JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES CAN'T GO TO THE RACES!

by minimus 31 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

The WT. of August 15, 2002 asks:"The violent and deadly gladatorial events of the Roman empire have been compared to what modern spectator sports? A recent exibit in the Colosseum in Rome, Italy, suggested modern parallels by including video clips of bullfighting, professional boxing,auto and motorcycle races, and spectator fights at other modern sports events.Early Christians took to heart that Jehovah does not love violence or violent ones,and neither should Christians today."....for further information see 6/ 15 page 29 2002 WT.

• gsx1138
    gsx1138
    .Early Christians took to heart that Jehovah does not love violence or violent ones,and neither should Christians today."....for further information see 6/ 15 page 29 2002 WT

Please try to remember this quote when Jehovah is in the midst of killing Billions at Armageddon.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

So-- all my die cast cars are out? Should I drink a coke from the Dale Ernhardt pop machine at the gas station. I suppose I'll go to sheol for rodeo'in too.

I guess a bull riding smurf wearing a nascar fire suit is a no no?

Edited by - hillbilly on 25 August 2002 22:46:11

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Does this mean I can't do the Pamplona bull run?

Expatbrit

• out4good3
    out4good3

I'll remember to point this out at the next JW Superbowl party....

• DJ
    DJ

Minimus,

i guess that pedophilia is not violent?

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

auto and motorcycle races

Wow, a fair number of my former JW associates were big into NASCAR, and I don't even live in the south U.S. This ain't gonna go over real well in Alabama.

Football (the American version) used to bother my conscience some when I was in. Seems like a pretty brutal, gladiatorial sport, imho. But American Football is a sacred cow that the WT wouldn't even consider condemning. I guess the WT does have its limits on what it can tell the R&F to do.

• myself
    myself

I am having a hard time with this one, what do the races have to do with gladiators???

• Scarlet
    Scarlet

you know, ben hur-like chariot races.

no right turn

• myself
    myself

Scarlet, thanks for the explaination, all I can say is "Control, Control, Control" I have to laugh at their comparisons.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit