No-See-ums bug bites, have you experienced these little pest?

by James Mixon 12 Replies latest jw friends

• lurkernomore
    lurkernomore
    Just read up about them... glad we don't have them in the UK.
  • Sabin
    Sabin

Glad I live in Australia.

• Zoos
    Zoos
    In my research I found they are active in Phoenix, Az, Denver, Tn just to name a few places.

You can add South Carolina to that list.

[scratch]

*itch*

:(

• James Mixon
    James Mixon
    Anyone have any idea where they came from??
  • OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

No see ums are also called sand flies. Lots of them in Northern Saskatchewan. The sandy soil of the Boreal Forest is a big attraction for them.

And they bite like hell...very itchy. Awful when you go fishing. They actually take little bites of your skin - they don't sting like a mosquito.

• mann377
    mann377
    Try Avon Skin So Soft. I fish a lot and have tried this. It seems to work. I think Avon came out with one spec. for bug bites.
  • OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Mann377, yes, I have heard that Skin-So-Soft is good. I would try tea tree oil, too. Tea tree oil works for ticks and most other insects so it might be good for sand flies, too.

Either way...you smell good!

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100

Mann377

You should try diesel fuel, rub that on they don't like that either used to use it for that purpose when I was a kid. Works great! But there are downsides to it though.

• Sail Away
    Sail Away

I was introduced to no see ums in Coronado, Panama. They are brutal little creatures, and they seem to strike at dusk. The locals recommended this product:

https://www.littlemoonessentials.com/not-buggin-me-bug.html

I didn't get a chance to try it, but ordered it from Amazon.com when I got home. Not Buggin' Me! is supposed to be a good overall natural bug repellent.

• SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass

Sabin:

Thank goodness you don't have them in Aussie or they'd probably kill you like so many other things that bite do. 😉

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit