Did John Denver hate the Witnesses?

by writerpen 38 Replies latest jw friends

• Xander
    Xander

No, never heard that one.

I *DID* hear the Charlton Heston hated dubs an awful lot - specifically because of their pacifist/no-gun leanings.

EDIT: (Again, back to USENET):

But Heston's die-hard affirmations of idiotic gun laws (which purpose that automatic weapons have a use for hunting) and his right-wing views (he views anything other than Christians -- which includes Islamics, Jehovah's Witnesses, Hare Krishnas and Hassidic Jews as inferior beings not worthy of "God's love")

I'm almost 100% sure this is BS, but it matches the JW urban legend I had heard close enough.

*sigh* - gotta LOVE the dubs - just aren't happy unless they are being "persecuted".

Edited by - Xander on 19 July 2002 12:5:2

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

I will only admit to barely being able to remember the Merv Griffin Show. Or Dick Cavett

But I don't remember that about CH. I do remember that JWs realy admired him but

I thought it was because of his portrayal of Moses.

• Salud
    Salud

Years ago when I lived in Colorado I was at a social gathering with Witnesses and this subject came up, and I asked if it was true that John Denver asked witnesses to leave his concerts, well one of my friend says, "yes it is true, I was there". I guess he asked all Witnesses to stand and then asked them to leave. There were other non-Witnesses there who were taken back by this and also walked off. No national anthem though.

On a side note I have heard Gloria Estefan does not like Witnesses either. But I never got rid of any of her albums though.

• Xander
    Xander
    "yes it is true, I was there"

Yeah, and a friend of mine talked with a governing body member on a Bethel tour about the UN thing

There are two explanations for your friends answer:

1) As I showed above, there was apparently one Denver concert after an assembly where JWs were 'hanging around' without tickets, and he asked them to leave. (Well, DUH, they didn't have tickets)

2) He is as full of hot air as my friend

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy
    1) As I showed above, there was apparently one Denver concert after an assembly where JWs were 'hanging around' without tickets, and he asked them to leave. (Well, DUH, they didn't have tickets)

Under the circumstances this makes sense. Besides in order for that to have happened

and thus leading to the episode on the tonight show they would have had to have been in a time capsule.

It just one of those incidents that started from something and latched onto the

JW grapevine and grew and grew and grew.

It happens. blah blah blah. Don't lose sleep over it.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    The reason he did that was because when Johnny Carson was still running the Tonight Show 50% or more of his staff were JWs

I find that very hard to believe that 50% of his staff were JW's for many reasons. That show works until about 8 or 9 at night. Could that many JW's be missing at their Tues/Thurs mtgs?

• Xander
    Xander
    that 50% of his staff were JW's

Oh, see, that was back in they heyday of the org - you know, before the current 'wild beast turning against babylon the great' thing. Back in the days when 50% of EVERY staff were JWs.

You remember then, right?

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

JW to Bob Hope - "I'm so glad you recognize that JW's aren't as bad as people say. Oh, and by the way, I hope you die before Armageddon so you get a resurrection."

I heard the John Denver thing when I was in. It wouldn't surprise me if he had it out for JW's, as he seemed really sentimentally patriotic.

I heard once that Clint Black would ask JW's to leave his concerts. Oh, big disappointment missing a Clint Black concert (yes, country music fans, feel free to be insulted by that).

• blondie
    blondie

I've been at several Clint Black shows and never heard him say that.

As to the John Denver story, it is one of those urban legends; sort of like the smurf doll story. I have friends who live near his "house" and they always laughed when someone brought that up. Their daughter worked for him and she was a JW. Can't seem to kill that story and who says there is no resurrection or immortality. (There has to be someone in the media that was there to hear that statement. I can't believe it didn't make a news article.)

There is an interesting song on this Clint Black album:

http://www.lisahartman-black.com/etc.html

Jehovah (Geoffrey P. Thurman) (from "Knots Landing") 2:32
    Consider the lilies of the field
    Solomon dressed in royal robes has not the worth of them
    Consider the lilies of the field
    He takes after each and every need
    Leave all your cares behind
    Seek him and you will find
    Your father loves you so
    And Jehovah I love you so
    And Jesus I want you to know
    All you've done for me to set me free
    I'll never let you go
    I'll never let you go
    Consider the creatures of the air
    For all of the diamonds in all the earth have not the wealth of them
    Consider the creatures of the air
    Jehovah loves them with tender hands
    He knows your every care
    His touch is always there
    To see you through the night
    I'll never let you go
    I'll never let you go

Edited by - Blondie on 19 July 2002 16:51:14

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

Double Edge et@l

EXCUSSSSSSSE ME....

I should have been more spicific.

THE CLEANING DEPARTMENT

I wasnt talking about Ed or The trumpet player and it probably didnt even include the GAFFERS

What the FuC*

Get over it

why dont you just write the man before senility sets in AND ASK HIM YOURSELF

Edited by - plmkrzy on 19 July 2002 16:56:25

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit