Eight questions about Nathan Knorr

by Skimmer 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Skimmer
    Skimmer

I have some questions about Nathan Knorr, the third president (1942-1977) of the WTBTS. Accurate answers are welcome.

1) How did it come about that Knorr was made president of the WTBTS in 1942 after the death of Joseph Rutherford? Rutherford as we know was an usurper inheritor of Russell's WTBTS in late 1916 after Russell went to his reward. Since Rutherford knew he was dying in 1942, did he try to extend his influence beyond the grave and so hand pick Knorr in a hope to retain the policies at the time?

2) Is it accurate to say that Knorr was nearly single handedly responsible for the prohibition on blood transfusions?

3) Is it accurate to say that Knorr was nearly single handedly responsible for the establishment of the modern shunning doctrine?

4) There was a report that Brooklyn Bethel residency was off limits to married people -- until the day that Knorr got married. Is this true?

5) There was also a report that Knorr was a closeted homosexual, and that his marriage was a sham and a cover-up. Is this accurate?

6) Where is Knorr buried? I doubt if he has a pyramid grave site marker like Russell, but it still might be interesting to get a photo on the web. For that matter, where are Rutherford and Fred Franz planted?

7) If Knorr was responsible for most of the post 1942 quack medicine and disfellowshipping teachings, do you think he has more blame for total human suffering than all the other WTBTS leaders put together?

8) Why do you think that Knorr established the general policy on anonymity for WTBTS writings?

• Farkel
    Farkel

I'll shoot from the hip:

: 1) How did it come about that Knorr was made president of the WTBTS in 1942 after the death of Joseph Rutherford? Rutherford as we know was an usurper inheritor of Russell's WTBTS in late 1916 after Russell went to his reward. Since Rutherford knew he was dying in 1942, did he try to extend his influence beyond the grave and so hand pick Knorr in a hope to retain the policies at the time?

Rutherford hand-picked Knorr to be his successor. He wouldn't hand-pick anyone who he didn't trust.

: 2) Is it accurate to say that Knorr was nearly single handedly responsible for the prohibition on blood transfusions?

I would guess that it was Fred Franz who was the one more responsible. Knorr wasn't a doctrine guy. He was an organizer.

: 3) Is it accurate to say that Knorr was nearly single handedly responsible for the establishment of the modern shunning doctrine?

Once again, I would guess that mantle went to Franz.

: 4) There was a report that Brooklyn Bethel residency was off limits to married people -- until the day that Knorr got married. Is this true?

Yes. Absolutely. Soon after he married Audrey, the rules were relaxed.

: 5) There was also a report that Knorr was a closeted homosexual, and that his marriage was a sham and a cover-up. Is this accurate?

I've heard that Audrey complained they never consummated their marriage, or at the very least she was sexually frustrated. Knorr was obsessed with sex, though. There were rumors about he being a homosexual but there is no evidence for it.

: 6) Where is Knorr buried? I doubt if he has a pyramid grave site marker like Russell, but it still might be interesting to get a photo on the web. For that matter, where are Rutherford and Fred Franz planted?

Knorr and Franz are buried on the WT "Launching Pad." I think that is at one of the society's farms. From what I know, Fred Franz has told several people that Rutherford was secretely buried late at night at Beth Sarim. I believe even Randy Watters heard that story while he was at Bethel.

: 7) If Knorr was responsible for most of the post 1942 quack medicine and disfellowshipping teachings, do you think he has more blame for total human suffering than all the other WTBTS leaders put together?

He wasn't responsible for that stuff. Fred Franz made almost all of the JW doctrinal decisions and Knorr rarely overruled him. Ray Franz has stated this. The evils that Franz did and the evils that Rutherford did are like comparing apples to oranges. I believe that overall Rutherford caused the most damage, because the iron-grip the society has on the lives of its followers still exists today, whereas most of Franz's wacky teaching has been quietly discarded. There's a lot more I could elaborate about on this, but I don't have much time for this response.

: 8) Why do you think that Knorr established the general policy on anonymity for WTBTS writings?

Probably because JFR has his name attached to EVERYTHiNG he wrote, and Knorr had to distance the society from him just like Rutherford tried to distance the society from Russell. Corporate politics and good business.

Farkel

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Some very good questions, Skimmer. I'd like to no 6 and ask further, Where, for that matter, are all the Bethelites buried, particularly the GB?

• Skimmer
    Skimmer

Personally, I think that Knorr takes the number one spot on the WTBTS Evil Chart because it was during his tenure that the most damaging doctrines originated or the worst in the existing doctrines were made more prominent. In all but the last year of his three and a half decades running the show in Brooklyn, he had just about complete control over the output of the printing presses. In was under his administration the Fred Franz was able to propagate his screwy type/anti-type baloney and his chronological speculations. It was under his administration that the unfortunate JWs in Malawi were persecuted while the JWs in Mexico enjoyed their organizationally approved "non-religious cultural association" and their party/military membership cards. It was under his administration that the modern judicial/shunning policies came about. It was his administration that prohibited blood transfusions (since modified) and organ transplants (later overturned). It was his administration that continued the goofy policy of no vaccinations started under Rutherford (later overturned). All of this happened on Knorr's watch, and that makes him responsible.

I think the anonymity policy was done for only one reason. Since Knorr was not prolific as a writer, he didn't want anyone else to gain prominence and possibly control.

Fred Franz gets the number two spot on the Evil Chart with Rutherford close behind. I can see why some might switch these two positions. Freddie wins because of his long years of influence. Rutherford gets points by being the most vile, backstabbing, and hypocritical WTBTS president.

I place Russell as a distant fourth. Other may disagree, and in doing so present the valid claim that he was the WTBTS founder and so can be held in part for all subsequent actions of the WTBTS. Yet I'm sure that if Russell could have foreseen how Rutherford perverted Russell's ideas, then Russell would never have allowed Rutherford a chance of a takeover.

• AlanF
    AlanF

In general I agree with Farkel's answers, but I'll add some corrections and expansions.

: 1) How did it come about that Knorr was made president of the WTBTS in 1942 after the death of Joseph Rutherford? Rutherford as we know was an usurper inheritor of Russell's WTBTS in late 1916 after Russell went to his reward. Since Rutherford knew he was dying in 1942, did he try to extend his influence beyond the grave and so hand pick Knorr in a hope to retain the policies at the time?

Actually Rutherford, shortly before his death, called Nathan Knorr, Fred Franz and Hayden Covington to Beth Sarim in San Diego to issue his dying wishes. He instructed them to carry on the work he had begun, thus passing the mantle of power, as it were, to them. Covington became the Society's president, but very shortly thereafter Knorr convinced him that, because he was not "anointed" and Knorr and Franz were, Covington should resign and let Knorr become president. Thus it appears that Rutherford appointed Covington to be the president, despite the latter's "earthly hope". If that were not the case, Knorr would have immediately assumed the presidency. In the late 1950s Knorr and Covington had a major falling out and the latter was basically booted out of Bethel.

: 2) Is it accurate to say that Knorr was nearly single handedly responsible for the prohibition on blood transfusions?

No. Fred Franz loaded the gun and Knorr shot it off. Knorr basically didn't give a rat's ass about doctrine, unless doctrine had something to do with managing his printing plant. The blood doctrine appears to have been Freddie's baby from the beginning, as is apparent from the writing style of the seminal WTS articles on the blood transfusion ban.

: 3) Is it accurate to say that Knorr was nearly single handedly responsible for the establishment of the modern shunning doctrine?

Again, no. Both Knorr and Franz played big parts in it.

: 4) There was a report that Brooklyn Bethel residency was off limits to married people -- until the day that Knorr got married. Is this true?

Yes. It appears that Knorr, for reasons that many have speculated on, decided to get married. Until then it was a very basic Bethel rule that if you wanted to get married, you had to leave. As soon as he married Audrey Mock, he had to allow others to get married, but the restrictions were heavily biased so that only long-time Bethel staffers could make it.

: 5) There was also a report that Knorr was a closeted homosexual, and that his marriage was a sham and a cover-up. Is this accurate?

Many have felt that Knorr displayed rather effeminate qualities, and it is certainly true that some of his closest Bethel associates -- but not all -- were quite effeminate. Whether that indicates latent homosexuality is anyone's guess. Knorr was definitely obsessed with sex, which is likely what drove the Society today to be obsessed with sex. They have more rules on how to deal with fornication and adultery than on any other subject. Knorr's obsession came out in the many WTS articles dealing with masturbation. He was famous for delivering a lecture from time to time to new Bethel boys about how to avoid touching "it" when they "went to the bathroom". I've been told by Bethel insiders that Knorr never consummated his marriage, considering sex to be beneath his station. Supposedly it took Audrey a long time to get used to the idea of a celibate marriage, but apparently she did and became one of Knorr's fiercest defenders.

: 6) Where is Knorr buried? I doubt if he has a pyramid grave site marker like Russell, but it still might be interesting to get a photo on the web. For that matter, where are Rutherford and Fred Franz planted?

I think Farkel is right on Knorr and Franz. According to one source, the man who bought Beth Sarim from the Watchtower Society in the late 1940s told him that Watchtower officials told him when he bought the place that Rutherford is buried underneath the relatively new garage floor. When someone inquired of the owner if he knew where Rutherford was buried (there had been a rancorous fight between WTS officials and San Diego officials about burying Rutherford on the property), he said, "You're standing on him." He was standing on the concrete garage floor at the time. This wouldn't surprise me at all, given the Society's penchant for ignoring "Caesar" whenever they think they can get away with it.

: 7) If Knorr was responsible for most of the post 1942 quack medicine and disfellowshipping teachings, do you think he has more blame for total human suffering than all the other WTBTS leaders put together?

That depends on what you mean by "responsible" and "blame". As the despotic leader of the WTS, Knorr was ultimately responsible for whatever it did. However, he deferred to Fred Franz in doctrinal areas. And of course, plenty of toady underlings went along with anything and everything those two idiots did, so in a real sense, all WTS officials are responsible for those odious teachings.

: 8) Why do you think that Knorr established the general policy on anonymity for WTBTS writings?

Probably several reasons. Farkel touched on a good one. Another is that Knorr was a rather poor writer, and he knew it. He couldn't hope to live up to Rutherford's standards, and so instead of having various staff writers get the glory, he may well have figured that no one would. This is particularly reasonable since it's virtually certain that Fred Franz largely ghost-wrote Rutherford's books from the 1920s onward. It would hardly do for Franz to get a lot of credit by having his name on various Knorr-era books, and then for people to compare the quality of writing of the two men. Knorr was jealous of his power and his prestige -- he had a giant ego. Franz naturally gave in to this since Rutherford had not appointed him, but Covington to lead the pack, which leadership then went to Knorr. If anything, Freddie was a stickler for "the theocracy".

AlanF

• larc
    larc

Regarding Rutherford's burial: like Farkel, I have heard that he was secretly buried at Beth Sarim after a refusal of the city of San Diego, when they requested a special burial cite on the property. I have also read in Harrison's book "Trumpets of Glory", that he was buried in the Woodrow Cemetary on Statan Island, New York. This cemetary is near WBBR, the radio station the Witnesses used to own, and a house and farm where Rutherford spent three day weekends to write his imfamous books. I did a search and found the Woodrow United Methodist Church that owns the cemetary and found an e mail address which I used to ask if they had any records on this famous false prophet. I will let you know their reply.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day all,

Re this report from AlanF

I've been told by Bethel insiders that Knorr never consummated his marriage, considering sex to be beneath his station. Supposedly it took Audrey a long time to get used to the idea of a celibate marriage
    This apparently is hearsay, but if it were true, do you realise that not one of the Watchtower presidents has had a normal sex life (or any sex life!)

Now where was that 'Family Life' book again?

Cheers,
    Ozzie

Freedom is not having to wear a tie.

• joelbear
    joelbear

Knorr and Franz are buried somewhere near Watchtower Farms. I remember someone pointing it out to me while I was a bethelite there.

Audrey Knorr worked with me in the subscription department at the Farm. She was a very humble and nice person. I do know she remarried not long after Knorr died and the guy she married was a real handsome older guy.

I heard so many horror stories of the way Bethel life was under Knorr. I got there a year after he died. It was surreal listening to the litany of rules he had.

yhugs

Joel

• blondie
    blondie

Interesting quote if the comment about NH Knorr is correct:

10/1/56 Watchtower p. 586 Marriage Obligations and Divorce
    This is not saying that married couples should not give each other the sexual due. This is not saying that, before getting married, they should make an agreement and enter a common vow before God to live a celibate life even after marriage, having no sexual relations but merely enjoying each other’s companionship. No one should think that this is raising marriage to a spiritual level and keeping it on an exalted, unfleshly plane, and so belittling the marriage of others who have sexual relations. If a married couple does not want to pay marriage dues, then the man and woman should not marry at all and not subject the mate to deprivation of what is natural and craved naturally. By celibacy they are not putting their marriage on a level higher and holier than that of others. They cannot change God’s honorable sexual arrangement. Celibate marriages have therefore never fared well.

The others are not degrading their married life by intercourse, but are following an honorable, rightful course. There is no proper marriage for so-called “Platonic friendship” just because the end of the world is so near. If an engaged couple think natural connections are carnal, then why wed at all? Why have one of the opposite sex so close to one all the time, in the most intimate privacy? If it is not good or spiritually upbuilding to touch a woman, why live so intimate with her even in celibate marriage? Be natural, be normal, do not be falsely idealistic. Do not be like some Irish Catholic girls who are in the news, who get married but refuse to give their husband his due because they want to imitate Jesus’ mother Mary and remain “ever virgin.”

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

Once again, thank you AlanF and Farkel!!!

Plenty of material out there on Rutherford and Russell but I've hardly heard anything about Knorr and Franz. I would love to know what has transpired during the last 20+ years since the committee arrangement. AlanF has commented on Ted Jarez in another thread and I'm dying to know anyother information he knows!! Post away!!

Joelbear, post some of the hearsay and stories. I'm dying here!!

Slipnslidemaster: Doin' the humpty hump...just doin' the humpty hump...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit