Star Trek: TSG - Careful what you watch

by Coded Logic 8 Replies latest social humour

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

It has come to our attention that many of you enjoy watching Star Trek. While there is nothing wrong with a modest amount of entertainment in our lives we need to make sure the shows we are bringing into our households meet God's standards. Much of the content that has been created for the Star Trek universe is, of course, a conscious matter. However, we caution you Brothers and Sisters that the show Star Trek: The Next Generation is not suitable viewing material for faithful witnesses as it directly contradicts the promise Jesus gave us in Matthew 24.

Jesus said that "this generation will by no means pass away" before the time of the end. However, the writers of Star Trek TNG have shown a blatant disregard for this promise. For example, both Dr. McCoy and Commander Spock lived until the time of the crew of the Enterprise D was formed.

Also, Captain Kirk survived into the twenty-fourth century via the Nexus and Engineer Scott was also able to make it by jury-rigging a transporter to maintain his pattern buffer until he was rescued.

Clearly, this show is not Star Trek: The Next Generation - because the "generations" overlap. Rather, this show should have been titled Star Trek: The Same Generation. As Jehovah's loyal followers, we should want to stay away from some such debase and worldly thinking that undermines Jesus generational promise. Let us remain faithful by removing this show from our Netflix ques and throwing out the seriously overpriced (yet amazingly remastered) Blu-Rays we bought.

Sincerely,

The Governing Borg

• zeb
    zeb
    An elder actually said at a conv that we should not watch the movie "E.T." as he represented the anti-Christ getting the biggest "HUH?" from the audience.
  • sir82
    sir82

An elder actually said at a conv that we should not watch the movie "E.T." as he represented the anti-Christ

Actually, he was paraphrasing an Awake article contemporaneous with the movie's release. Don't have my CD handy or I would look it up.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Thanks Coded Logic I needed a laugh.

Actually Captain Kirk and his crew could overlap as many generations as they liked either back in time or forward in time and never come across Jesus , Jehovah , or any other so called GOD .

smiddy

• ttdtt
    ttdtt
    We had a CO that spent 3 years reminding everyone at the congregation and at assemblies how shows like Star Trek distort the beautiful form god created man in and how they promote evolution.
  • stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

In fact, ALL of the Star Trek series are One giant overlapping generation!

The original series, TNG, Voyager, DS9 and the movies....

Yes, One giant overlapping generation....

Trust me, it's true, because the Borg told us so.....

"you will be assimilated, resistance is futile"

• blondie
    blondie

*** g83 7/8 p. 27 Christ or E.T.? ***

Christ or E.T.?

E.T.—The Extra-Terrestrial burst on the scene in the United States this past summer, attracting theater audiences in record numbers. In only six weeks it grossed nearly $150 million. With spin-offs in E.T. dolls, toys and other merchandise—as well as the movie’s release in other parts of the world—it is estimated the public could spend a whopping $1 billion on E.T. Why the E.T. fever?

The movie depicts an ungainly 3-foot (90-cm)-high creature from space, stranded on earth, who befriends a ten-year-old boy named Elliott. E.T.’s friendliness and benign powers, such as healing the boy’s cut finger and bringing flowers to life, win the affection of Elliott and his family. Sadly, a wasting illness appears to take the creature’s life. But when he is inexplicably “resurrected” before Elliott’s eyes audiences cheer. His touching good-bye, when E.T.’s alien friends take him home, leaves hardly a dry eye in the theater.

Interestingly, many have noted parallels in the story to that of the life of Jesus Christ. Said Professor Albert E. Millar, Jr.: “I think the thing that struck me most was the idea of the capacity to heal, and then when E.T. died and was resurrected.” We have in E.T., then, an enchanting Messiahlike figure that gives momentary emotional release to our need for a true friend with powers greater than ours. Therein lies the movie’s great appeal.

Despite its seemingly Christian message, however, the movie subtly condones youthful misbehavior. In an early scene we find youths playing “Dungeons and Dragons” in a smoke-filled room with a lighted cigarette on the table. Later on, when E.T. gets drunk sampling beer, and Elliott in telepathic sympathy feels the effects, it is all portrayed as something cute. Further, some of the language used by these children is gross profanity. This, along with the supernatural aspects of the movie, has bothered many Christians.

Whether parents or their children see this movie is, of course, a matter of personal choice. But because of the movie’s great popularity, let us not forget that it becomes an effective vehicle for sugarcoating youthful conduct that is definitely wrong.

E.T. may be a skillfully constructed and highly entertaining movie. But it provides no substitute for our True Friend, Jesus Christ, who saves us from this dying, wicked world. After all, E.T. is make-believe. Christ is reality.

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic
    stuckinarut2, hahaha, yeah I guess I really didn't go far enough. They probably would see all of them as the same generation!
  • Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

Haha! Thanks, blondie! That was hilarious! I can't believe they actually wrote and published that!

Interestingly, many have noted parallels in the story to that of the life of Jesus Christ.

Yes, I am sure that is exactly what Steven Spielberg, a Jew, intended! Haha!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit