Why does God allow people to develop 'forbidden' special powers?

by SM62 197 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Nathan:Well, if your intention was to hijack the thread, you've succeeded. Congratulations.

I suspect you will never work me out, if indeed you have a will for it.
    Personally I'm really concerned for you, because your posting style really has deteriorated, on this thread. I'll ask again, as I asked earlier, are you ok? Feel free to PM.

In all honesty, it's my opinion that you've acted like a first class pr*ck, on this thread. Notwithstanding that, I had no real intention of insulting you, and so I offer you my apologies, unreservedly.

Take care...

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

LittleToe:

In all honesty, it's my opinion that you've acted like a first class pr*ck, on this thread.

You, on the other hand, have conducted yourself as a genuine gentleman at all times, offering a multitude of logical arguments crafted to the best of your ability in support of metaphysics without ever lowering yourself to the level of ad hominem attacks or name-calling.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Nathan:Sadly you appear to have no concept of what a gentleman is, given your response to the hand of friendship, etc. (PLEASE prove me wrong by your conduct - I beg of you). My apology still stands, even though you thusfar prove unworthy of it. That (I am afraid to say) is your loss, not mine, since it was genuinely extended and did not require reciprocation to be either offered or accepted.

I'll reiterate my original question, from page two, which you have still not deigned to answer and which seems to have been the cause of you "going off on one":

Why is it that rationalists and scientists have less trouble saying, "I don't know" than metaphysicians do?

How many of each category of person do you know?
    All the metaphysicians that I've ever met have been happy to accede that they are ignorant of certain things, yet like the scientist, it drives them onward.

You tout the word "metaphysicist" like a schoolchild who has just discovered the word. May I further ask how long it has been part of your vocabulary? Enquiring minds want to know...

Now I can understand why people would be upset by "parasitic metaphysicists" (your phrase) who do nothing but scam people, but is that genuinely the desire of everyone who delves into such things?
    Further, what about the expressions of experiences that have been offered during the course of this thread? Has it been to hoax people, or merely to share?

I've seen nothing that I would deem parasitic on this thread, other than what appears to be an insatiable desire to feed off of negative energies (an esoteric, metaphysical term, that probably turns your stomach, but is appropriate in usage to those who are inducted in such knowledge (be it true or otherwise, in an absolute or subjective sense)).

I'm now off to bed, to hopefully enjoy some lucid dreaming and astral travel, before reaching for the land of Nod. See ya around...

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas
    > Nathan:
    > Sadly you appear to have no concept of what a gentleman is, given your
    > response to the hand of friendship, etc.

I haven't claimed to be a gentleman; I described you as one, but... wait, you're right, I DON'T know what a gentleman is, do I?

"Hand of friendship"? I must have missed that - was it when you were calling me "nasty and beligerant" or when you described me as "juvenile," or when you called me "a pr*ck"?

We have a saying over here - "with friends like that, I don't need enemas."

> (PLEASE prove me wrong by your conduct - I beg of you).

Sorry, I wouldn't know how...

> My apology still stands, even though you thusfar prove unworthy of it.
    > That (I am afraid to say) is your loss, not mine, since it was genuinely
    > extended and did not require reciprocation to be either offered or accepted.
    ...and there is where my weeping and the gnashing of my teeth will be. It's like being cut off from god himself; really!

> I'll reiterate my original question, from page two, which you have still not
    > deigned to answer and which seems to have been the cause of you "going off on
    > one": Why is it that rationalists and scientists have less trouble saying,
    > "I don't know" than metaphysicians do?
    Because rationalists and scientists do not afford themselves the luxury of pulling a wild and baselss explanation for phenomena out of thin air. Metaphysicians are not constrained by the laws of logic or objective reality.

> How many of each category of person do you know?
    Let's assume the answer to that is NONE. So what? Does it matter that I have known bunches of Dubs, that I have known Buddhists, Jews, Muslims, followers of Eckankar, Scientologists, practitioners of Huna, Sufis and born-againt Xtians?

> All the metaphysicians that I've ever met have been happy to accede that they
    > are ignorant of certain things, yet like the scientist, it drives them onward.
    My position is that metaphysicians claim to know things that are unknowable because they rest on an assumption that is not true, the assupmtion that there is "another world" behind everyday ordinary reality.

> You tout the word "metaphysicist" like a schoolchild who has just discovered
    > the word. May I further ask how long it has been part of your vocabulary?
    > Enquiring minds want to know...

I was flipping through Daddy's dictionary the other day when I found it. It's a cool word. How is it pronounced?

> Now I can understand why people would be upset by "parasitic metaphysicists"
    > (your phrase) who do nothing but scam people, but is that genuinely the desire
    > of everyone who delves into such things?

I didn't say it was. I specifically said, "When these guys derive their living from playing to the weaknessess of others, I describe them as parasitic metaphysicians."

Jim Jones, Jim & Tammy Fae Baker, Joseph Rutherford, Fred Franz, Herbert Armstrong, Jimmy Swaggart, Benny Hinn, televangelist in general. John Edward, James von Pragh, Sylvia Brown, the Pope, the Dali Lama, Pat Robertson, Da Free John, Krishnamurti, Anne Besant; it's a long list.

> Further, what about the expressions of experiences that have been offered
    > during the course of this thread? Has it been to hoax people, or merely to share?
    I have not said to anyone, "that did NOT happen." I have said that something happened. I do have serious doubts that any of them can honestly say what caused the experience they had, and I am certain that none of the experiences "proves" anything aboout the world "behind nature."

To me it seems more honest to say, "...the damnest thing happened to me, and I don't know why it happened or how" than it is to say, "I fell off a ladder and struck my head, and remembered that I was really T. Lobsang Rampa, ancient mystic and metaphysician."

> I've seen nothing that I would deem parasitic on this thread, other than what
    > appears to be an insatiable desire to feed off of negative energies (an esoteric,
    > metaphysical term, that probably turns your stomach, but is appropriate in usage
    > to those who are inducted in such knowledge (be it true or otherwise, in an
    > absolute or subjective sense)).
    I do have a lot of negative energy. I'm positive of that.

> I'm now off to bed, to hopefully enjoy some lucid dreaming and astral travel,
    > before reaching for the land of Nod. See ya around...

I'm sure you'll let me know if you've awakened to another nightmare...

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Did someone say Myers-Briggs? I seem to test as an INFJ most of the time...sometimes an INTJ.

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

INTJ here. But I also see the test more as a way of stimulating conversation so as to learn about a person directly from them, than as a way to classify a person so as to learn about them from the book. Conversation fodder, I call it.

SNG

• VM44
    VM44

What is a metaphysician? and metaphysics?

--VM44

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

With regards to the "Myers-Briggs" stuff, I started a thread on the subject
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/65713/1.ashx
    I hope you dont mind, but I've reposted the results of respondees, over there.

Nathan:

My position is that metaphysicians claim to know things that are unknowable because they rest on an assumption that is not true, the assupmtion that there is "another world" behind everyday ordinary reality.

To quote Rem, it's unfalsifiable, not "untrue". When you have evidence that it's "untrue" you'll have the option of successfully branding it such.
    Hence, if you were to condense your comment as "My position is that metaphysicians claim to know things that are unknowable because they rest on an assumption that there is "another world" behind everyday ordinary reality, and I believe this to be untrue.", then I'd agree with your statement, if not your opinion. To take a more stringent perspective is, IMHO, bigotted (but that is my opinion, and you are perfectly entitled to disagree).

You certainly have a bee in your bonnet about this whole subject. Have you been scammed outwith the JW's, too? I certainly wonder why you aren't content with letting people believe as they wish, as long as they aren't hurting themselves or others. Believe it or not, many treat religion as a hobby or sociable pastime.

Sidestepping your hissy fit, for a moment, the ironic thing here (IMHO) is that in general I agree with most of what you've posted on the subject.

Btw, I had sweet dreams. Thanks for your concern. I hope and trust that yours were likewise pleasant.

VM44:

What is a metaphysician? and metaphysics?

Nathan sums it up fairly well, if you can cut through his antagonistic remarks. However if you'd like it clarified he has access to his daddy's dictionary, now, and would no doubt be pleased to rattle off a definition. Would you mind helping him pronounce it?

Alternatively "Oxford" defines it as "a branch of philosophy dealing with the nature of existence and knowledge."Hence I would offer that Descartes was a metaphysicist of the highest order, given his statement "Cognito, ergo sum" ("I think, therefore I am").

I wonder if it is acceptable to argue that philosophy is a branch of science???

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Without reading all ten pages (I know, it's a mistake) I'll give you my answer. Free will.

• VM44
    VM44

Hi LittleToe,

Metaphysics is indeed a subfield of philosophy, but I gather there is another common usage meaning for the word, a meaning that associates Metaphysics with esoteric, occultic or supernatural knowledge.

So Descarte was a philosophical metaphysician, and so was Aristole.

Edgar Cayce was a metaphyscian of the occultic variety.

The Watchtower always says in their writings for people avoid metaphysics without defining the word.

Obviously they are referring to the occultic meaning of metatphysics, althought they are also not keen on people studying philospophy.

I am going to try to to through all of this very long thread, and post something more on the weekend.

--VM44

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit