Why does God allow people to develop 'forbidden' special powers?

by SM62 197 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sirona
    Sirona

Here

http://www.religioustolerance.org/wic_bibl.htm

Check out the links at the bottom of the page regarding certain scriptures. It relates to what the bible says about Witchcraft, but touches on other "occult" things such as divination and consulting the dead.

As everyone around here knows, I'm a believer and I claim to have experienced a lot of unexplained phenomena. Those of you who are skeptics will likely never be convinced until it happens to you. I've had experiences where many people experience the same thing at the same time, we all saw the same thing and talked about it afterwards. I've known things in advance that I couldn't have known....the list goes on. All I can say is that I understand your skepticism but I know that these things exist.

Sirona

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Nathan:

You've won by force of sheer logic!

And you've lost by sheer lack of statistical data.
    Get with the show, dude...

• SM62
    SM62

Sirona,

Thanks for the link - it shows how scriptures can be twisted to mean just about what anyone wants them to mean.

From what I have read about Wicca so far, it is all about respect for life and the main rule seems to be to do no harm to anyone or anything. I can't understand why Christianity is so opposed to this when all Wicca is advocating is good. Why people can't just believe what they want to, and let others do the same, is beyond me. However, I can see how people can be fooled into believing the Bible says this, that and the other, when it says nothing of the kind. I find it so difficult to study because some of it is impossible to understand. But I am determined to persevere, because it is difficult to discuss the Bible when I don't really know what it teaches. I wasn't a very good Bible student and relied too heavily on the WT literature to do the work for me. I thought the WTS was an honest, clean, loving organisation with no hidden motives - how stupid I was.

Terri

• alias
    alias

SM62,

I'm with you on this one... I've wondered the very same thing.

alias

stilltryingtoseeaurasclass

• SM62
    SM62

Alias,

I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't see auras. I have never had any weird or supernatural experience either - I live in hope! I'm still curious as to why a loving God would enable people to have specal powers, only to punish them for using them - seems pretty strange to me.

Terri

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Little Toe:

And you've lost by sheer lack of statistical data.

Quite the contrary. The fact that I do not know anyone, anywhere may deprive me of community consensus, but reality is not determined by a democratic election in which everyone gets to vote on what is real and what is not real. Reality is, and it falls to us to learn to recognize and adapt to it.

I invite you to "get real."

It is likely that the biggest reason for the willingness of misinformed people to accept the unsubstantiated claims of metaphysicians is the fear of mortality - for some, it is near-impossible for them to conceive or accept the idea that one day soon they will completely cease to exist. They tell themselves pleasant bedtime stories to ease their sleep, stories about sky-daddies and angels and monsters and magic, stories that deny cause-and-effect. Falling in love with the stories they've imagined, they prefer their sweet, soft somnambulism and refuse to wake up.

I once spoke with a member of Eckankar (Ek, founded by Paul Twitchell) who was eager to tell me about how she could leave her body at will and experience "soul travel." I told her that in my home I had a cylinder six inches across, two feet tall, and open at the top. An object was at the bottom of the cylinder. I invited her to "soul travel" to my place and inspect the cylinder with her non-corporeal eye and report back to me. She stopped making her silly claims.

I was a JW for more than 20 years, raised as a Dub, and surrounded with the Dub brand of metaphysicians. During the nearly 30 years that I have been out of the WTS, I have investigated and done a number of things that can be found in the metaphysical funhouse, and none of them had any substance. (Pun intended.)

• Sirona
    Sirona

Nathan

I'm interested in what you mean by this

stories that deny cause-and-effect.

I'm not sure if I have a subconscious fear of death. Even if there were nothing after the physical death, I would not consciously fear it (what is there to fear if you don't even exist?).

Sirona

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Hi Sirona,

You asked,

I'm interested in what you mean by this

stories that deny cause-and-effect.

If I put a pot of water on the stove and turn on the heat beneath it, it boils. It always boils. It never freezes solid.

A metaphysician will tell you that the world is full of invisible demons who can alter reality and who could make the pot of water freeze rather than boil.

That, in brief, is the sort of thing I mean by cause and effect.

The ever-popular JW story of the exploding chicken is an example of one such story.

• dh
    dh
    Why does God allow people to develop 'forbidden' special powers?

same reason he allows war, rape, murder, natural disasters and all manner of other bad harmful shit...

like clark gable, he doesn't give a damn!

you know if he can allow all that bad stuff and still chill out, why would he have issues with people bending spoons?

• Sirona
    Sirona

Nathan

A metaphysician will tell you that the world is full of invisible demons who can alter reality and who could make the pot of water freeze rather than boil.

OK so you are lumping all metaphysicians together there and suggesting that they will tell me this. Be that as it may, I personally would never assert that "the world is full of invisible demons" or that natural laws are changed by them.

Belief in life after death (for instance) does not mean that one cannot also accept the existence and permanence of the natural and testable.

Therefore your comments about cause and effect do not hold any water (lol excuse the pun). Cause and effect is in fact something which lends support to certain beliefs - every action produces a reaction of some kind and sometimes those reactions are unusual. Given all the variables involved it would be impossible to duplicate such a thing and here is where the scientific minds say that such things "don't exist" - because they're so stuck on trying to duplicate something in their not-the-real-world-lab conditions.

Sirona

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit