Did the Watchtower Society Construction Crews in Brooklyn Bury Some Bodies?

by Gamaliel 19 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• willyloman
    willyloman

Well, this is fitting. The Watchtower is no stranger to slave labor, so a monument seems appropriate.

• SadElder
    SadElder

Don't know about any dead bodies, but did hear that the new 90 Sands edifice is plagued with mold/mildew problems as a direct result of the Bethel construction crew improperly installing moisture shields in the baths of some 350 rooms. No wonder they want to move out of Brooklyn.

• mizpah
    mizpah

sadelder:

Jehovah's Witnesses and the Watchtower Society rarely admit to the blunders that occur in their building projects. Years ago at a new assembly hall in Massachusetts, the whole air conditioning system had to be replaced as well as the tile work redone in the rest rooms. There were also rumors that there were some serious mistakes made when computers were first being installed at Bethel.

Jehovah's Witnesses boast about their building projects. But the truth is that many costly mistakes have been made. Of course, the labor is usually free. And the money is donated. So the Watchtower organization remains way ahead of any "worldly" business.

• Stan Conroy
    Stan Conroy
    Jehovah's Witnesses and the Watchtower Society rarely admit to the blunders that occur in their building projects.

One of the quick build halls in this area had to have all the drywall re-done because of some mistake that were made during the hasty build. Apparently the roof also had to be redone. Perhaps the leaky roof destroyed the drywall?

Stan

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel
    There were also rumors that there were some serious mistakes made when computers were first being installed at Bethel.

You can say that again. My roommate was one of the first people brought in to work on them. A good friend from back in our circuit was also brought in. From what they could gather, mistakes were costing millions unnecessarily. IBM was laughing at us. We thought we could use one of the first ones installed (a Series 1 mini) to run an APS-5 typesetting machine. That project alone wasted a million. Of course, I've also been in companies since then that have thrown away multiple projects that cost upwards of 10 million each. It's just that you expect that the Holy Spirit would do better than an idiot CIO.

I think the biggest embarrassment was the huge metal-plate printing press, that was so big they claimed there was a gravitational pull that made it too hard to control the pressure between the plates and the rollers and therefore the ink pressure on the page was always off. (I don't know if the problem was really gravity but they say you can measure the gravitational pull between two of those large steel wrecking balls when they are hanging very close to each other on two adjacent cranes)

I used to show that massive new press proudly in my Bethel visitor tours and Gilead Student tours, and was always told to say it would be working in just another month or so. After a few more months, we were asked not to make any comments about it any more. I always wondered if the purchase of this neo-dinosaur press (against the wishes of those who said it was time to move to "offset" printing) contributed to Brother Wheelock's suicide. (He was a factory overseer, and someone I saw almost every day.)

Gamaliel

• berylblue
    berylblue
    Let's make sure we don't say anything that might stand in the way of the work Jehovah wants us to accomplish. We all know how important this work is in our day."

I don't know about the rest of the story, but this statement certainly has the ring of truth to it. Meaning JW idiocy and hypocrisy.

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel

I have found a couple other places where such rumors might have started. Someone recalled that there was some additional construction work around the already completed Squibb Bldgs (30 C.H.) that revealed some things that were unexpected and that they didn't know how to dispose of legally. (May have involved disposal of items that Squibb had stored -- chemicals, vitamins, etc.) There was no legal reason to stop construction work.

The natural progression in the life of rumors could have leaped from "if they found this around Squibb, imagine what they would have found in the brand new digging on a fresh construction site nearby."

Also, I just got an uncannily similar report that happened on a KH construction site elsewhere in Brooklyn around the same time period, which may have fed these rumors. I have a first hand witness to that KH issue, who decided to look into the matter further even though the exact same reasons for keeping quiet were given. There were no human bones in the case of the KH, only a suspicion that they had come across something of historical interest. Can't say more, without risking exposure of privacy, but there turned out to be no legal reason for halting construction in either of the cases I've just mentioned.

I'm still interested, of course, if anyone has more details, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was all built on the "foundations" already mentioned.

Gamaliel

• mann377
    mann377

I know for a fact that while digging a tunnel from the 124 building to the Towers, another tunnel was found. This tunnel had lots of old clothing in it. The tunnel came from the river. Part of 124 was the home of Harriet Beecher Stowe and I suspect that she was involved in the underground railroad. I was there when the tunnel was found.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    they claimed there was a gravitational pull that made it too hard to control the pressure between the plates and the rollers and therefore the ink pressure on the page was always off.

lol... this is total BS. Yes, it is possible to measure the gravitational pull of such a massive object, but the instrument used to take the measurement would have to be extraordinarily sensitive. Using the below formula, one can easily calculate that a 10,000 pound object (the press) would exert about 0.0007 pounds of force on an object that was within one millimeter of it. That is less that the force of a farting cockroach.

• SadElder
    SadElder

Don't know about your math Elsewhere, sounds uh uh uh... it's been too long since my college days, but Ol Max Larson later said that it was the rollers that expanded due to temp changes after running for a time, thus the register changes made the product unacceptable for dub publications. Don't know if this is true or not. Given the mass of the roller it's hard to believe that it would heat up enough to expand.

I do know that that million dollar press never printed the first book that actually made it into circulation. The press was orginally designed to print comic books and low budget type publications. Not intended for high quality operation. I always said they should cut it into little pieces and encase them in plastic, then sell them as momentos of Bethel. Bet they would have gotten that money back in a heartbeat.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit