Wedding receptions -- weird JW ideas

by Gopher 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gopher
    Gopher

Have a reputation for being immature and quick to take offense! Then you can find yourself invited to a JW wedding reception. Do you doubt this? Read on. (My supplementary comments are in

RED .)

*** w84 4/15 20-1 Find Balanced Enjoyment at Wedding Feasts ***

Honestly, though, who of us [who might get invited to a wedding] would want our friends [the bride and groom to be] to be so afraid of slighting us that they would get saddled with debt and perhaps miss out on the full-time ministry? [OH, the pioneer ministry! I cant wait! I cant wait! Lol.] If we are not invited, how much better to trust that they maturely weighed all factors, including finances. Their not inviting us may even reflect their confidence that we are mature and will not be quick to take offense. (Ecclesiastes 7:9; 1 Corinthians 13:4-7) [So those who ARE coming include those who would whine and complain loudly if they WEREN'T invited. People who are "mature" get left off the invitation list. That sounds like a real fun group to be with!]

We still can share their happiness by attending the Bible-based wedding talk, which is the more important part.

[Come on and hear our Watchtower-based propaganda. Forget about your friendships.]

Worldly people are bad, ill behaved. And JWs always conduct themselves appropriately. Read on.

*** w97 4/15 25 Weddings That Honor Jehovah ***

Some have chosen to invite worldly acquaintances or unbelieving relatives to the wedding talk rather than to the reception. Why? Well, there have been cases when worldly relatives created such an embarrassing situation at a wedding reception that many brothers and sisters felt that they could not remain. Some couples have arranged to have only a small dinner with close family members and Christian friends.

[I'm sure such relatives are puzzled when they're invited only to the talk but not the reception. Imagine if they could read this drivel! They'd probably throw a fit!!]

Edited by - Gopher on 26 October 2002 11:31:26

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Let's exclude everyone!! That won't be cause for our extended families to hate us!!!

ash

• scumrat
    scumrat

Here's another weird idea. At my brothers reception, they placed several song books at each table and had everyone sing kingdom songs. AAAAARRRRFFFF !!!! I got so shitfaced. So sometimes you don't miss anything.

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

i have to say that i never wanted to get married at the KH ever, or want a WTS service as the main part of the day. it would be my day the way my me and my to be wife would want it. no the way others would want it.

• minimus
    minimus

Somewhere it states that a group can get together and sing kingdom songs but you can't dance to them! It's bad enough going to a JW reception and singing kingdom songs, but imagine dancing to "Let's watch how we walk"???

• wednesday
    wednesday

Years ago when there was a wedding everyone was invited. then they started saying that even jw are bad assoication. Then it became an invite only. I crashed a wedding once b/c the bride wanted me there but her sister did not. They actually had MS at the door to keep out uninvited people. Some receptions are ok with dancing and all. Others just stand around.. years ago some jw tried to start a trend by saying personal vows. The WTS quickly stopped that.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Minimus and Wednesday (two days early !!),

Thanks for the reminders about the man-made rules that apply to JW wedding receptions. Once there was a music band made up of JW's here in Minnesota that played mainly at JW wedding receptions. They jazzed up one kingdom song (OK, they set it to a polka beat, this is Minnesota after all), and used it as a prelude to a 15-minute break in the music. The elders put a stop to that "desecration" of the Kingdom song really fast, LOL!

Personal vows, Wednesday? That smacks of independent thinking, or just plain creative thinking! We can't have THAT now !

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Maybe they could have the elders start forming "marital committees". All weddings could be performed in a secret meeting in the back room of the Kingdom Hall, and the elders could even supervise the deflowering of the bride, to make sure that no grossly unnatural acts are performed between the new husband and wife. As an added benefit, due to the secret nature of the meeting, no one could be offended that they were not invited. The new couple might be granted recognition at the next Service Meeting through a simple announcement stating that 'Sister A and Brother B have been married'. No further details need be given to the congregation, but all will thereafter treat the two as a married couple.

• bittersweet
    bittersweet

this is a great thread.Ever notice how all the elders were always invited to the receptions? I guess none of them were mature,eh?

When my husband and I got married,we had to have a brother "oversee"everything..like the music and all that good stuff.We had to go over the music we wanted to play.Anyway,we wanted to play a song by Madonna(a decent one mind you),and he said we couldn't because of her reputation.....lol....then one of the songs we wanted to play was "Earth Angel",and the brother said we couldn't play that song because it had the word angel in it,and it had the worlds viewpoint of what an angel was....lol.Funny thing though,when that brother got married(when he was an elder),he had some questionable music at his reception.

Out of curiosity,those of you that heard kindom songs at receptions....where was that?I never once heard kingdom songs at receptions...that would be too funny.

• apple829
    apple829
    Once there was a music band made up of JW's here in Minnesota that played mainly at JW wedding receptions

We had a "band of brothers" here, too, except they played old Motown hits (they were pretty good). One wedding reception in the early 80's turned into a party! They served champagne. Brothers and sisters were singing and dancing to worldly songs and having a good time. Best time I ever had as a JW!

Needless to say, after that, champagne was not allowed at any more weddings.

There was also a ruckus about the song "Baby Come to Me" by James Ingram and Patty Austin. A line in the song says --"there's a special kind of magic in the air." Well, you can imagine how that went over with the elders, but the bride was insistent on having this song sung. They allowed it after the soloist agreed to say feeling instead of magic.

Sherryl

Edited by - apple829 on 28 October 2002 15:47:15

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit