Update on Royal Commission - "Child sex abuse inquiry hears 4000th testimony"

by OrphanCrow 13 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Newcastle HeraldChild sex abuse inquiry hears 4000th testimony

By JOANNE McCARTHY Sept. 10, 2015, 10:30 p.m

THE Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse held its 4000th private hearing in a jail in August as Britain followed Australia’s lead in tackling child sexual abuse.
    The royal commission heard evidence on August 19 from a prisoner who had been sexually abused as a child.
    In Britain, the head of its newly established Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse praised the ‘‘remarkable’’ response to the Australian commission.
    In a speech to Australian church leaders on Thursday, Royal commissioner Justice Peter McClellan said he was pleased the British inquiry would closely follow successful Australian arrangements.
    More than 1500 people were waiting for a private hearing and about 40 people a week requested a private hearing, Justice McClellan said.
    The royal commission has received 16,361 allegations involving 3566 institutions since it was established in November 2012 following the Newcastle Herald’s Shine the Light campaign for a royal commission into historic child sexual abuse.
    More than 7000 allegations relate to religious institutions, with 4418 against the Catholic Church, and more than 3600 against government institutions.
    Allegations against other churches are: Anglican, 871; Uniting Church, 411; Presbyterian, 123; Methodist, 69; Salvation Army, 519; Jehovah’s Witnesses, 137; Jewish, 80; Baptist, 59; Seventh Day Adventist, 56; Australian Christian Churches, 50; Lutheran, 32; Brethren, 30; Mormon, 18; Coptic Orthodox, 4; and Greek Orthodox, 2.Justice McClellan said the royal commission had referred 727 matters to police to investigate with a view to prosecuting alleged offenders.
    In the past few weeks, the royal commission had reported to the federal government on a national redress scheme for victims of abuse.
    It was clear that time limits presented ‘‘a considerable, and sometimes an insurmountable, burden for survivors wishing to commence civil proceedings’’ against child sex offenders and institutions, he said.
    The royal commission should also mark the end of ‘‘the societal norm that children should be seen but not heard’’, he said.
    ‘‘When the required silence of the child was accompanied by an unquestioning belief by adults in the integrity of the carer ... the power imbalance was entrenched to the inevitable detriment of many children,’’ Justice McClellan said.
    ‘‘We must ensure that in the future the institution does not silence the child.’’
  • Dumplin
    Dumplin

the light is getting brighter

shine the light royal commission

"there is nothing hidden that will not be revealed"

Justice McClellan: ‘‘We must ensure that in the future the institution does not silence the child.’’

Just look at the list above. All those religions and they can't comprehend McClellan's simple concept??

i need a drink.

• Dumplin
    Dumplin
    thx OC
  • OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Dumplin: "there is nothing hidden that will not be revealed"

"And a little child shall lead them."

• username
    username
    I sorry to be the harbinger of doom but regarding the UK inquiry. If the government are trying to suppress child abuse allegations made against their own MP's , I can't imagine the UK inquiry being very successful!
  • OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    username: If the government are trying to suppress child abuse allegations made against their own MP's ,

Username, I don't think that Australian MPs had child abuse allegations made against them. There were government institutions investigated and allegations made against employees of those institutions, but nowhere have I read that allegations against MPs were covered up.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Dumplin - "I need a drink."

After 4000 testimonies, I'm pretty sure the RC reps do, too.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Suzann: I was just curious as to why it says there were 137 allegations against JW's when we know there are over 1000 perpetrators?

The number of perpetrators is the number in the WTS files that the Commission subpoened.

The 137 allegations is the number of victims that have given testimony. The Commission doesn't subpoena victim testimony. It is voluntary. 137 victims have come forward to give statements to the Commission.

I think that is what the 137 means...

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    Marking for later.
  • umbertoecho
    umbertoecho

I sorry to be the harbinger of doom but regarding the UK inquiry. If the government are trying to suppress child abuse allegations made against their own MP's , I can't imagine the UK inquiry being very successful!

Oh. Don't worry about that. There is a collective consciousness at work here. This is not some Freudian Theory. Whoever is exposed will go down. I have complete faith in the basic good of mankind. I know we focus on the bad for it is newsworthy. However, I will always pump out the energy that supports the good in people..."The thought gives birth to the deed" and such sayings.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit