Evolution is a Fact #19 - Goosebumps

by cofty 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

At the base of every hair follicle in your body are tiny muscles known arectores pilorum.

When you are cold, or frightened, or otherwise aroused the muscles contract and make your skin look like a plucked turkey.

This reaction, known as the pilomotor reflex, is caused by a surge of adrenaline. Even thinking about an emotive event that happened in the past - or might happen in the future - can be enough to trigger this response. Go on take a moment to try it.

In our hairy ancestors - and our fluffy or feathered cousins - this reflex has a practical use. It traps air in the fur or plumage when they are cold and makes them look bigger when threatened.

In humans it is one of many examples of a vestigial feature. Our body hair is so puny that it no longer serves any use but there is insufficient selection pressure for it to disappear.

On the other hand it does give you a clue if somebody is cold, scared or sexually aroused. It's usually safer to assume it's one of the first two options.

#1 Protein Functional Redundancy - - - - - - - - - #2 DNA Functional Redundancy
    #3 ERVs #4 Smelly Genes
    #5 Vitamin C #6 Human Chromosome 2
    #7 Human Egg Yolk Gene #8 Jumping Genes
    #9 Less Chewing More Thinking #10 Non-Coding DNA
    #11 Tiktaalik #12 Lenski's E.coli Experiment
    #13 Morris Minor Bonnets #14 Joey Goes to Oz
    #15 Robinson Crusoe #16 Aquatic Mammals
    #17 Belyaev's Silver Foxes #18 Fish Fingers
  • Simon
    Simon

C'mon, we all know it's ghosts !!

BTW: do you have more nice leg photos?

It's for science ...

• cappytan
    cappytan
    I thought you folks across the pond called them goose pimples. 😜
  • Simon
    Simon
    No, those are spots that Geese and Swans get. Not to be confused with Duck Acne.
  • cofty
    cofty
    I won't tell you what I googled to get the second picture
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    Nice kitty!
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I'm a bit skeptical about that one. How long do we have to go back before the ancestor of a human had a selective advantage from raised follicles when roused? It must be quite a way.

Maybe there 's a more recent or current use for the phenomenon, that's not been identified, and that keeps it in the genes.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

By the way Cofty, I go to the meetings of the Glasgow skeptics society and tonight they mentioned that we've got Aron Ra coming in a few weeks. Big anti-creationism activist from Texas. Have you heard of him?

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/reasonadvocates/

• cofty
    cofty

Hi SBF. I doubt if you would have to go back too far to find hairy ancestors. I've seen one or two gorillas at the sports centre who probably overheat when they get goosebumps. Perhaps losing the function of all those thousands of arectores pilorum just isn't that easy.

Remember too that a vestigial feature might have a function that isn't the original one. For example the vertebrae in our sacrum no longer function to wag our tail but they do anchor muscles that have to do with continence - hurray for them.

Aaron Ra should be interesting. he is a big hitter in the online atheist movement. Do you know what his topic is?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Don't know exactly what he's talking about, somebody mentioned creationism, he might just be explaining the situation with creationists in the US and what he does. The title will be announced nearer the time.

Only now when I look him up do I remember watching his YouTube video he did about the mythical Jesus where I agree completely 100% with his take on the subject.

http://youtu.be/6lqC8fvIspY

Other than that I hadn't come across him before.

I always thought the point of goosebumps was to warm you up when you're cold, like shivering. Do other apes get goosebumps I wonder. Because they are hairy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit