Why No Beards?

by undercover 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• undercover
    undercover

As I have recently started to question everything I was taught, I started wondering about the grooming "laws". One that never really made sense to me was that the brothers could not have beards. Where is that written? It's not in the Bible. I can't even find anything in the literature. But if you grow a beard, you will end up in the back room.

I remember a CO once using an illustration of a Russian brother who had a beard moving to the States and the elders didn't question his beard. But when the CO showed up he asked why he was allowed to continue have it and serve as an elder. The other elders asked what would they base it on? The CO said, "It's just not done." He even said that from the platform in telling us the story. His whole point was that we should not question organizational ruling but adhere to counsel. He was happy to inform us that the very next meeting, the Russian brother was clean shaven.

Is this not "going beyond the things written"? Is this not "traditions of men"? Nothing I could find would back up any rule or policy or even principle on being clean shaven so as to serve Jehovah more faithfully. I do remember when younger that many felt only hippies or undesirables had beards, but then I saw famous artists, politicians and even religious leaders(CT Russell) with beards. But today, this country's culture has changed so much that you can't judge someone by their grooming anyway.

What are ya'lls thoughts?

• minimus
    minimus

I believe Brother Farkel stated that Judge Rutherford tried to distance himself from Russell. Thereafter beards were a no-no.

• Matty
    Matty

I remember that one as well minimus. There are lots of views about this, as it has never been written down as an official ruling it's difficult to give a definitive reason. I was always told that beards were associated with hippies back in the 60's, and were incompatible with the conservative views of Jehovah's Witnesses and their potential converts. So in that way, it's more to do with how they are perceived by others.

Like a lot of rulings, we're still stuck with it more than 30 years later.

• Gerard
    Gerard

Didn't Jesus wear a beard?

All these make-the-rules-as-you-go is fascinating - in a dark way.

Gerry

Edited by - Gerard on 2 October 2002 13:13:45

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

Interestingly, in WT literature from the 50s, Jesus is even depicted without a beard, e.g. see Paradise Lost - Paradise regained book.

This rule may vary within a country and from country to country, depending on the makeup of elders and sentiments of congregation, and perhaps also of brothers brave enough to introduce it.

Goaties have become pretty common though.

In some countries, e.g. Denmark, the Netherlands and Ireland (as far as I have heard) beards are generally accepted, even for elders.
    (Denmark and the Netherlands being very open-minded, liberal countries).

In Denmark, even brothers having beards may have talks in the assembly programs,
    whereas in a neighboring country, having a moustache might exclude a brother for even
    being a "microphone" servant.

Edited by - InquiryMan on 2 October 2002 13:52:56

Edited by - InquiryMan on 2 October 2002 13:53:46

• SpannerintheWorks
  • undercover
    undercover

Thanks for the link, Spanner. Interesting reading. But out of all that, still no one really knows why the brothers can't have beards. Just dogmatic teaching I guess. To me another piece of evidence that the WTS can't be the true religion. I doubt Jesus worried too much about those things during his ministry.

• reagan_oconnor
    reagan_oconnor

One man from my old cong had a beard. Always kept it neat and tidy, looked very handsome. He was allowed to give talks in the TMS but wasn't ever given "privileges" like carrying the mics or literature counter (that stuff was actually considered a privilege?! Oh, brother. )

I remember asking my Mom why he never read at the 'tower meeting. Mom said b/c he had a beard, but couldn't explain any further.

What a joke.

~reagan

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

When Rutherford took over some Brothers grew beards in protest, knowing his personal dislike of beards. Ever since, beards have been viewed as a sign of rebellion. Of course almost no one knows why it's a sign of rebellion. We do love our traditions.

• larc
    larc

Undercover,

As several have pointed out the decision to get rid of beards was Rutherford's idea. Russell, had a full beard, and Rutherford wanted to distance himself and the organization from Russell and those who admired Russell.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit