Damaging Children With the Christian Gospel

by cofty 21 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cofty
    cofty

The christian gospel begins with the dehumanising assertion that all humans are fallen sinners who deserve nothing but god's judgement and wrath.

Not only does this taint all relationships between christians and unbelievers, it destroys the beautiful innocence of childhood.

In a recent edition of the popular christian radio program "Family Life Today", titled “Introducing Your Child To God,” co-host Bob Lepine discussed teaching “practical theology” to his young daughter, explaining:

When my daughter, Amy, was still less than two years old, I started teaching practical theology to her. I used to put her on my lap — in fact … I think she was still less than a year old. I used to have her on my lap, and she’d be all cute and cuddly, you know? She’d be coo-ing up at me. I’d look down at her and I’d say: “You know what? You’re a wicked sinner. Yes, you are. Yes, you are. You’re a wicked sinner.” I was just trying to make sure she understood, from the beginning, her depraved nature.

Lepine continues:

It sounds cruel, doesn’t it? But the reality is — if she was going to understand who God is, she has to first understand her own desperate condition. I needed to say it for me because — you look at a new little baby, and all you think is how cute they are. We fall into this whole idea of thinking these babies are just adorable, they’re so precious, and they’re just so good. And the reality is: In her flesh dwells no good thing. Well, it does today because she’s a follower of Christ. But in those days, she was a wicked sinner.

President of FamilyLife, Dennis Rainey, and co-host Bob Lepine, went on to laugh about the supposed necessity of teaching innocent children that they are actually “wicked sinners” before introducing their guest, Bruce Ware, a professional theologian and “Christian parenting expert” who teaches Systematic Theology at the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, Kentucky.

After being introduced, Ware laughed with the co-hosts, while agreeing with the fact that toddlers are in reality “wicked sinners” in need of correction, noting:

As you said, Bob — I mean, you look at these sweet little babies — but, boy, inside is, you can tell already, is this sin nature that is ready to be expressed in a variety of ways.

Source...

This is not an extreme version of christianity, nor is it a perversion of the gospel. These men are simply discussing a straightforward and accurate application of the message of the NT.

Teaching the christian gospel to children is mental and emotional abuse.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Those are some sick bastards!

• Dagney
    Dagney

I agree Cofty. Most of us here don't want any part of that thinking.

THEN, there are those who identify with it, and need to have those thoughts about themselves...it is somehow comforting. And it is any religion.

The issue is how to raise kids. Hopefully it is with love and encouragement for freedom of thought. Even then, some who are raised in a secular environment back to a religious life, because they need it.

Today I listened to an NPR interview with rabbi who is the sister of Sarah Silverman, avowed atheist. The children of the rabbi keep kosher but are not religious, much to the mom's disappointment.

That being said, I do not find the christian message loving as shown in the above article, with so many reasons why...

• ctrwtf
    ctrwtf

Here is my well thought out response. Just eeewwww!

Do these people not see themselves as nauseating? But as Dagney pointed out, this is true of all religion.

Whether it's the doctrine of inherited sin or the belief that anyone that does not follow Allah should die, religion is what stands in the way of true human progress.

• cantleave
    cantleave
    Child abuse takes on many forms.
  • 2+2=5
    2+2=5

I'm guilty of this, always falling into the trap of enjoying normal healthy relationships. I have the most awesome 6 month old baby boy at home and his cuteness knows no bounds. So damn cute and adorable.

That depraved little sinner is going to miss out on learning about the Christian Gospel. Stay cute and adorable I say.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

.............................I'm going to hell if I don't accept Jesus!

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

...............................I'm going to die at Armageddon!......NOT!

• Half banana
    Half banana
    Christianity is like the advertising for an antiseptic product... "It kills 99% of all known germs". Only our product will get to destroy the hidden threats............. If you join our religion we can get rid of 99% of all known sins............
  • Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

Cofty, your research and observations are always thought provoking.

I had a conversation in the pub last night where a successful 30 something man admitted to feelings of worthlessness and even suicide. These thoughts were about the unworthiness and certain destruction at the GT by his perceived failure at living up to dub standards.

These messages are indoctrinated early and are deep rooted. Yes they are the general christian gospel but few lay it on so thickly and deeply as your friend and mine, the JW machine.

(BTW my spellchecker always tries to turn Cofty into Softy. I wonder what it knows that I don't)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit