If a year is really 365 1/4 days why 360 days to calculate 1914

by blondie 52 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

Doesn't that throw off the date?

*** w51 6/15 p. 383 Questions From Readers ***

In establishing the length of the seven times of the Gentiles, a time or year of 360 days is used, to give 2,520 days, which become 2,520 years when Ezekiel 4:6 is applied. Yet when we figure from 607 B.C. down to A.D. 1914, the 2,520 years are solar years of 365 1/4 days each, and not lunar years of 360 days each. Is this proper?—N. N., New Zealand.

The Bible records ignore the solar year of 365 1/4 days as far as measuring natural time and prophetic time. The moon was used for fixing the months, and then the spring growing season for determining the beginning of the year in relation to the moon, making necessary 7 times every 19 years the addition of an intercalary month or Ve-Adar month, a thirteenth month. So since the length of the Jewish year was not stabilized to 365 days plus a leap year of 366 days, prophecy fixed a system of measurement of its time periods at 360 days for a year or time, calculating 30 full days to a month instead of the actual 29 1/2 days to a lunation. Genesis 7:11, 24; 8:3, 4 shows Noah calculated 30 days roughly to a month. Further confirmation of this unit as a prophetic norm of time is given us at Revelation 11:2, 3, where 42 months are run parallel with 1,260 days, making a year of 12 months equal 360 days. Note also that when Revelation 12:6, 14 parallels 3 1/2 years or times with 1,260 days it takes each time or symbolic year as equal to 360 days, and not 365 1/4 days by saying that the 3 1/2 times equal 1,278 and a fraction days. In 3 1/2 years or times there would be at least one and possibly two intercalary months, as explained by The Watchtower, March 15, 1948, pages 91, 92; yet Revelation ignored such intercalary months in giving the days of the 3 1/2 times. So we figure according to God’s Biblical way and are on firm foundation in saying that the symbolic seven times equal 2,520 years. And these 2,520 years should be counted as solar years, because the Jewish lunar years of 360 days, over long periods of time, kept pace with the solar years by means of the intercalary months added at set intervals, thereby always maintaining the necessary harmony between the year’s beginning and the seasons.

That this method of calculating is correctly used to bring us to A.D. 1914 from 607 B.C. is confirmed for us by the physical facts that have become manifest from that year 1914 on, in fulfillment of Matthew 24 and 25, Mark 13, Luke 21, and other prophecies concerning Christ’s second presence, in the time of the end.

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

Yet the Bible is scientifically correct.

Never mind our God didn't know he should have included a proper calendar with the laws he gave Moses.

God will just adapt his infallible timetable to our confusing and wrong way of keeping track of moon, sun and seasons.

Or...it's just all human explanations that could just as easily have been justified the other way around.

• blondie
    blondie

Or did the WTS have their own explanation to get around it?

That this method of calculating is correctly used to bring us to A.D. 1914 from 607 B.C. is confirmed for us by the physical facts that have become manifest from that year 1914 on, in fulfillment of Matthew 24 and 25, Mark 13, Luke 21, and other prophecies concerning Christ’s second presence, in the time of the end.

But the WTS said

What Watchtower said
    prior to 1914
    What Watchtower claims it said
    prior to 1914
    "The year A.D. 1878 … clearly marks the time for the actual assuming of power as King of kings, by our present, spiritual, invisible Lord - …" The Time is At Hand (1911 ed) p.239 "The Watchtower has consistently presented evidence to honesthearted students of Bible prophecy that Jesus’ presence in heavenly Kingdom power began in 1914." Watchtower 1993 Jan 15 p.5
    "But bear in mind that the end of 1914 is not the date for the beginning, but for the end of the time of trouble. Zion's Watch Tower 1894 Jul 15 p.226

"Jehovah's witnesses pointed to the year 1914, decades in advance, as marking the start of "the conclusion of the system of things." Awake! 1973 Jan 22 p.8

• blondie
    blondie

*** w59 4/1 p. 216 par. 40 Part 11—“Your Will Be Done on Earth” ***

The Bible measures by lunar time when speaking of months and years. In Nebuchadnezzar’s case a “time” stood for a lunar year, the average of which was reckoned as 360 days. Actually, a twelve-month lunar year was eleven days shorter than the average solar year. This required the lunar calendar to add a thirteenth month of twenty-nine days to certain years, in order to bring the calendar in agreement with the solar calendar. Addition of a thirteenth month was done seven times in every nineteen years. When speaking of longer periods of time, God said that a day should stand for a whole year. On this basis, then, a lunar year of 360 days would stand for 360 years, “a day for a year, a day for a year.” (Num. 14:34; Ezek. 4:6, AV) Therefore a symbolic “time” would amount to 360 years. “Seven times,” symbolically speaking, would amount to 2,520 literal years. The “seven times” or seven years of Nebuchadnezzar’s madness thus predicted a period of 2,520 years. Since the Holy Bible shows that these “seven times” or 2,520 years began in the early fall of the year 607 B.C., then the “appointed times of the nations” would end in the early fall of the year 1914 (A.D.).

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee
    The '360' was inherited from William Miller and the Adventists, and probably before that.
  • blondie
    blondie

(Matthew 24:43, 44) 43 “But know one thing, that if the householder had known in what watch the thief was coming, he would have kept awake and not allowed his house to be broken into. 44 On this account YOU too prove yourselves ready, because at an hour that YOU do not think to be it, the Son of man is coming.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

A question I asked of the whole Body of Elders in my congregation some time in the '80's was :

"Why, if a "Prophetic Year" was 360 days long, were the years fulfilling the prophecy not, likewise, 360 days long ?" (In slightly different words, but essentially your Thread title question)

In other words, why switch the length of the year back to a Solar year for the 2520 years ? as I pointed out, if 2520 years of 360 days length were used, they would end up almost 38 years short of 1914.

Of course all I got was bluster and told not to "think too deeply" etc etc.

Why did I not wake up then ? I would not have wasted nearly another 30 years in that ridiculous cult.

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo
    Biblical Year to work out prophecy...Lunar Year to do the maths...perfect sense to me....NOT.
  • eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

A question I asked of the whole Body of Elders in my congregation some time in the '80's was :

"Why, if a "Prophetic Year" was 360 days long, were the years fulfilling the prophecy not, likewise, 360 days long ?" (In slightly different words, but essentially your Thread title question)

Hey Phizzy,

I had exactly the same question back in the late 60's. I got the same bluster from a brother that I asked.Trying to explain this non-sense to any thinking person is absolutely impossible. I've dubbed it "math-magic" and I now also wonder how I swallowed their bs for so many years.

just saying!

eyeuse2badub

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once
    There are "Human" years, "Dog" years, "Solar" years and Watchtower "Lunar-Solar" years. They are "overlapping" calendars. Pile it high baby!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit