Candace Conti Settles

by Nitty-Gritty 204 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Nitty-Gritty
    Nitty-Gritty
    @ Doubting Bro, it was Conti's turn to appeal and it was Conti who settled.
  • LisaRose
    LisaRose

They both settled.

The secrecy part of the suit was always a stretch, had they ruled otherwise it would have created a logistical nightmare for all churches. I still believe the the Watchtower is in the wrong, because their culture and practices are completely different from other religions, but the court has chosen not to go there, you have to respect that. Another day, another case hopefully. No doubt the Watchtower will change procedure when it comes to assigning field service, so hopefully this scenario will not happen again.

The fact is Candice did win. Those whiners on Topx can grouse all they want, she won. They are just a bunch of mental cases, Watctower apologists and pedophile defenders. I remember many there predicting Candace would never win any part of this case, looks like they were wrong. It's laughable to think someone who was convicted of child abuse and also previously accused of child abuse was not also guilty in this case. The evidence was there or she would not have won, plain and simple.

Candice may have waned to change policy as regards to secrecy, but that wasn't going to happen and she was smart to take her victory. She has exposed Watchtower's dirty laundry, things that will help other victims with their cases and the publicity about the case has prompted some JWs to investigate and learn the truth about the truth, so Candace is still a hero in my book.

#Candace Wins

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

Nitty-Gritty: @ DarioKehl She exposed nothing that hasn't already been known. I.e that there are child molesters in every strata of society. Your neighbour could be one.

But Watchtower claims to be different from "every strata of society." Remember, JWs are "no part of the world," and there is supposed to be a "spiritual paradise" in the organization, a place of "special protection and safety" from the evils of this world, according to Watchtower.

These child molestation cases are proving that sexual molest of children, which exist in society in general, also exist among Jehovah's Witnesses. This shows that Watchtower is no better than the world it condemns. The more this is known publicly the more Watchtower will suffer as an organization.

The settlement was more to protect Watchtower's interests than Conti's.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Nitty Gritty says Remember her aim she said was not the money, but to change WT policy. WT policy was not changed.

That remains to be seen for this is still new and recent of an event.

My guess is that it wont , the WTS wants to keep an image of itself distinct and unique from the rest of the religions out there, this has more relevance and importance than protecting the health and welfare of children that are attending their Kingdom Halls.
  • Nitty-Gritty
    Nitty-Gritty

@ Berrygerry, I am no lawyer, but as I understand it Conti settled for an undisclosed amount She had 30 days to appeal, and she did not. Every new appeal costs money. She was at risk of losing it all, and no doubt this is what her lawyer would have advised her. If she had appealed and lost, she would have ended up in debt!

• cofty
    cofty

The cult are getting called to account for the same sort of reckless disregard for child welfare all over the globe.

They just lost a major case in England where we are not so concerned for the sensitivities of religious folks.

They are being summoned to an inquiry in Australia.

Now when people think about this cult, child-abuse is one of the things that comes to mind.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Kind of irreverent to the circumstances though when it was quite clear the WTS under the elders of the two involving congregations were acting irresponsibility by never stating that a member had been previously charged with pedophilia and that it would be appropriate to watch out for this person's activity with children in his newly found congregation.

The most egregious part of this case was that his old congregation alluded to Jonathan Kendrick being actually good with children, totally white washing over his past behavior.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Finkelstein: Nitty Gritty says Remember her aim she said was not the money, but to change WT policy. WT policy was not changed.
    That remains to be seen for this is still new and recent of an event.

You are right Finkelstein. We don't know what repercussions or changes yet that may happen. Each case, each tiny step, is a victory.

True story:

Over 20 years ago, I took on the court system. Family court. I did not agree with the way custody was viewed in the court system at the time (Canada). So, I took on what I was told by many lawyers, was an unwinnable stance. I dug my heels in and went to war. I spent eight years in the court system, I lost track of the number of court appearances I made - in civil court, in criminal court, and in family court. Sometimes I had a lawyer, sometimes not. I represented myself many times - the law library became my home away from home sometimes. Sometimes I lost, sometimes I won, sometimes those victories felt like the end of the world because of the price I paid - both myself and my daughter paid terribly at times.

I even had lawyers refuse to represent me - but I also had lawyers who helped me out, who would give me advice and help me file papers with no charge. They were my cheerleaders!

But I kept fighting, and at the end of eight years, I won. I set precedent in the Family Court System. I know I did - because now, twenty years later, I hear of women winning custody battles on the same grounds of what I was the first to win on.

So I guess what I am saying is never give up - when you are right, you are right. Take the victories, learn what works and what doesn't. And keep on fighting. Change happens. It really does.

Yay! for Candace! She truly has emerged from battle with a flag of victory - a bit tattered and torn, but a victory nonetheless.

• Nitty-Gritty
    Nitty-Gritty
    @ScenicViewer

But Watchtower claims to be different from "every strata of society." Remember, JWs are "no part of the world," and there is supposed to be a "spiritual paradise" in the organization, a place of "special protection and safety" from the evils of this world, according to Watchtower.

These child molestation cases are proving that sexual molest of children, which exist in society in general, also exist among Jehovah's Witnesses. This shows that Watchtower is no better than the world it condemns.

There are also adulterers, fornicators, liars and the like in Congregations. But guess what, no one can control what you do, it is up to individuals to apply Bible principles and not do these things. Some lead a double life for a while, before they are found out, but once they are found out to be practicing these things they are disfellowshipped and no longer JWs.

• sir82
    sir82

no doubt this is what her lawyer would have advised her.

If I may repeat myself:

You have no idea what her lawyers advised her. You know nothing about anything about her.

You are a disingenuous trolling nitwit.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit