Abusing the power of tears. Yet another sign of desperation

by StarTrekAngel 28 Replies latest watchtower bible

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

So I was seating at the meeting this past Sunday. The latest WT article to be studied speaks of "using our imagination" to think about the blessings of the kingdom. The whole study was centered around how we can, and should, spent time visualizing ourselves in the new world, working along with our brothers. Receiving the resurrected ones, etc. At least for the Spanish version, they did not use the word "visualization". Visualization techniques are said to help people achieve goals and stay centered in the process of achieving those goals. Wether is to loose weight, quit smoking or become the next biggest CEO, it is claimed that visualization (the act of imagining one self having achieved that goal) is a very powerful tool.

The word the WT magazine used is "imagination". Reminds me of and old episode of Spongebob. In it (in case your kids are too old or have none), Spongebob gets in a big box and starts making sounds, as if he was part of some fantastic adventure. His neighbor, Squidward, dismisses his child like game until he hears the noises. He runs over and opens the box, just to find Spongebob seating there by himself, inside the box. Upon questioning him on how it was possible for it to sound so real, Spongebob replies.. "Everything is possible when we use our IMAGINATION".

For all practical applications, they were referring to the same thing. They took the time to compare our situation to that of people of the past who "saw" the promise as something real and then tried to have us do the same.

So you probably wonder what does it all have to do with the subject of the thread? Well they spent quite some time in one specific paragraph. You see, if you are familiar with WT studies, you know that there are a handful of folks who give out most of the comments on each paragraphs. They are mostly always the same people. You have another handful who are the shy type, who are willing to read a bible verse out loud but can not find the courage to make up their own comments.

That was not the case for this one paragraph for it had a special question and special meaning to most people. It was one of those paragraphs were you are asked to tell what your hopes are for this upcoming Cinderella like world (I owe that analogy to my wife. Thanks Babe!!) Almost everyone had something to say. Everyone wanted to make a comments and they allowed everyone to take a few seconds and let out their hopes. Most, off course, were centered around wanting to see a dead relative. Before you know it, several people were crying. Those who were able to hold back the tears, could not do so at the end. For as you guessed it, the study was closed with song 134.

I have noticed an increased to what I would call "tear-appeal". I know is not new, I just feel there has been an increase on using this tool. There was a video at the 2014 International RC that we all know about. Since then (almost a year now), I know we had at least four other occurrences. Wether there was talk, a KM article, WT study or a video, but at the end always closing with song 134 and the outcome was identical every time. It is almost like if someone up in Bethel decided that they needed to inoculate everyone with a shot of grief every few months.

Anyway, I thought I would bring this up. I know many here have been JWs for 30 or 40 years. I've only been one for about 13 and I do not recall this type of torture happening so often. To me this is just another sign of desperation by the GB.

• sir82
    sir82

It is emotional manipulation.

The WTS knows all about and enjoys doing it. They see that their adherents will be more loyal if they have an emotional investment in the organization, so they deliberately elicit emotional reactions.

They are shameless.

• JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue
    Yes, those who have lost a loved one are always targeted for emotional manipulation. The idea of seeing a beloved relative again is strong. If an emotional reaction can be gotten it will strengthen their loyalty. Many are stuck because they don't want to lose that hope. They do the same to elderly ones who want to be young, people with disabilities and even those who simply desire friendship.
  • tim3l0rd
    tim3l0rd
    It seems to have ramped up since the introduction of videos. I think they saw how everyone was moved and decided to run with it. It disgusts me now.
  • JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue
    They know that it is easier to get a reaction with video. The past two conventions have both featured emotionally charged videos about seeing dead loved ones. I hate seeing them because they hit some people I know pretty hard.
  • ToesUp
    ToesUp

Great thread.

They do it because they know it works. It used to work on us too. Guilt and fear work wonders on peoples emotions.

I tried using my imagination that I was part of a loving and kind organization but eventually (like most of us here) woke up to the fact that is is a manipulative, high control and abusive cult.

• sir82
    sir82

Yeah the [resurrection / seeing dead loved ones] trope is one of the strongest weapons in their manipulation arsenal.

"If you get DFed or leave the JWs, you won't ever see Gramma / Grampa / mom / dad/ husband / spouse / kid ever again. They'll be in paradise, and ask, where is [your name here]? And you won't be there." [Cue the sobs]

You can pretty much count on seeing a resurrection video at every convention from here on out.

I suspect they'll make some sort of full-length tear-jerker resurrection soap-opera video in the near future.

• Israel Ricky Gonzales
    Israel Ricky Gonzales
    Yeah, I remember the videos being shown at the international convention last year. The die hards were emotional and sang at the top of their lungs, getting drunk with WT wine. I could barely stomach it. I really got a kick out of the international because it was like JW halloween. My 5 year old daughter dressed up in a different "costume" each day and made out like a bandit with candies, goodies, and gifts.
  • notoneoftheboys
    notoneoftheboys
    The GB say "picture the resurrection of your loved ones" yet from the other side of their mouth, they translate jesus words on resurrection and marriage as no reunion for those who died before the GT death ends the marriage vow, hypocrite's
  • Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt

1. Congregation tithing

2. Appealing to emotions

3. Video presentations galore

All one needs now are some ol' time revival healings and the transformation will be complete.

PRAISE JESUS!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit