New NWT deception at Genesis 8:22 to indicate earth remains forever.

by jwfacts 51 Replies latest watchtower bible

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    But anyway as I said to SBF, I just hope that I am on the earth when it perishes/ceases to exist…rather it is due to being one that made it through the GT or was due to being a resurrected one after the GT.

You have as much chance being on the Death Star when Luke Skywalker returns.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

The calculated lifetime for earth is 7.79 billion years, it's estimated to be about

4.5 billion years. So I guess you can say that is forever, but it will end one day after

we are loooong gone.

• johnamos
    johnamos
    Why do you hope "when it perishes/ceases to exist"?

I am assuming that you are asking why do I want to be on the earth at the time that it ‘perishes/ceases to exist’…

Let’s say you are correct in your thinking…but see if you can follow my reasoning/understanding and if you agree.

The earth will not perish/cease to exist due to mankind (global warming, nuclear, etc..) because Jesus’ arrival is said to occur after the GT is cut short (at the end of the 42 month rule of the 8th king). This arrive is also known as the day of Jehovah and the time when the first resurrection occurs and the 1,000 years begin with Jesus and those now as a result of the first resurrection begin ruling as kings and together they now separate the sheep from goats. This takes place on this earth…correct??? So therefore the earth is still here but now minus the goats, current world governments, etc… and with Satan being locked up for the 1,000 years.

So now the sheep (aka the great crowd) and those that will be resurrected that were not part of the first resurrection will still be here on this earth so that at the end of the 1,000 years Satan can be let loose for the final test…so therefore this earth is still in existence.

What difference does it make where you are and at what time?

So if this earth will ever cease to exist I want to be here on it when that time comes, or at least to be more precise I want to be here on it after the final test…then if it is Jehovah’s will that those remaining after that test, go to a new earth (any of the planets he chooses) that would be fine with me and if afterward if in time this earth perishes/ceases to exist or if Jehovah just destroys it all at once…so be it.

• I_love_Jeff
  • I_love_Jeff
  • I_love_Jeff
    I_love_Jeff
    "The revised NWT cleverly and conveniently took the negative particle lō' meaning "not" or "never" toward the end of the sentence, and placed it at the beginning of the verse (as did ISV) after the constituent adverb ‛ôd, still within the bounds of Hebrew-English translation to have it say: "From now on, the earth will never cease to have seed-sowing and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, and day and night."
    BUT, the NWT reader may get the overall impression, more so than with Fox's translation, that the verse somehow indicates the eternal existence of the earth, when that in itself is not explicit by the wording used."
  • Kick50r
    Kick50r

I believe since Gilgamesh Epics around 2100 B.C. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_of_Gilgamesh) Religions "adjust / change" whatever they need in order to get whatever "interpretation" they want.

All the references regarding Earth lasting forever just demonstrate some degree of ignorance from the ones that have written it, because : the sun is a main sequence star as many others in this great universe in which nothing is eternal.(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun)

I personally think "inspired people" would KNOW THIS , since now 12 year olds with smartphone do. lol

“They must find it difficult, those who have taken authority as truth, rather than truth as authority.”

Take Care

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

A little more information on the opening word of Genesis 8.22 (‛ôd ):

The Hebrew adverb ‛ôd has been rendered with the idea of a: going-around, continuance, still, again, yet, while, as long as, during, etc.

It has two primary categories of meaning relating to action: continuing or durative action, and repeated or additional action. Other nuances of the word derive from one of these two primary semantic roles.

The NASB, a literal translation, renders the term mostly as: "again" (nearly 100x); "still" (84); "longer", "any longer" (nearly 100x), "yet (43x); "more" (39x), and in numerous other ways in lesser representations. So anyone can see from this that there is no one word to cover all that can be expressed with ‛ôd.

‛ôd can also be negated with the addition of a negative particle 'ayin or lō', (which appears at the beginning of Gen. 8.22). At Isaiah 2.4, the negative particle lō' appears with ‛ôd (Literally: "and-not they-will-learn more war": NASB, "Never again will they learn war.")

Other examples: Gen. 8.21; 9.15; Lev. 27.20; Num. 18.22; Deut. 3.26; Ecc.9.6)

At Gen. 9.15, we read: "and never again will the waters become a flood to destroy all flesh." The statement does not exclude another world-wide judgment. Does it?

Now we can better understand why Fox translated Gen. 8.22 thus: "22 (never) again, all the days of the earth, shall sowing and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night ever cease!" (Parenthesis his.)

Hence, the Hebrew word at the beginning of the verse (in the presence of the negative particle in the full statement) may serve as an adverbial expression modifying the whole sentence. The NW translators of the Revised edition employed it as such at the beginning of the verse, affecting the whole statement. It does not mean that their selection of words or the sum of them was the best translation choice, but perhaps they saw a chance here to prop their doctrinal belief of an ever-lasting earth.

Someone may conclude that their choice of words must implicate the earth is forever, eternal. However, the adverbial expression, "from now on" excludes the inherent notion of eternity or creation of the earth up to the point of the spoken declaration. Actually, biblical context shows the earth was created. (Gen. 1.1) It wasn't forever there. Nor should the verse be used as proof that the earth shall endure forever. Whether the earth is ever-lasting or not must be gathered from other Scriptural sources.

The main point is that, "As long as the earth remains, there will be planting and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night." (NLT)

Through clever use of words, translators at times indulge in interpreting certain passages to their own belief. The NWTr may have done so here, but other translators don't hesitate to do alike in other places (like using "hell" for both "hades" and "tartarus" in their versions-2 Pet 2.4), or by adding "personality" to "spirit of God" at Genesis 1.2.

So basically, at Gen. 8.22, God promised that the daily and annual cycles of nature would continue for as long as the earth remained. I think the rest is added interpretation to God's declaration.

• KingJehu1
    KingJehu1

Whoever preach the Earth ending faces a serious dillema with Revelation 21:3,4 . It says " Humans " ( creatures of flesh and blood are the one named humans ) it didn't say Spirits. Shaking my head for some peeps . Jwfacts also wrote one nonsense on his website that the Bible nowhere speaks of an earthly ressurection. So for a case study , when the unrighteous ones of Acts 24:15 rise from dead , they will be in heaven, unrighteous ? You have to reason sensibly sometimes people.

• iwantoutnow
    iwantoutnow

You are parsing the bible as if any of it makes sense, or is true?

What's the point, its a bad fiction book.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit