How do you feel about exJW's who resist our efforts to effect change?

by nicolaou 67 Replies latest jw experiences

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

I've met a few. I'm not talking about the JW who, whether Df'd or not, falls off the radar and just gets on with living a normal life - good luck to them and may there be many more!

I mean the former Jehovah's Witness who is now enjoying all the benefits of a cult free life thanks to the efforts of many bloggers, posters and activists, but is critical of the efforts of someone close them to free more JWs. He'll make comments like; "Why can't you just leave them alone? They'll leave if they want to."

It strikes me as hypocritical, as though they're happy to reap the freedom but unwilling to bear any inconvenience or responsibility.

ExJWs are not a united bunch nor should we be, we are not an 'organisation' so maybe I shouldn't really have a problem with this.

Just my Sunday morning ramblings but I welcome your comments . . .

• JeffT
    JeffT

I see to each his own. When I left there were a few activists; bloggers and posters didn't exist as the internet (at least as we know it) was still a number of years in the future. I think one of the best ways to get back at the Watchtower is to just go live your own life.

Maybe this makes me one of the people you're talking about.

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

Yes they will "leave if they want to," but they can't usually leave without some basic knowledge of how wrong Watchtower is, such as it's mainly failed predictions, how it controls peoples minds, it's hypocritical actions like being involved with the United Nations, etc.

This kind of information and how it gets delivered, mainly via the internet, is extremely valuable (at least it was to me). I am grateful to those who take the active approach after they leave the Organization.

• bsmart
    bsmart

I've read more than once on this forum that if you aren't already questioning the "truth" you'll reject the information that we have here. I am not opposed to leaving tidbits of information or asking questions that might make someone research the old literature.

I have a sister who is a true believer. Always gets exited about "new lite". Her kids are out and they have done a lot of anti-witnessing. She is happy to live her life vacation pioneering and still talks to us so I generally don't go there. She thinks I am sadly mistaken in my choices. I really hope she doesn't have any blood issues because she would be the martyr the WT likes to write about.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    Maybe this makes me one of the people you're talking about.

Not at all Jeff! You're right here making observations and sharing your thoughts. Don't underestimate that.

• clarity
    clarity

Those who are critical of all the efforts to expose wt seem a bit short sighted to me. Really these efforts have helped free so many. Even better, they serve as a warning to stay clear of all cults and learn to think for themselves!

Sending many thanks to all who work so hard in this worthy endeavour!

clarity

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

First off - I would like to express appreciation for using "effect" instead of "affect" as I believe that English is not your first language (many of which would have posted the reverse).

That having been said, I posted, mostly tongue in cheek, this post on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/exjw/comments/3c586t/disappointment_over_the_exjw_member_numbers/

So, yes, those who make the effort, may hopefully make their way out of the WT maze.

However, everyone must input into the equation that WT members have been subjected to decades of mind control, and family pressure.

Dismissing this control and pressure is hardly an overnight decision.

• steve2
    steve2

I did not need the internet to get out. I left in thr pre-internet days. It was publicity over Ray Franz - most of it from disdainful JWs - that helped me make up my mind to leave.

Some of the reasoning in the OP reflects shades of JW-thinking : we bring the good news to people and then they spurn it.

but back to topic: modt people who leave over doctrine or policy have already worked out a lot of stuff relating to TTATT. All this forum does is confirm or provide reassurance.

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

Not at all Jeff! You're right here making observations and sharing your thoughts. Don't underestimate that.

Agreed! Not everyone is going to be a Paul Gundy, a Randy Watters, a Barbara Anderson, a Cedars (www.jwsurvey.org), or an Eric of JWStruggle.com. These powerhouses serve a great purpose, but the every day ex-Witnesses who simply leave a comment offering an insight or two on forums like this are greatly appreciated.

It all adds up!

• Ruby456
    Ruby456
    skepticism about everything is a great quality to have

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit