CLAM (Feb 8-14) - Are You "Reaching Out"? (15mins)

by Nicholaus Kopernicus 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Nicholaus Kopernicus
    Nicholaus Kopernicus

The brief outline for this item makes reference to the most recent WT on the subject of "reaching out" (Sept 15 2014 - pages 3-6) If you are a Jehovah's Witness and thinking about becoming a Ministerial Servant or Elder, then please consider the following information prior to attending the KH for this weeks CLAM.

First - if you hope to become an elder, in the UK you will also become a charitable trustee. You will not be given any training for this part of your role. Your details will be sent to the Charity Commission. As an elder and charitable trustee, you might at some time be unable to agree with the BoE on a matter. Nevertheless, the WTBTS expects you to acquiesce with the majority. Yet you will be legally held responsible for your individual decision as a trustee.

Second - if you hope to become an elder, you will likely be given copious assignments and become very busy. You are expected to be yielding and accept these assignments - even if it means that you have to sacrifice time with your family (time which you cannot recover). You will also be expected to attend elders' schools. One such recent school included a video of elders visiting a sister who was suicidal. Whilst elders are acknowledged to be health professionals, yet what I saw on that video was not realistic, not competent, and likely to be psychologically damaging to an individual in genuine distress. It was significant, that those who compiled this video with the intention of instructing elders, did not at any time consult any health professionals as to helpful approaches.

Third - you will be given a copy of the elders' secret book (Shepherd the Flock of God) and will be expected to keep this secret from your wife and family members. You might find the contents of this book to be surprisingly generous with rules and scarce in spirituality.

Fourth - the WT article on which this weeks Living as Christians segment is based, makes reference to the word "privilege" at least 7 times. This word is used a lot in "the truth" but for an alternative etymological consideration of the word and its use (some would say overuse) then consider visiting this site which explores the question - "Are We Privileged"?.... http://perimeno.ca/Are_We_Privileged.htm

This same WT article states: "satisfying the Scriptural requirements falls primarily on the individual who is reaching out." This rather suggests that once you have reasonably met the scriptural requirements, you will be appointed. However, the article does not give any mention of existing elders' subjectivity in looking at non-scriptural qualifications such as your ministry hours. Elders may have other qualifications which they expect you to meet without any scriptural justification / reference.

Fifth - you don't really have to reach out to me a ministerial servant or an elder to lead a full Christian life pleasing to almighty God. For example, the aforementioned WT states - "If you serve Jehovah faithfully wherever you are and whatever you do, you are a success.” That's a nice encouraging thought. In the previous study WT which dealt with the subject of reaching out, a similar positive thought was expressed - "Of course, a brother does not have to be a ministerial servant or an elder in order to help others and have a full share in the ministry." (WT 2011 - "Train Others to Reach Out".

For many elders already in post they are quite busy chaps as has been already mentioned. Indeed many become stressed such is the combined workload of their secular occupation, family commitments, and WT expectations. It is not uncommon for males who become elders to experience a significant amount of stress in consequence. This can affect relationships. It can lead to elders projecting their stresses onto others unconsciously. Some even project their stresses from the lectern during speaking assignments. Yet this is not necessary and is entirely preventable. The Awake of June 2010 featured three articles about stress. In one such article the following sage advice was given....

"God expects us humbly to acknowledge that we have physical, mental, and emotional limits and that we cannot do everything we would like to do. As difficult as this can be, we may need to learn when and how to say no to demands that exceed what we realistically can handle." (AW - June 2010. "Keeping Stress Under Control" page 9).

Sixth - you may be shocked at the divergence between BoE's as portrayed in WT literature and the reality. BoE seldom use scripture at their elder's meetings as depicted. Their tends to be a lot of politicing with eventual deference being shown to the elder with the strongest personality. This was my experience anyway, and many ex-elders have written blogs indicative of a similar reality in their experience. However, if you still want to be appointed as an elder, consider getting third party liability insurance to protect yourself, your family, and your estate.

Finally - a scripture.
    "... you must love Jehovah your God with your whole heart and with your whole soul and with your whole mind and with your whole strength." Mark 12:3 (NWT) This is entirely dependent on you. Nobody can give this to you. Certainly, no governing body member, circuit overseer, elder or anyone else, can take it away from you. These are words spoken by God's son in response to being asked which commandment is "first of all?" This commandment can be first of all in anybody's life without being a ministerial servant of elder.

• Darkknight757
    Darkknight757

Your thoughts are appreciated. There are many brothers who desire to become an Elder in the congregation but don't realise what is truly involved. Many regret it only after they see how it truly is.

The Elder meetings are a complete joke. Start with a vague theme scripture then you might as well throw your bible out the window for the rest of the meeting. After hours of arguing a subject using the handbook, you come to a halfhearted decision. Afterward you tell newer Elders how incredible the Holy Spirit was during the meeting.

• Lostandfound
    Lostandfound

Excellent

Firts point, as a Trustee of congregation assets you will be expect d to follow the party line in decisions. If you are in any way awake to the responsibility you may wish to discharge your legal obligations, expect no help on this, look at the Charity Commission website and lookup any charity, even WTBTSb , you will see a very copious note re trustees and their ongoing training, you will not get any. The recent charade over congregation funds being donated as a surplus to the society is questionable legally, yet you will be expected to promote this theft. Elders/Trustees who discharge their responsibility come under a black cloud for lack of loyalty. Trustee status has no loyalty attached. You are obligated to act in the good of the congregation, nothing else, circuit, assembly hall or WT. Discharging that will not be possible with big brother making your decisions for you, decisions which you are financially and legally responsible for.

• burnedout
    burnedout

A few weeks before my public nervous breakdown at the KH, I was interviewed onstage as an example for other young brothers to be a happy Elder like me...

I said the words because I was expected to, but inside I knew I did not wish anyone to experience the torture of that position.

On the outside I was a 'Happy, Joyful Elder', while on the inside I was planning suicide as my only escape...

The 'yoke is light', my ass it is.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Not only is there the pressure of everyday life, workplace, bills piling-up, home life.

But then the stress of being an elder. I must be just off the chart, stress.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    NicCop You might find the contents of this book to be surprisingly generous with rules and scarce in spirituality

This is all they need to know should they really think about it

NicCop If you still want to be appointed as an elder, consider getting third party liability insurance to protect yourself, your family, and your estate

Is this reference to the recent case in the UK where a victim of child sexual abuse has sued the elders at his KH for failing to protect him? The first of many I imagine and I'm quite sure the wtbts intended to throw the elders under the proverbial bus.

Excellent post.

• steve2
    steve2

burnedout I felt for you in the sentiments you expressed above.

You mention your "public nervous breakdown at the KH".

Have you written about this elsewhere? Is sounds like you were at the end of your tether and really struggling. Hope you are recovering from this.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Second - if you hope to become an elder, you will likely be given copious assignments and become very busy. You are expected to be yielding and accept these assignments - even if it means that you have to sacrifice time with your family

.................It`s Fun Once You Get Used To It!..

..............Image result for Businessman cleaning toilet....http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab110/GeneralWaco/10_1_138.gif

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown
    Elderbots needed - those with a conscience and a brain need not apply.
  • Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

**Have you written about this elsewhere? Is sounds like you were at the end of your tether and really struggling. Hope you are recovering from this. **

No kidding. I hope are doing well. God Bless burnedout!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit