Director of XYZ Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses, Inc.

by cognisonance 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cognisonance
    cognisonance
    I googled my childhood best friend that I grew up with in the cult. He's my age and has shunned me for the past 4 years despite my efforts to reach out to him.

Today, I noticed a listing online that states he is a Director of his congregation. What does this mean? I suppose only elders can fill this position (he wasn't an elder when I was a jw).
  • Splash
    Splash

There's no such position.

If he's an elder then he's a trustee.

I think he covets having a meaningful job, and feels the need to sound important.

• tim3l0rd
    tim3l0rd
    Each congregation is usually setup as a corporation as well. Some of the elders will hold titles in the corporation in order to transact business (pay bills, setup bank account, apply for tax-free status, etc.)
  • cognisonance
    cognisonance
    The google results was to a website "BusinessProfiles.com" and the congregation was listed as a corporation with directors, incorporators, treasurer, president, ect.
  • fulano
    fulano

JW's love to give them selves important positions...

Look at this...the Reed family, need-greaters in the Dominican Republic. But No they had a language institute..😀🤒

• fulano
    fulano

I meant these:

Nathan and miryam Reed

http://www.pearldistributors.com/about_us.php

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut
    He's probably using this title on his secular resume because it indicates his role as an Elder is more one of business administration rather than pushing religious doctrine.
  • Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Yes. Congregations' Elders do have titles to which certain ones are assigned. Like the ''treasure'', I believe the guy who pays the bills, looks after financing etc. for the congregation. Or the ''secretary'', if I'm not mistaken he's the guy who looks after all the records, service reports and such.

Titles and positions do look good. Nothing more than that shallow appearance, which speaks volumes in the Borg.

• steve2
    steve2

I'm the Director of my kitchen pantry. Impressed?

For all their cynicism, JWs are rather drawn to titles of authority.

• DogGone
    DogGone

In my jurisdiction every corporation has to appoint directors, it is mandatory and not something for shallow appearance. We routinely pull the corporate records for all new customers to ensure directors are signing our legal paperwork. If not, we have an Officer's Certificate done up wherein a director can appoint another signing authority to bind the corporation.

Nothing to see here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit