questions about interfaith and interrace dating according to JWs

by greenmarie 12 Replies latest jw experiences

• greenmarie
    greenmarie

Hi!

I was wondering what Jehovah's Witnesses have to say about interfaith dating or inter-race dating or if either of those are even issues at all. Your input/comments would be so appreciated! Thanks! :)

-gm

• Maverick
    Maverick

Why would anyone do that? Maverick

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/65943/1.ashx interracial dating

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/65926/1.ashx interfaith dating

WELCOME TO THE BOARD we had this topic a few days ago -- and if you look here it will lead you to other links where it has been discussed

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

Welcome to the board, greenmarie.

Here is a thread with lots of information for new posters.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/9/58215/863175/post.ashx#863175

Perhaps if you explained your situation a bit more, we may be able to give you more information.

I had this information saved:

From the October 1 1974 Watchtower:

Is there any real objection to one of Jehovah's witnesses "dating" a non-Witness who respects the Christian's beliefs?-U.S.A.

The Bible does not comment about "dating," as this is a modern practice, but it does contain guiding principles.

Devoted Christians do not consider "dating" simply as recreation. Instead, they look upon it as an aspect of courtship, a serious step toward marriage. As to marriage, the Scriptures encourage selecting a mate who is "in the Lord," a believer, and not just a person who 'respects one's beliefs.' (1 Cor. 7:39) Hence, one who dated an unbeliever with a view to finding a marriage partner would be acting contrary to the Bible's admonition.

Then, too, while some unbelievers may respect one's beliefs, they themselves are not following the counsel of God's Word. This being the case, they may be inclined to take certain liberties with one of the opposite sex. Not being immune to the desires of the flesh, a Christian might yield to temptation when with an unbeliever. "Do not be misled," cautions the Bible. "Bad associations spoil useful habits."-1 Cor. 15:33.

Even if immoral conduct is avoided, an unbeliever is not a good associate. A person who is not a devoted worshiper of Jehovah God could not be a source of real encouragement to one who is. An unbeliever, while appearing to be a 'good person' and respecting the believer's faith, still does not appreciate spiritual things. Lacking a spiritual outlook, he or she would not strengthen the believer in a determination to be faithful to God. On the contrary, since the unbeliever may be thinking of marriage, he would be encouraging the Christian to disregard God's counsel about 'marrying only in the Lord.'

It is therefore wise for a dedicated Christian to look for possible marriage mates only among those who are believers and who possess spirituality.-Compare Deuteronomy 7:3, 4; Nehemiah 13:26, 27; Malachi 2:10-12.

also from the Watchtower:

*** w82 3/15 p. 31 Questions from Readers ***

Finally, in the Christian Greek Scriptures God repeated the counsel: Do not marry someone who is not serving the Lord. The inspired counsel was not, ?If you find a clean, decent person, it is permissible to court and marry that individual with the hope that he or she may eventually become a Christian.? Rather, God?s Word clearly says: "Do not become unevenly yoked with unbelievers." (2 Corinthians 6:14) To marry someone who is not already a baptized Christian would be to disregard that serious counsel.

Because Jehovah?s Witnesses as a people view this counsel as wise and serious, they do not want to contribute to anyone?s going contrary to it. For example, if because of weakness a spiritual brother or sister began to court or date a person who is not a witness of Jehovah, the others in the congregation would hardly want to encourage that by socializing with the unbeliever. They agree with the Bible that the non-Christian is not a good associate. (1 Corinthians 15:33) But they should continue to display interest in their brother or sister. They might be able to offer tactful and encouraging admonition to help the straying Christian to avoid the sad path that Solomon followed.?Compare 2 Thessalonians 3:14, 15.

But what if a Witness planned to disregard God?s advice and to marry someone who was not a baptized Witness? Unless there was some exceptional reason, brothers in the congregation would not want to solemnize such an unequal yoking. Nor would the Kingdom Hall be available for the wedding. It is available for marriages of two baptized Christians who are marrying "only in the Lord." Or it might sometimes be used by two persons who are regularly serving God as part of the congregation and who will soon be baptized. By not allowing the Kingdom Hall to be used by a Witness who plans to ?become unevenly yoked with an unbeliever,? the congregation elders can underscore the seriousness of God?s counsel to marry "only in the Lord."

Please check your inbox for a personal message.

• Maverick
    Maverick

Please don't be discouraged! We are glad to have you here and welcome any topics you wish to offer!

Welcome!!!!!!! Maverick

• somebodylovesme
    somebodylovesme

Welcome to the board! :)

• Carmel
    Carmel

Nowhere does the FDS or the writing department have a mandate from Jehovah or Jesus to act as interpreter of scripture. Their twisting of scripture in an attempt to constrain whom you chose to date, marry or cohabitate, is "taking partners with God". They are condemned by their own presumptious behavior.

carm

• dustyb
    dustyb

okie dokie, lets go into a little detail (i'm in this boat). my g/f is JW, as is the rest of her family. her mom says if we get married i'll be a lazy SOB who won't support her daughter and will treat her like utter shit, our children will become little bastards and she will fall out of favor of God etc etc. pretty much if she marries me, in the eyes of her mom and the congregation, my g/f would have throwed away all her life to live happy and we'll be a miserable couple the rest of our lives until armageddon comes along and destroys us.

thats all because i'm not baptized and because i read anything i want. if the couple really love each other it'll be hard to get through it, but none-the-less they'll get through it. i'm almost there, as people say, "i see the light at the other end of the tunnel" have fun, good luck and if you need any advice, just PM me.

• houdini
    houdini

From what i've deduced from my teaching is that it's frowned upon.

They seemed to quote certain passages from the bible about marrying only in the lord and also about serving two masters, can't quite remember where that was eaxactly

But I seem to remember this being quoted to me about my relationship with this Jewish girl I was seeing.

"Do not become unevenly yoked with unbelievers. For what fellowship do righteousness and lawlessness have?" 2 Cor 6:14

"Whoever . . . wants to be a friend of the world is constituting himself an enemy of God" Jas 4:4

et al

From the reasoning from the scriptures book

"Would it demonstrate loyalty to God and to his righteous standards if his servants were to embrace in religious brotherhood those who themselves practice what God condemns or who condone such practices?"

Houdini

• jgnat
    jgnat

Found today (thanks aslief) http://www.unc.edu/~elliott/icon.html

Society's advice toward those who would consider interracial marriage. The Society counseled that: "A Christian, being realistic, must face life as it is--not as he wishes it might be."[9] An earlier column on the same issue instructed readers that:

Christians cannot change prevailing human customs, prejudices and laws but must put up with them. They should therefore take a very realistic view of matters [emphasis added] and recognize the added difficulties such a marriage will have to face.[10]

The Society concludes the issue by conceding that while such marriages are not formally wrong, they are usually unwise given the nature of popular prejudice and hence better avoided.

9.The Watchtower, 12/1/73, p. 735.

10.The Watchtower, 7/15/60, p. 447

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit