Gift ideas???

by SixofNine 8 Replies latest jw friends

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I'm probably going to a grad party for a JW kid. Dad is an elder, mom a pioneer. I'd like to think of some gift that would actually help the guy, and still not clue in his parents that I work for Satan.

Ps. His dad is a postman, so he doesn't need a gun.

I'm thinking along the lines of the works of Josephus, with the scant info on Jesus highlighted. (anyone know how to actually find that in the works of Josephus?)

Outnfree mentioned college related materials. Sounds good.

Any more ideas, specifics?

• COMF
    COMF

A self-help book, perhaps... something about taking responsibility for your own life?

COMF

• mommy
    mommy
    Ps. His dad is a postman, so he doesn't need a gun.

Geez what happened to Mace?

All of my graduation memories as a dub were giving the new grad a bible or an Aid to bible understanding book.

I have graduated from that There is a GREAT book I have given as a gift many times. It is called "Don't sweat the small stuff, and it is all small stuff"

I love this book, yes it is not from WTBTS...BUT it is great and is filled with many things that even a dub can learn from. I gave it to my active Jw sis and she loved it, even if a wordly wrote it.

Either way have a blast..it is a party, you know!
    wendy

• Scorpion
    Scorpion

When I had left the WT in 1989 a good friend of mine gave me a book called People of the Lie. I believe the author was M. Scott Peck, not sure though. It was a real eye opener. The book deals with real life situations and reveals different ways we can believe in and excuse evil within ourselves and others. It does not mention religion at all. But by reading the book, one cannot help to think about how we as individuals can believe a lie and not realize it.

I am not sure if this book is in print anymore. I gave it to a friend who gave it to a friend etc. I am not sure where it ended up. It would be a great gift. Maybe the parents will read it also.

• Mulan
    Mulan

Cool Scorpion. Same author, different book. I recommend "The Road Less Travelled". It was an eye opener for me. I read it before I read Crisis of Conscience, but it had a similar effect on me.

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

I always like to give a nice Watchtower basket. You know, with all the publications in a nice basket with a bow.

Of course you should follow the recommended donation list so this could be considered an VERY expensive gift. He will REALLY appreciate such a kind, loving and spiritually uplifting gift.

Slipnslidemaster: Doin' the humpty hump...just doin' the humpty hump...

• Lindy
    Lindy

I like cash, kids like cash. My youngest daughter graduated last year and she ended up with $440 dollars and some nice gifts too. But with cash they can do what they want to, or need to, with it. Dear Abby said last year that $10 dollars is appropriate for a HS gradusation gift. I usually give about $25. If it is a niece or nephew I give more, according to my budget at the time. I figure even if you give a cheap gift, by the time you use gas money, your time, buy a card and gift wrapping and a ribbon and bow, you have spent about $25 bucks!

Lindy (Antique), just being practical

• teejay
    teejay

so, Six, what did you decide to give?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I ended up giving a gift certificate to borders, and a book from the bargain bin, "You can live to be 100". It was either that or "idiots guide to pro wrestling".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit