Critical Thinking and undeniable facts of true truiness

by losthobbit 6 Replies latest jw friends

• losthobbit
    losthobbit

I was recently writing to someone on the Fractal Future Forum. He came across as a very intelligent person, but I noticed that a post of his about medicine showed that he seemed to lack a lot of knowledge about medical testing and the scientific method. So, I asked him some questions, and his reply seemed to contain a logical fallacy in every sentence, concluding with a quote from mercola.com, one of those really dodgy conspiracy theory / anti-science type of sites. You know, the ones that use words like "true" and "fact" and stick things in "BOLD, CAPITAL" letters to make them truer. Now I know, from reading books about cognitive dissonance, that it's likely if I challenge him, then by defending himself, his belief in nonsense will just grow stronger.

Which is why I'm here. I haven't been here in a while, but I remember back in the good old days how much fun I had talking to all these amazing people who had learned to think critically about their former beliefs... and I just really need a place to have a little rant, and then feel good about it afterwards :)

Begin rant - AAAAAAAAAAAAARGH! - End rant.

So... I thought I'd just spend a little bit of time promoting critical thinking. These are some of my favourite books to help improve thinking skills. Which ones have you read, and which are your favourites?

Software for Your Brain (Download for free)
    English Thinking: The Three Methods (Updated version of Software for Your Brain)
    Mistakes Were Made, But Not By Me (Easy to read book on cognitive dissonance)
    Your Deceptive Mind (Audio book on critical thinking)
    The Demon Haunted World (Carl Sagan's excellent book on critical thinking)
    When Prophecy Fails (Practical example of cognitive dissonance)
    Bad Science (Mostly about medicine and how to figure out which ones to trust)
    Tricks of the Mind (For fans of the magician Derren Brown)
    Nonsense On Stilts (Discussions about various topics)

Special note: By reading to the bottom of this post you've qualified to read an UNDENIABLE FACT of TRUE TRUENESS: If you share this post with a friend, you will have a million gazillion dollars added to your bank account instantly!

- The Fresh Prince of Nigeria (and random rambler)

• DJS
    DJS

LostHobbit,

First of all I have to say that I'm a Tolkien fan, big time. Second, I have to say that I have an intense dislike of conspiracy theorists. Having said that, you have entered a site where conspiracy theorists are every-effing-where. Good luck. There are so many of them that at times I feel like a lone zombie slayer in a "B" movie, having just exhausted my ammo and broken my Louisville slugger. Surrounded, at least for a while!!

Seriously, when the theorists aren't conspiratorial they are good folk. Welcome back, from There and Back Again.

• username
    username
    DJS. I completely respect your thoughts on conspiracy theorists. Is there anything that makes you hate conspiracy theories so much? I'm asking this with the upmost respect for you here :)
  • besty
    besty
    thanks for the list - thats just what i need right now..
  • JWdaughter
    JWdaughter
    Do you ever feel like you are the only one who isn't going to run to the attic when ghouls attack? That never goes well.
  • username
    username
    My attic is to cold and drafty so aint nobody got time for dat!
  • losthobbit
    losthobbit

One of the reasons I can't stand conspiracy theories, besides a general dislike for anything untrue, is because they can be quite insensitive. Often the target is governments (often all governments, because governments all conspire together - they love each other so much and don't like people who are not in government) or medical researchers (yip, all qualified medical researchers want to kill us all). These are real people and usually doing what they believe is right to make the world a better place. To listen to them being verbally attacked is quite annoying.

Alien conspiracies, on the other hand, are all true. SETI is run by aliens!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit