The New World , Utopian or Dystopian?

by BluesBrother 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    Like many others on here I was raised and spent many years of my life looking forward to , and basing my life around the anticipated "New World" .
    This utopian paradise would "satisfy the desire of every living thing". We would enjoy eternal youth in perfect health,have abundant good food ,comfortable homes ,even welcome our parents and forebears back from the dead - what's not to like?

I found this description of a dystopian world on the net :
    "Characteristics of a Dystopian Society• Propaganda is used to control the citizens of society.• Information, independent thought, and freedom are restricted.• A figurehead or concept is worshipped by the citizens of the society.• Citizens are perceived to be under constant surveillance.• Citizens have a fear of the outside world.• Citizens live in a dehumanized state.• The natural world is banished and distrusted.• Citizens conform to uniform expectations. Individuality and dissent are bad.• The society is an illusion of a perfect utopian world."
    Hmm. "an illusion of a perfect world" ? Maybe it is.I am reminded of Huxley's novel "Brave New World" . In that society they had everything they could want materially (they had also discarded sexual morality but that is by the by). They had everything...except the freedom to say "No"..., to be different.
    Consider a Bible verse - Is 65.20
    “No more will there come to be a suckling a few days old from that place, neither an old man that does not fulfill his days; for one will die as a mere boy, although a hundred years of age; and as for the sinner, although a hundred years of age he will have evil called down upon him.”
    and the WTS application of this verse? :

Wt 2000 4/15 p16
    "In the coming new world, people will be safe, secure, able to enjoy life. If a person chooses to rebel against God, he will not be allowed to continue living. God will remove him. What if the rebellious sinner is a hundred years old? He will die “as a mere boy” compared to having endless life"

Isaiah’s Prophecy—Light for All Mankind II (published 2001)
    p385
    28 What do Jehovah’s words tell us about life in the coming new world? Under God’s Kingdom, every child will have the prospect of a secure future. Never will death claim a God-fearing man in his prime. On the contrary, obedient mankind will be safe, secure, able to enjoy life. What of any who choose to rebel against God? Such ones will lose the privilege of life. Even if the rebellious sinner is “a hundred years of age,” he will die. In such a case, he will be “a mere boy” compared to what he could have become—a man with endless life.

The inflammatory language used to describe an independant thinker (or worse, a speaker) as a "rebellious sinner" gives the lie to the notion of paradise to those who value their free mind. As Orwell put it in the appendix to 1984 " A person growing up.....would no more know that 'equal' had once had the secondary meaning of politically equal or that 'free' had once meant intellectually free"
    It is a simple truth common to all high-control societies..'Do as you are told, keep your nose clean and obey..... and then the State will reward you. Stand up and be different and get wiped out !'
  • pixel
    pixel
    Nice thread.
  • Mum
    Mum

The WT propaganda art depicting "Paradise" bear a strong resemblance to the ones used by the North Korean government to convince the rest of the world that they have paradise now, even though they must know that we know better. As you pointed out repressive regimes are all the same.

Once when I was a JW out in service, a young sister came back to the car and told the rest of us that a householder had commented that the JW outlook was "so Platonic." I didn't know what she meant, but I realize that Plato stated that the "ideal state" would have no poets. People who are self-satisfied are not usually prone to writing poetry, among other pursuits.

Blind, bland obedience ruins lives. A real rebel reads books and learns to think for him/herself!

• elbib
    elbib

Interestingly, God of JWs not only encourages free-thinking but also supports both the good and the wanderers because He made Jesus declare: “Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.” (Mathew 5:44-48)

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Great thread!

Very interesting comments!

• Lieu
    Lieu

WT depictions of paradise look like Austrian resort towns. Quite pretty mind you but not my cup of tea. I prefer the rain forest. 😆

Also, what's with the clothes? When Adam and Eve were in a state of perfection, they were naked. Only sinners notice nakedness and put on clothes.

I don't pay much relevance to the depictions since the only thing the Bible says is people will be happy, animals won't kill, and Christ will reign. Don't even know if there will be cheeseburgers.

• Half banana
    Half banana

You can live forever in paradise...yes it is true you can... but only in your imagination!

Underlying all new conversions to the JW beliefs is this hope of perfection. This dream is a very strong incentive to join and remain in the JW org... but like all delusions it cannot materialize.

Utopia after all means 'nowhere' and that is where the ideal new world will ever remain.

The dystopia lies in the present smiley faced “theocracy” of JW org where the members are held in thrall to the deluded leaders by fear and threats to their own disadvantage.

Much, much, much better is to get a good education and learn how to cope with the real world and dreams should be understood to be just dreams methinks.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

made me look at n. Korean propaganda art. Their Armageddon type pics portrays them as victims of evil US military men

• Half banana
    Half banana
    Propaganda and mind control...it works a treat...but only for the cult leaders.
  • MarkofCane
    MarkofCane

Crazy how similar cults operate. Show them the utopian fantasy and sell them the illusion.

"Captives to a concept"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit