"you will find refreshment for your souls"

by stuckinarut2 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

These well known words from the bible are so interesting!

"come to me all who are toiling and loaded down, and I will refresh you"...etc....

Is it refreshing to be witness?

Lets think about that:

How do you dress and groom yourself?

How many "hours" do you do in service?

Are you exerting yourself enough?

Do you answer enough at meetings?

Do you miss meetings?

Do you "pre-study"?

Is the quality of your answers and service "spiritual" enough?

Is your family "spiritual?

Are you too "materialistic?

Do you work too much?

Are you considering higher education or developing critical thinking skills?

Is your entertainment "approved"?

Are your associates / friends (even within the society) "approved / wholesome"?

etc...

Feel free to add to the list.

Refreshing? Or is it more like another section in the bible:

"they bind up heavy loads on their shoulders..." ?

• Magnum
    Magnum

"they bind up heavy loads on their shoulders..."

^^^^^this^^^^^

I never felt refreshed as a JW. I was always mentally and physically exhausted. I felt burdened down. I could not do everything that was asked of me. I was always behind, always playing catch-up, always feeling guilty, never feeling good enough.

The honest truth is that one of the main reasons I wanted the "new system" to come quickly is that I wanted relief from the very religion that taught me about it. I thought the burdensome JW religion with its exhausting, impossible routine might be different at that time.

• Introvert 2
    Introvert 2
    Well said Magnum PI my thoughts exactly ! Someone once told me that the 'truth' was like a blanket that is too short. I think it's purposed to be so by the GBBG.
  • Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower
    "come to me all who are toiling and loaded down, and I will refresh you"

It just a sales pitch to get people to join him. Which was probably never utter by Jesus but used because it made a good for a good way to sell a new religion and get others to join.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon
    How difficult it is to be of the world but no part of the world. John 17;16
  • stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Well said magnum!

• kairos
    kairos

I have this very verse printed out and on my refrigerator.

For two years, now.

• elbib
    elbib
    That verse may not have uttered by Jesus because even those who experienced great miracles and even resurrection from Jesus did not come for preaching after Jesus died.
  • Deleteandrestart
    Deleteandrestart

I woke up about a year ago and to the utter realisation that I'd wasted and had on hold at least 35 years of my life while in the

" truth " ,

i well remember an old Co saying when asked if it was alright to own and run a caravan as a jw , and his reply was that we could all have our caravans in the new system. But it could have been anything really..... Our whole lives were " on hold "

so any form of refreshment could only lye within the organisation and we all know that just means do more ministry, do more bible reading etc etc..... 

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit