Evolution is a Fact - Index for Numbers 1 - 20

by cofty 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

#1 Protein Functional Redundancy
    Comparing the sequences of amino acids in ubiquitous proteins confirms the relationship between all living things.

#2 DNA Functional Redundancy
    Comparison of the DNA that codes for the amino acids of ubiquitous proteins predicts the tree of life with an astonishing degree of accuracy.

#3 ERVs
    Endogenous retroviruses that infected our ancestors are found in the same place of the genome of our closest primate cousins.

#4 Smelly Genes
    Hundreds of broken genes that used to code for olfactory receptors in our ancestors are still found in our genome.

#5 Vitamin C
    Why humans can no longer make their own vitamin C and what that tells us about our species' history.

#6 Human Chromosome 2
    Our second biggest chromosome is made up of two of our ancestors' genes stuck end-to-end.

#7 Human Egg Yolk Gene
    Humans and our primate cousins have the genes for making vitellogenin and they are all broken in the same way.

#8 Jumping Genes
    Bits of parasitic code called ALU elements prove our common ancestry with primates.

#9 Less Chewing More Thinking
    A broken gene for a type of muscle fibre we no longer have tells a story about our evolutionary past.

#10 Non-Coding DNA
    In common with many other species huge amounts of our genome originated as copying errors.

#11 Tiktaalik
    An amazing fossil discovery illustrates the transition of life from sea to land.

#12 Lenski's E.coli Experiment
    An experiment with E.Coli, now in it's third decade, demonstrates the power of natural selection.

#13 Morris Minor Bonnets
    Evolution has to make do with building on existing designs as illustrated by the recurrent laryngeal nerve.

#14 Joey Goes to Oz
    Fossil evidence for the origins of marsupials found in Antarctica exactly as predicted.

#15 Robinson Crusoe
    The biogeography of oceanic islands presents an impossible dilemma for creationism.

#16 Aquatic Mammals
    An excellent sequence of fossils illustrates the evolutionary journey of whales from land to sea.

#17 Belyaev's Silver Foxes
    A 50 year breeding programme demonstrates the amazing power of selection and the interconnected nature of genes.

#18 Fish Fingers
    The evolution of limbs is mapped out in an amazing sequence of ancient fish fossils.

#19 Goosebumps
    A vestigial reflex bequeathed by our hairier ancestors.

#20 Lucy in the Sky...
    An exceptional fossil of a 3 million year old hominid.

• Magnum
    Magnum
    Thanks. I haven't read the posts yet because of lack of time, but the titles certainly caught my attention. I was intending to find them all, read them, and save the material in my notes. This makes it far easier.
  • cofty
    cofty

Just noticed a mistake on number 6.

It should read "Our second biggest chromosome is made up of two of our ancestors' chromosomes stuck end-to-end"

• Laika
    Laika
    Does this mean you've finished? :(
  • cofty
    cofty

No.

I will replace this with an index of 1-30; 1-40 and so on and on and on and ...

• Laika
    Laika
    Oh, good news! Thank you for taking the time to write these threads, it's very kind.
  • cofty
    cofty
    You're very welcome Laika
  • konceptual99
  • Simon
    Simon
    Top banana!
  • Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

Cofty,

Thank you very very much.

In near future I will probably use this as a basis to wake up a dear friend.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit