Paradise Lost

by Perry 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Perry
    Perry

Thinking back to my most earliest of memories, I remember the wonderment of life. I can still smell the pugnent floral breezes and experience being mesmerized into hypnosis watching the white linen sheets dance to an unheard accompaniment on the clothes line. Mother seemed like a god to me the way she hung that laundry so effortlessly and happily. The cool grasses beneath my naked arms and legs tantalized my senses as I watched eagles soar on the early summer convections of rising thermals.

Admidst the beauty of a budding canopy of pecan and oak trees, I felt the full impact and enormity of the gift of life and promised myself that I would do everthing in my power to feel like I did at that moment forever. I was not yet five years old and it seems like yesterday.

Whether it was that day or another one, I do not recall. But it was in that state of mind of total appreciation and ectasy that I had my first bible study. Mom took a seat with me on the ground and we started to study the Paradise book. My reality was soon shattered. I learned about hatred. I learned about murder..... murder of little children like me. I learned about fear and revenge. Of course mother was a gem and did her best to save me from being destroyed.... she only wanted the best for me. She told me how to avoid such a fate. I loved my mother but my fear of the terrible scenes and pictures in the book were greater. They bothered me a great deal. They still do to this very day.

On that day I ceased existing as a human being and became a human doing. That wonderful and magical state of being was usurped and replaced with a state of perpetual doing....doings meant to avoid such a terrible fate as the children in the Paradise book.

Over the Christmas holidays recently, I reflected on my good fortune of being introduced to such a world view. I decided to pull out that old Paradise book and simply catagorize the nature of the illustrations. I certainly couldn't read at age 4 (this was before phonics friends), so I read through the pictures.

Here's what I found.

Murder ........................... 32 images showing hundreds of killings, many of children

Violence ........................ 2

Paradise ........................ 10

Witnessing .................... 4

Bible ............................. 4

Misc. ............................ 14

Sin ................................ 5

Sadness ....................... 1

Political Domination ........ 1

Fear ............................... 2

Betrayal ......................... 2

Prayer ............................ 1

Christ ............................. 5

One image stuck with me above all others..... all through these years. It was one where the earth opened up and swallowed dozens of people. One of the people falling to their death was a little girl about the same age as I was at the time. She was holding her little doll who was falling down with her to her death. Her little puppy also didn't make it, he was falling too.

Fully fifty percent of the images were terribly destructive for a young developing mind. No wonder my feelings of security soon vanished. Looking back, I feel like I had been raped. A childhood that was meant to be experienced as peaceably and secure as possible was stolen by a bunch of greedy religionists who never even had children of their own.

What the hell were they thinking?

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

All religions use fear tactics, and the WTBTS is no different, but trying to scare children is deplorable.

• Dawn
    Dawn

Perry:

I know EXACTLY what you mean! There was an older book for children - I think it was yellow cover if I recall (this would have been 30+ years ago) and the pictures in there scared me to death.

My parents gave my daughter (then about 3) the "My Book of Bible Stories" - they were a little upset when I gave it back to them. Of course they used the excuse that it's just stories about the bible. I pointed out the terrible violence depicted in the pictures and told them that no little child needs to be exposed to that kind of fear of God. I went to the bible book store and found a wonderful little bible story book for toddlers - then I showed it to them and pointed out how positive those stories and pictures were - much more age appropriate. To my suprise they agreed with me.

I did not get out soon enough to spare my older child from that fear - although he is now almost 17 and no longer goes to meetings or wants to be a JW he still has the fear of Armageddon and death. My little girl will never have to experience that.

• Mary
    Mary

Yep I remember that picture in the Paradise book too, but the one I remember most is the one showing a man's foot stomping on the head of a snake with the caption "He will bruise you in head and you will bruise Him in the heal."

That picture, coupled with the prophetic "I will put enmity between you and the woman and between your seed and her seed" made me think that that's why we all hate snakes and that snakes are all Satan in disguise.

(yes they are!!!)

• Brummie
    Brummie

Great- yet sad- post perry, great style in writing too!

32 images showing hundreds of killings, many of children

That just about says it all...name one other organisation that has unleashed such horrifying pictures into the minds of kids through their literature. I can think of none

Thanks for sharing

Brumm

• calamityjane
    calamityjane

Excellant Post Perry. Are you a professional writer? If not you should be.

Paradise Lost is the book my mother used to teach me to read, and at age 5 I was reading to her everyday.

I recall that picture. Unfortunately I discarded most of the publications years ago. I am not sure if this is the same picture , but I remember buildings toppling, and people raising their arms to protect themselves, and yes the ground opening up and people plummeting to their deaths. These pictures stay with you your whole life I think. When 9/11 occured, and I saw the events on TV, that picture, instantly came to mind. Yes, what a way to instill obedience to a cause, then to scare you into submission.

My wife when she was a child, age 5-6, had nightmares over that picture, and others, including the heel and the serpant. She woke up on many a night, crying, dreaming her bed was being overrun with snakes, afraid she was going to perish at Armageddon. Why ? Her parents had stopped going to the KH over personality conflicts in the congregation. She pleaded with her parents to go back to the KH so she would not die at Armegedon. Unfortunately for them, they relented. Fortunately for me, my wife is out, but her parents continue to be chained to the treadmill, running the race, that can never end.

The WTBTS alway bragged, that they never preached eternal hellfire. I suppose the thoughts and images that the pictures in Paradise Lost conjured were from a kindler and gentler god !

Amen.

xjw_b12 & calamityjane

• Brummie
    Brummie

xjw_b12 & calamityjane I have read your introduction posts and still forgot to say hello...so helloooooooooooo & welcome. You have great stories and glad to see your wife finally joined this den of addiction lol. She's well and truly hooked....good! cus you both make great posts.

BTW your bang on, those images are installed in us from an early age, and they bring nothing but destruction onto a young mind, how they have the audacity to call their literature "Food at the right time" is beyond me. Who needs that sort of food when it give such bad indigestion all through the night.

Brummie

• Perry
    Perry

Thanks for the comments everyone. And, welcome to the board calamityjane. All I can say is I'm so glad that their phobia tactics didn't work on you nice folks. I would still like to have that little childish innocence back though. Funny thing is, now that I am free of the burden, I occassionally get that feeling back from time to time.

Regards,

Perry

Edited by - Perry on 18 January 2003 4:30:11

• La Capra
    La Capra

I was right in between the Paradise book (Dry Tang colored as I recall) and My Book of Bible Stories (Suspiciously the same gold color as the vinyl upholstery on the Kingdom Hall seats). I couldn't quite read when I was regularly handed the Paradise Book. But I understood the pictures. My mother was a kindergarten teacher and she held it to be perfectly appropriate for her 3 year old child to view the graphics. I have no clue what she was thinking. I regularly awoke in the night from nightmares of armageddons, holocausts, war, death and destruction. I felt guilty for those nightmares-as though if I had been a good enough little girl I wouldn't have to worry about that kind of end. I could never tell my mom what they were about. When she asked, I wouldn't answer and then whenever she would name something, I would just say that was what it was.

Then when I was 10, My Book of Bible Stories was released (international convention, Candlestick Park $2.50 "donation"). By that time my reading was well beyond the text and I found it tremendously condescending. But I did use it not to pay attention at meetings and assemblies. Interestingly, a few weeks ago, while at my parents, I went in search of one. I wanted to have one again to remind myself of my younger ideas of G-d and such. I searched everywhere one might be in the house. I couldn't find a single one. I was dumbfounded. I have two young nieces that spend a lot of time with my mom. I was surpised to see she didn't keep one around for them. But after reading these posts, maybe my mom figured it out that some of the images really are too violent for kids.

I can't wait til the next time I am there, I am going in search of the Paradise Book too. Would not surprise me at all if that one is AWOL too.

Shoshana

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Hey brother perry if you got a scanner, put up that picture from the paradise book of those buildings falling in to the street and all the screaming people about to die. I never forgot that image. Its a shocker.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit