associated the keeping of accounts, attention to your orders for DAWNS, O.T. TRACTS, WATCH TOWERS, Bibles, etc. This department handled during the past year about twenty thousand of your letters and sent out thirteen thousand two hundred and ninety-one replies. This is a very important feature of the work, very helpful to many in perplexity, and, blessed by modern progress, enables us to be in touch with such as the Lord may please to direct to us from all parts of the world.

1896:no mention of editor or associate

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

8/1/1895 Zion WT:

SISTER RUSSELL'S LETTER. Sister Russell is generally busy in the TOWER office; but just now she is making a little tour among the Lord's people in New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts, etc. Sister Russell's meetings are usually "parlor talks." Her present mission is to see and cheer the Lord's flock and to bring us word of their spiritual welfare. She writes:--
    Springfield, Mass., July 25, '95.

MY DEAR HUSBAND:--I arrived a few hours ago from Troy, on the 1.12 train and am safely and pleasantly sheltered with Sister Clark who gives me a cordial greeting, and I am resting a little and trying to feel ready in mind and body for the evening meeting.

We had a good time in Troy, also in Saugerties and Yonkers, as well as in New York City and Brooklyn. Indeed, I have most cheering news from all with whom I have met thus far, and they all have messages of love and encouragement for you. The spirit of God is wonderfully manifest among his people.

I have not had a chance to write you since I left New York, my stay in each place being so short that what little time I had with the friends was wholly occupied; and it has been midnight and after, almost every night before we retired. I am somewhat weary to-day, but tomorrow will not be so hurried.

It was a great pleasure to receive your letter on my arrival here, and to know that you are so thoughtful of me and that I have your prayers constantly. I feel that I am constantly dependent upon divine grace, for I have no strength of my own. In so many ways I have realized the Lord's special helpfulness supplying my deficiency out of his abundant fulness that many times I am even surprised at it. I am trying to fulfill my mission as thoroughly as possible, but I must leave particulars until I return. I expect to hear from you next at Boston.

Kindly remember me to all the family and inquiring friends. I think of you always, dear, and am anxiously anticipating the return home. Your loving wife, MARIA F. RUSSELL.

----------
  • minimus
    minimus

I liked what Farkel said regarding the other succeeding presidents. Interestingly, RR ignored that one too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit