Eminem and censorship

by Uni girl 67 Replies latest jw friends

• Uni girl
    Uni girl

You know I have read these posts with interest !! what a fire I started.

You know I love Bob Dylan and he spoke of societies ills and in a quite forthright manner. He accessed the audience by speaking their language. Eminem is the same. Do you think Dylan did it as a volunteer or is he living comfortably?? the track 'Kids' enables a good debate on drugs with my kids.
    Eminem makes quite a point when he says
    ' they blame it on Marilyn..but where were the parents at??'
    Perhaps America is not ready for rap music, perhaps they are still uncomfortable about the rage against injustice. They hunted NWA down, Hounded Tupac and they have now set there sights on Eminem and Marilyn Mansun. If parents bring there kids up to respect people and allow their children to have a voice, they will discern right and wrong. What causes problems is when you shut the lines of communication...music with a difficult message allows discussion as it has done with me and my son. Eminem is no different to all the ones that have gone before him, those who have been radical.
    If Eminem is homophobic then why did Elton John show support for him,,,why did Madonna??

• waiting
    waiting

About the persons who listen to Enimen - at least in southern usa, where I live. This would also include rap enthusiasts in general.

We run a store where we sell auto accessories. Along with this, we sell competition quality subwoofers, boxes, & amps. Our buyers are usually 30 & under. Most are quite nice, at least to my face. Others are drug dealers, some stoned and/or drunk coming in. Imho, 70% hs grad, 20% drop outs, 10% in college/grad. Black and white, usually males.

At least 90% of these buyers cannot be financed - I know, we try.
    To encourage these people (and others) to violence against minorities
    just does not make sense to me. Why would I want to encourage men to bitch-slap me?

I have young 19 men working for me - but good electronically and dropped out of school at 15/16 with parental approval. "What do I need a GED for to put in stereo systems?" I asked one of them about Enimen singing with Elton John at the Grammy's. "He sold out to when he sang with that faggot." The other (jw) said: "I don't listen to Elton John because he's gay." We think jw's are homophobic - I don't see much difference between these two men - except the faggot hater wants to beat faggots up.

We are so afraid to say the "N" word. Why? Politically incorrect? What about whore, bitch, faggot, kite, spic, sandnigger, and the host of others words that are meant to degrad other groups of people? And are used prolifically down here - and in Indiana where I grew up.

Imho, this is not about just the freedom of speech. This is about inciting to violence a group of persons who, at least in the south, are not known for their intellectual insight. Imho, it is wrong to encourage violence against another person.

The Beatles did not do this. Edgar Alan Poe did not do this (but he was strange). The KKK does do this. The skinheads do this. The followers of Nazism do this. Just because a person comes from a poor childhood does not give him the inherent right to encourage violence in other persons.

I agree with San Francisco Jim in all his posts. We do not have the right to encourage violence in other people against minorities - whatever their age. It is ethically wrong.

waiting

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

"How many retards'll listen to me
    and run up in the school shootin when they're pissed at a
    teach-er, her, him, is it you is it them?
    "Wasn't me, Slim Shady said to do it again!"
    Damn! How much damage can you do with a pen?"

Marshall Mathers, circa 2000

"The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword"

Some Dude, circa a long time ago

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    'Eminem was simply verbalizing the mumblings of society as a whole.'

Or as he put it:

Windows tinted on my ride when I drive in it
    So when I rob a bank, run out and just dive in it
    So I'll be disguised in it
    And if anybody identifies the guy in it
    I'll hide for five minutes
    Come back, shoot the eyewitness
    Then fire at the private eye hired to pry in my business
    Die, bitches! Pass this brass pest
    Cause Puffy's lucky I didn't blast his ass yet
    If I ever gave a fuck, I'd shave my nut
    stuck my dick inbetween my legs and cluck
    You motherfuckin chickens ain't brave enough
    to say the stuff I say, so this tape is shut
    Shit, half the shit I say, I just make it up
    To make you mad
    so kiss my white naked ass
    And if it's not a rapper that I make it as
    I'ma be a fuckin rapist in a Jason mask

Must be the other half of the shit he says that "verbalizes the mumbling of society as a whole". I guess we should count our blessings? Then again, did Charles Manson kill those people, or just influence others to do it?

I'ma be a fuckin' papist in a John Paul mask TheRealSlimSixy, circa 2001

• TR
    TR

Naeblis,

Believe it or not some of the rhyming schemes in Eminem's songs are rather complex. I bet your father thought the Beatles were "crap" too. Nice to see history repeats itself. Hate Eminem all you want, but don't make your wide brush strokes of opinion until you know what you are talking about. YOu people are so conditioned by the media it can't be anything else but amusing. Open your eyes, open your ears, and leave your judging back in the watchtower where you (supposedly) left it.

Pure unadulterated bullshit. You are doing the same thing you accuse us of.

Conditioned by the media? What a joke. The music sucks, period.

Beatles = music

Eminem= crap

TR

• eminem
    eminem

YO PEEPS!
    My brothers on da net told me, you be dissin me.
    You can hate my lyrics, You can hate me, But they're just words that ain't for free. I make my money and my name, By cussin yall.
    BUT IT IS JUST A GAME!!!!

• waiting
    waiting

well, welcome, enimen,

We try to have a semi-civil place here - so perhaps you could leave your lyrics, including the hatred and violence in your limo?

Red Hot Chili Peppers was quiet in retrospect.

waiting - mother of three who would have reasoned hot and heavy against your music with my children.

• waiting
    waiting

hey six,

I reread - slowly - the above lyrics to my husband, and we just laughed. His brillance? near genius? what a joke, imho.

Wouldn't you just love to be a teacher and have a group of men mumbling these lyrics come into your classroom? Particularily if they each outweight you by 50 pounds - presumably unarmed?

As for Madonna and Elton John in company of Enimen. That has nothing to do with his lyrics. When were any of these people thought to be a deeper thinker, more correct, more politically saavy, more humane, than any of us? Have you ever seen a Republican and Democrat hug each other - when you've read what they've said to each other in news about how dispicable they thought each other? Kennedy & Kruschev bring back memories?

All politics and money. Has not much to do with a value system. Singers, btw, are in the business of singing and making money. And I've been buying Elton John's records for decades. Just doesn't get much better than Bennie & the Jets. But that has nothing to do with his ethics or who he has sex with.

Wouldn't it be a hoot if Elton and Enimen were to be found to be more than "singing buddies?" Why not? Good as any other reason for singing together - any reason is an assumption on our parts.

waiting

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit