Brooklyn Assembly Hall

by worf 15 Replies latest jw friends

• worf
    worf

I have been told that the Brooklyn Assembly Hall located on Flatbush Avenue In Brooklyn New York and otherwise known as the Albemarle Theatre, has been sold.

Has anyone else heard this? Can anyone here confirm this?

Thanks for any info.

Worf

• jwsons
    jwsons

I don't know about Brooklyn Assembly Hall yet but something new related here

jwsons

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

If that's true they have sold to Assembly halls in the NYC metro area.... what are the plans for replacing the seating? Assembly halls are usually booked 48 or 50 weeks a year in dense areas.

Won't it be grand if they return to High school gyms in NYC? Such a blessing from God that CEASAR built this fine Gym and these cushy steel chairs.

The "New Breed" witness just couldnt cut it 30 years ago...

• Golden Girl
    Golden Girl

You said a mouthful hillbilly! Today's witnesses couldn't have cut it.. 30 ...years ago..but at least we had sit down hotmeals!

The heatstroke and food poisoning was an added touch!...

Snoozy...

• benext
    benext

It would seem unlikely this Assembly Hall was sold there are two KH in the basement. Unless they plan on converting space in the factory buildings to meeting places.

• undercover
    undercover

...their work on the former Masonic Temple at 385 Broadway was praised by the commission's executive director, Michael Wing.

The Jehovah's Witnesses are cleaning up, repainting and refurbishing the temple in a way that meets their needs for worship but doesn't despoil the building's original intent, said Wing. A large Masonic symbol in ornate floor tile has been covered with a circular rug, he said.

Other symbols on the outside of the building have been covered with stucco, he said.

The congregation could have obliterated both, but they remain, he said.

The Masonic symbol was covered by a rug? Is this acceptable to Jehovah in his house of worship?

Does this mean I can hang Heavy Metal bands, movie star and sport star posters on my walls but just cover them with a curtain and that would be OK by the GB?

• Room 215
    Room 215

As I recounted in an earlier thread, I was in on the renovation of NYC's first Assembly Hall, in Queens. That building, a former movie theater, was loaded with mystic Egyptian motifs including innumerable crux ansata (cross-like phallic symbols) incised into the mouldlings. Knorr and other bigwigs were not about fret over obliterating these sympols if it meant slowing down the makever.

It was only when the locals who attended sessions there raised a stink and began to question openly whether the Society really meant what it said about ``getting out Babylon" and ``avoiding even the slightly impression of any toleration of false religious practices and traditions" did we get serious about plastering these over.

• undercover
    undercover
    It was only when the locals who attended sessions there raised a stink and began to question openly whether the Society really meant what it said about ``getting out Babylon" and ``avoiding even the slightly impression of any toleration of false religious practices and traditions" did we get serious about plastering these over.

Well, the locals or the R&F were taught well then. The Society keeps pounding "flee from Babylon", "Babylon the Great will be destroyed" and other information about service to Jehovah being uncorrupted by idols and images in the followers brains enough that this reaction should have been expected.

Personnally, I think it's great that historic buildings are preserved as original. Pagan influences and all. But for a group that pushes such high ideals and idealogy on it's member so as to not have any thing that can be taken as false worhip images(even when used for simple decor) in their homes but allows it in their buildings smacks of hypocrisy.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Hi Room215,

Was that the Assembly Hall in Greenpoint? I was there soon after it opened, and I knew some of the Bethelites who were resident caretakers there. Wasn't that the first Assembly Hall in the US?

I recall how stunned many of us were that the Society left so much of the Egyptian motif intact - as you indicated, we had been taught to hate that which Jehovah hates, only to find out that Jehovah was kidding...

Undercover, I agree with you, about preserving buildings, now that I am so long out of the WTS. But seriously, who has not felt spiritually moved and inspired by the stunning architecture of the typical Kingdom Hall? - OK, now I'm joking. The JW "destroy all infidel culture" mindset is identical to today's Taliban, who ordered the destruction of the giant buddha statues, or the ancient fanatic who felt that the burning of the library at Alexandria was justified because those books that agreed with the Koran were redundant, and those that disagreed where heresy.

Edited by - Nathan Natas on 2 January 2003 10:12:33

• Masterji
    Masterji

On a wall in the Stanley Theater was a picture of a goat.

We removed the tiles that made up his horns and beard. Shazam! Captain Marvel!

And just like that, the old billy goat became a sheep!

M

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit